AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 100 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

Because in recent times they've never "come forward with the final plan" this far from production start. They may know everything -- or at least think they know everything -- but not be ready to talk about it. Information is controlled for maximum marketing impact.

From Chrysler's point of view there's no need for you to be getting your order in now. That's between you and your dealer. They'll open up the ordering system when they're ready, presumably right before cars start coming down the line at Brampton.

Oh, and don't assume you know the production date for sure. We're anywhere from four to twenty-two months from production, depending on which rumor you believe on which day... :lol:

2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I am sure Dodge doesn't want to take away from any press the new 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 gets at NAIAS. So I doubt we will see a new Challenger pre-production model there. However, I would not doubt to see the SEMA Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept there. I am sure we will see a production Challenger model sometime either during the Woodward Dream Cruise or the next SEMA Show... or so I was told by a friend.

redriderbob

3. trublu69

trublu69 Active Member

:D
    :D G. Jetson that's true regarding the prod. dates, I was loosely quoting a DCX rep (?? low on the totem pole engineer) I talked with at an event, after letting some interesting factoids out, what looked like one of his bosses excused him for an, I guess "overdue break", didn't see him around during the rest of the event.

When things like that happen and the information you hear, you have a tendency to read between the lines and make your own judgements. It will be interesting to see what was speculation and what is reality???????????????

4. georgejetson

Supporter

That long? I figured we'd see something new and Challenger-related during the current show season, if only to keep the buzz going. Maybe at Chicago, where Pontiac is said to be unveiling their new direction?

And it isn't the Viper that they're worried about upstaging at NAIAS... it's those big square kid-haulers, aka The Company's Most Important Products.

5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Yes, Pontiac is supposely showing off their new Holden Commodore-based Pontiac G8 Sedan in Chicago. However, a debut at Woodward would be a cool event and would align itself w/ Challenger production.

redriderbob

6. Charger

Level III Supporter

Dodge should be showing a Challenger convertible concept at Detroit to counter the camaro convertible. Oh well

7. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Quickly lost interest in auto show season now, I admit to being a bit myopic this season. I want Challenger news all day all the time.

8. georgejetson

Supporter

The PR focus at NAIAS has to be on the minivans. It's their most important product, period. I suspect they'll do something Challenger-related during the current show season to keep the buzz going, but I'll be a little surprised if it's at NAIAS. The Viper update will be enough to keep the gearheads buzzing for now.

9. noliebro

noliebro Active Member

who wants to bet they will give out pricing, thats what i am hoping at least, they better, i have been waiting forever for that info

10. georgejetson

Supporter

Oh? Did he say anything else worth mentioning? We sort of collect interesting factoids here: bring 'em in, pin 'em to the wall, and see how/if they all match up.

Welcome, btw.

11. If you are referring to pricing for the Challenger, no way. You won't see that until we are much closer to production.

12. georgejetson

Supporter

What oh2o said. If Challenger follows recent CG practice, we'll know timing and trim lines and powertrains before we know pricing.

13. bigdaddywiz

bigdaddywiz Member

does anyone know if the challenger will make its rounds this car show season to lesser known venues, like pittsburgh? we have a newer nicely sized convention center here and a fair amount of cars at our car show, but all i want to see is the challenger in person.

so does anyone know if pittsburgh is one of the challenger's stops this year?

14. 88Diplomat

88Diplomat Member

I guess I just prefer how GM has V for Cadillac, (nothing for Buick :lol: ) GXP for Pontiac and SS for Chevy. Not just one thing for GM. To me this is as if in the '60's, they just made Dodge and Plymouth R/Ts, or did a mix and match with the Scat Pack and Rapid Tranist System.

15. georgejetson

Supporter

Do we need to have the "it's not 1968 anymore" discussion again? It's a much much different world now. In the current crowded marketplace, simplicity of identification is a plus. "SRT" is a trademark that has meaning for people. It took a lot of work to build that trademark, to invest it with meaning and credibility. How much more work -- how many more dollars -- would it have taken to build two or three trademarks? Would that have been a good use of the company's resources?

16. 88Diplomat

88Diplomat Member

The biggest problem is THAT it's not 1968 anymore. I wish it was. I wish there were no fuel injection, ABS, airbags, PCM's, iPods, DVD's, Starbucks or internet forums ;). I wish I could buy a new 440 Polara. I wish our country was planning a trip to the moon NEXT YEAR. I wish freedom was on the march in Prague, Paris and Chicago. I wish Led Zeppelin 1 had just come out. I wish we were embroiled in an unwinable imperialistic war in a hot wet place instead of in a hot dry place. And I wasn't even born yet in 1968. A man can wish, can't he?

17. Jeep_J4000

Jeep_J4000 Guest

Wow, I'm glad you're not in charge! :lol:

Not everything was rosy in '68 either.

18. 88Diplomat

88Diplomat Member

But at least there was Plymouth! :rolleyes:

(Ducks and Covers)

19. Jeep_J4000

Jeep_J4000 Guest

Aah! :lol:

20. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

From what I remember, Chrysler was on top at NASCAR and the drag strip. Only things that failed these cars were starters and alternators and for $50 and 30 minutes time you could replace them yourself. In the North East you would get your first rust hole before the 5 year 50K warranty ran out. After the warranty ran out the next time the starter failed you sold the car for $100 or junked it and bought another. Why not, fast cars were cheap and sensible cars were even cheaper. A new four door 6 cylinder Valiant was just north of $2K, V8 Auto Charger was $3.4K, 383 roadrunner the same price, track ready 440 added $600 that was with heavy duity trans, axels, battery, suspension, tires, and power steering. Best of all unless you were a bad driver or really unlucky these things didn't break. If you took care of them 250,000 miles was easily accomplished but not too many people did. I would be Just as safe in a 68 Chrysler in a crash as a new one but you could repair the 68 at a very reasonable price.