AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 101 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. scook6

scook6 Member

I was riding in the back of a 68 300 at that time. I really would much rather be riding in a new 300 today. The ride is much better, safer, and cooler ours had an add on air unit that if you got stopped in traffic it would overheat. I was 8yrs old at the time, Chrysler made as good a cars as anyone at that time and you all can flame me but Bob is right. We still have a 1974 Plymouth Road Runner and as nice as it is to look at and cruise in for short trips, my butt tells me that the cars and trucks today are far more comfortable to ride in and safer to drive. Things were not all that rosey in 68 guys I'm sorry to say.

2. DGdaPilot

DGdaPilot Active Member

I own a 76 Cordoba with the 400 V8 (a bigger version of the 383). She cokes up and burns exhaust valves a few times. But she's gone nearly 200,000 without a rebuild.

3. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Bob,
    For some reason I remember my friends 440 road runner as a 68, may have been a early 69. As far as the 383 goes, it is hard on the rear Valves but tell my 383 1968 Chrysler to roll over and die at 250,000 miles. I had a Toyota bounce off my door in a New Jersey "circle". needed a door skin, the Toyota was towed. A lot of people I've met have a story "something like" I had one like yours till I was hit by a tractor trailer at 200,000 miles. Still several besides mine running around here. Sorry but none of my friends ever broke a "stock" motor. There was one guy with a loaded 440 Charger that had a 410 rear decided to cruse 120 miles with the engine wide open and the AC on on a hot summer day. He switched to Chevy Caprice and they deserved him. Probably drives an Accura now. Turned every bearing. My brother snapped a phone pole in half with my 1968 Plymouth, not even bruised, kept the car for another 2 years. It did push the engine into the firewall and broke the rear springs but the insurance company fixed it anyway. I was told by the insurance guy that he would have been dead in any other car. Maybe your friends were more brutal than mine, but I doubt it. We have to swap stories some day. How about a "Fish Story" Forum?

Starters and alternators could be rebuilt with new brushes and bushings available for about $10 or you could have them rebuilt for $20.

Air conditioning in all cars was an afterthought and an exception, most cars would over heat in traffic with the AC on. Never needed air conditioning till I got married.

With all their short comings US cars were on top, and what seems like endless choices in body styles and colors. You need to compair Chrysler's and American manufacturers positions 1968 positions to today. Things were much more rosey then

Burned valves were easy and cheap to fix. Not like the DOHC multi valve aluminum head wonders.

I don't deny the progress of the new cars, handle, stop and pollute way less but I haven't seen so many part failures in new vehicles and its harder to fix them yourself. Bodies now outlast the drive train. Repair estimates were free, now there is a $90 charge for a computer test! Anyone want one, I got the box, you bring the coffee.

Given a choice, I would take a new car on a trip but would race an old car at the drag strip.

My main purpose was to ramble and put the Challenger posting around again. As far as vehicles, this car is all the hope i got.

4. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

Can you please post the pic???Autoweek claim that the pic is no longer available.?????? PLEASE POST IT PLLLLLLEASE. :(

5. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

Um, these were all over the net in late 2005 (check the date of the original post you responded to). They're not new news. The Car Connection still has those same pictures online here, if you're really interested.

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

[​IMG]

If you are looking for the newest real world pictures of the original Dodge Challenger Concept, then Edmunds.com has the most up to date ones...

CLICK HERE To See The Article:

redriderbob

7. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

unfortunately that article has been around forever

no new pictures there that I can see

8. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Any more about the test mules, when we might see more and what types?

9. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

Todays Challenger Question!

What is Saturday April 21st., 2007 ???

Go Ahead Guess !!!!!!!!!

THE "Some Times Too Early, But Always Right" MAD DUCK B)

It's Got Something to Do With the MAD HATTER !

10. the cp

the cp Active Member

planned first full-on challenger "top-hat" to run down the assembly line?

11. wrwolf

wrwolf Guest

I think its the first day that the temp will top 70 degrees in Philly since January.
    ;)

OK.....so please tell!

12. jwhite

Supporter

what he said

13. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

bit off topic, but I did a search and couldn't find any real tests of the 2008 Viper, nor any real-world acceleration/quarter mile times...

14. SRT10 coupé

SRT10 coupé Member

They haven't tested it yet (at least the results aren't out yet). Dodge says its 0-60 is below 4 seconds... uhmmmm, like the current SRT-10, but faster, I suppose. I suppose that mag tests should come out around May-July, to start building anticipation for its debut.
    Speculation in the VCA forums is putting it in the low-11 second 1/4 mile (11.2-11.5 quarter mile, with MT posting the lowest number), with some posters claiming that the non-run craps, new differential/tranny, better engine, good driver and near-perfect conditions might help it break into a 10 seconds sprint, but that might be wishful thinking and those near-perfect conditions could be... difficult to achieve.

Back to topic: has anyone seen this video? That's one heck of an engine sound B) Cool pics, also.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...cleId=120457#10

15. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

Tommorow is the Challenger's 1st Un-Birthday ! (-1 Birthday)

We Still Have to Wait 1 More Cycle of the Sun !

THE MAD DUCK :rolleyes:

It May Better If GM Drops the Rear Wheel Drive Cars !

No Camaro ?

16. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

They said the G8 and the Camaro will go on from what i read.

17. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

[​IMG]

This is the reason why God, put me on the face of the earth!

redriderbob

18. Mopar_4_U

Mopar_4_U Guest

Over on Edmunds.com / Inside Line you can put some sound to that "reason for being" rrb.. Allow me to enlighten you with the following link

Black Pro Stock Concept

*WARNING* This video may cause a sudden increase in blood pressure, heart rate, dizziness, loss of bowel control, loss of motor functions, inability to speak tangibly, drool, extended sick leave, 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd mortgages, A.D.D. and complete loss of common sense. If you should experience any of these symptoms, please, share the video with a friend so that you are not alone in your suffering.

19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

[​IMG]

I rathier just have a street version... dang I look good! lol.

redriderbob

20. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Why Not Call it Challenger?

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384...1-21822,00.html