AF: Dodge CEO Confirms In Interview, There Is No New Viper Coming: | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge CEO Confirms In Interview, There Is No New Viper Coming:

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jul 30, 2018.

1. jam1

jam1 Well-Known Member

I may be going against the grain, but under the current circumstances, I still stand behind the belief that battery powered electric vehicles are not the answer. All it takes is someone to sell their idea to someone with money and off you go. It's about the money, not the environment. I hate to sound negative but that is what it simply seems. Don't believe me. Go read and study for yourself. It may sound old by now, but landfields will be full of batteries going down that path. What was it the folks who sold water in plastic bottles said?? I digress.

2. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Viper was a money pit. Not only was the roi minuscule (if not negative) but the days of kicking sand in the corvettes face were over.

3. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

They didn't care, straight from Sergio when he was repeatedly asked. The ACR spanked most if not all Ferrari's on the track.

4. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

If the "Fiat doesn't want a Dodge beating Ferrari" argument was true we wouldn't have gotten a new Viper in the first place. Not only that, we definitely wouldn't have gotten the ACR.

With that being said, I haven't seen a track where the ACR ran where the LaFerrari also ran a time (interestingly).

AlfaCuda, ScramFan and freshforged like this.
  5. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

It was one of the only profitable vehicles during the bankruptcy.

Your facts are wrong.

link3721 likes this.
  6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Allpar, they're still here but don't post due to what was said before

HotCarNut, ScramFan and freshforged like this.
  7. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Yep, both sets too. The ACR destroyed the vette and the last gen acr could hang with the current gen vette no problem.

8. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be the first time, won’t be the last. :D

Mopar02 likes this.
  9. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

True but then again, it can be converted for track running. The car is a turn-key product where much is already done.

James A likes this.
  10. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Well-Known Member

The 2010 Viper was the last Viper produced ( The end of the line event for the Gen IV occurred at the plant on July 1, 2010. I was there.) until it was brought back from the dead as the 2013 Gen V model. The bankruptcy was filed on April 30, 2009. On June 9, 2009, the United States Supreme Court issued its denial of the applications for a stay of the sale, which allowed the sale of assets to "New Chrysler" to proceed. Per the Viper Registry, the build dates for the 510 2010 Vipers built were 10/15/09 - 6/29/10. The build dates for the 660 2009 Vipers built were 2/12/08 - 10/19/09. The Gen V program was miraculously approved on a shoe string budget due to Ralph's passion and his ability to infect Mr. Marchionne with it. A VCA presentation also played a role.

As the owner of a 2014 Black Time Attack Viper, I will always be grateful to Mr. Marchionne for approving the Gen V build and for Ralph's passion to get it done. There will never, ever be another naturally aspirated, standard transmission car like it made by a manufacturer. It was, and is, a timeless and beautiful design. In some ways, it is the combination of a magnificent anachronism with enough current technology to make it perfect - at least for me.

Mr. Fusion, HotCarNut, hmk123 and 8 others like this.
  11. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, the Challenger Hellcat and Demon may be the halo cars now, but I can actually imagine the next Viper with a supercharger on top. Can anyone say 1000hp easy?

12. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Halo cars are great but I would like to see us get more product on the road. We need to flesh out the Chrysler brand ASAP. Chrysler should be our Buick.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  13. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Chrysler should be our Cadillac, not Buick. Chrysler should be very close to Maserati, not a full options Dodge. Or, as a thought, more of an original Imperial. What with the prices and all, it wouldn't take very much more to step up some components just a little bit to get there.

Donte Lindsey and MoparJoe like this.
  14. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Sorry but there’s no way Chrysler could be close to Maserati let alone a Cadillac competitor at this point (and Caddy isn’t doing so hot anyway). Let Chrysler flesh out its lineup with some premium styled and outfitted models first to establish its a brand that isn’t dead or worse, garbage. I’d love to see Chrysler have a hit product that could spawn an Imperial trim or model as the brand halo. Gotta crawl before you can briskly trot.

15. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I can totally agree with what you just said GasAxe, was kind of disappointed when MB started downgrading Chrysler down so much that she became equivalent to Dodge in many ways. I didn't say it would be an instant change overnight, but I believe it is something that should be strived towards, and if the old style of luxury (sic) is done with trim levels, and the trim levels are both wide enough apart but the price itself isn't tens of thousands of dollars apart from each other, you establish the higher trim models as being worthy of the cost, then the lower trim models go away. It could take 7-10 years to do this, which is the exact opposite that has been done with making models then decontenting them over time. Overnight, no, nobody, not even Lexus could do that.

Donte Lindsey and GasAxe like this.
  16. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

It could be done but it would take quite a period of time

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  17. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

It would not be hard to use the next gen Maserati frame to create another Dodge halo car. I believe the hardest part is never exceed your claimed premium brand output using the same platform. LOL

However, it is now a great time to purchase a used Viper.

18. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Here's the best thing that Sergio did for FCA (IMO), he wouldn't allow a glass ceiling on any brand and promoted brand strengthening. Dodge was allowed to create a "better" Ferrari if they could and to many, they did with the Viper and Demon. But here's where strong branding is so important because a "better" Dodge will never compete directly with a Ferrari or an Alfa Romeo. There are specific distinctions between what each brand represents and how the products are designed and drive. If each brand has distinct and desirable characteristics, they won't compete directly against each other to cause canabilization or inter-company fighting. I do hope within FCA engineers from Ferrari can admire the technical accomplishments of the Demon or even the Pacifica just the same way it's easy for us to admire a pure mechanical thoroughbred that is a Ferrari. In an alternate universe, Chrysler engineering became the darling of DCX when they showed what they could do with ME12. hopefully the staggering amount of lost opportunities from the DCX days will be realized within FCA.

And for the record, anytime is a great time to purchase a Viper.:)

19. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Completely disagree with regards to the Mustang. I'm 6'4" and never came close to brushing the roof with my head in my 2016 Shelby.

20. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I haven’t been in the newest Mustang, but the previous generation was not good for me. I am 6’5. The Camaro is VERY tight.

James A, MoparJoe and HotCarNut like this.