AF: Dodge CEO Confirms In Interview, There Is No New Viper Coming: | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge CEO Confirms In Interview, There Is No New Viper Coming:

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jul 30, 2018.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

2. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Makes sense, the Challenger is the Halo car now. As I read somewhere...Dodge has taken a page from Porsche and what they do with the 911.
    Don't mess with the basic shape and just offer many variants with trickle down of parts off the top end models.

3. Charger Red

Charger Red Well-Known Member

Yes, but..

911 has existed for a very long time which is a testament to the manufacturer's confidence in their product. Will (or has) Chrysler be (been) able to say the same for Challenger? Doubtful (no)....

4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

50 years counts as a long time to me.

5. Charger Red

50 years of Challenger models in production? Where, in Mexico or overseas? I think not.

Not even Charger has had a long halo car name run. Only New Yorker comes close to such a level of continuous production.

Mark my words. The name "Challenger" will go away within 10 years making it a victim of historical Chrysler name abuse.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  6. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Did you qualify it with continuous production? The Shape dates back 50 years.

So I guess you are now, So your point is FCA is bad and will ruin it someday.... Because?

Porsche good .... FCA bad

jam1 likes this.
  7. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Challenger isn't going anywhere unless they pull a 3rd generation Dakota on its design and people stop buying it

8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Which exactly what they are saying they are not going to do. They are going evolve the product and maintain the shape.

jam1 likes this.
  9. James A

James A Active Member

I understood that its going fully modern with only some retro nods in the design and possibly maintaining dimensions but unconfirmed... possibly going smaller.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  10. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I don't know...but were at what..10+yrs now of the current production Challenger? I'd bet Dodge did not expect the Chally to continue selling this well 10yrs later.
    I love that Dodge is giving us different versions of the car that are not just paint/stickers, but have some performance parts in them just like Porsche does with the 911 and all its variants.
    If they stick to that model and continue updating the piece parts/interior, they won't have to mess with the design much if any.

11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

the 911 is far from the original shape but you can see it. They need to evolve it along the way but maintain it essence. Dare I say as the Wrangler has.

AlfaCuda, Hemidakota, JKU12 and 7 others like this.
  12. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I have no way of knowing, but I really doubt they're still planning to go fully modern in design. The Challenger sales compared to the Camaro has probably taught them a thing or two about what people want in this type of car. It would also be a mistake to abandon the large size that sets the Challenger apart from rivals.

13. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

The best evolution would be to keep the size and classic design, while matching the Mustang and Camaro in handling and performance. That should be their only goal for the new car. A better looking and proportionate 70/71 Challenger while meeting or besting the mustang and camaro. PERIOD.

Marketing could take it from there, like that old Magnum commercial "what you got in that" (a ladder, a mattress, etc). Challenger could beat a Mustang GT though a drag race and a road course "What you got in there" A kid, my brother and mother in-law in the back seat, comfortably"

Ryan and freshforged like this.
  14. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

What insiders are saying is same overall size, but with less hangover front and rear. My feelings are probably same height, as that has proved popular with buyers. IMHO it would be a mistake to squash it ala Comero and Mustang, especially with the rest of the market going CUV.

Hemidakota, danbek and MoparJoe like this.
  15. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Challenger is the only American coupe with reasonable headroom. Camaro and Mustang are not really suitable for tall people.

JohnRogers and freshforged like this.
  16. Charger Red

Like any other loyalist, I hope for the best as well. This is where my heart resides. But as a quality professional my mind tells me that when an organization continues to change the names of their offerings, they do not express great confidence in their products. 911, Corolla, Accord, etc - these are all time tested brands. Just because I cite them as examples does not mean that I like them. I would wish that my Chrysler (Daimler, FCA, etc) produced products that rose to a level where they could also retain their original names. Informed people know what I'm saying,,,,

Since my comment (in post #5) is a prediction based on observed history, I let it stand on its own merits. Only time will tell what bears-out over the next 10 years. As long as the organization and this website endures I'm not going anywhere. So, we'll see what plays out - and then we'll be able to attest to the accuracy of my prediction.

#16 Charger Red, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Dodgeguy1961 and Beentherebefore like this.
  17. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

[/QUOTE]

wow the quote plus is your friend.... and so you didn't just later.... OK

18. Sigurdur

Sigurdur Member

Tragic. Just as the Viper was shaking off a bad early rep and making a name for itself as a track king that could take on all comers.

19. James A

James A Active Member

I've seen next gen Chally sketches and what I was told was that the design was pretty far along - meaning that the only changes to the images would be to the front and rear clip design and overall it was a very modern design. The shape of the body was very modern and more Camaro looking and less current gen Chally. The front end looked nothing like the current Gen and I was told that what I saw would be changed to have an edgy bandit face - but not like the current Chally bandit - more like the current Charger bandit face - just edgier and evolved. It looked like it could be large and have decent head room but its hard to tell with the illustrations because they exaggerate features ie low roof, big wheels etc.

The rear was Viper-esque. Overall I really liked it

AlfaCuda and Hemidakota like this.
  20. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Oh20 hinted that that design had been scrapped before he left, it was just drawings.