AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 105 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I have to totally agree with this. Duster92, if people wait, then there is going to be an even less chance to catch up because there will be both the Mustang and the Camaro to deal with. The whole idea of building a car is to sell them. If ChryCo was into selling small volume cars, they should have stuck with DCX since their idea was to make small volume cars to compete with themselves and nothing else. The V6 (most likely a 4.0), would really step up the possibilities. In the charger sedan, since it is a Dodge 4door family car with performance engine options only, any performance enhancements for the 4.0 are next to zero. The only way there are going to be improvements for that engine is through a sporty 2door and not a 4door FWD car.
    The idea of the Challenger is not to have only top of the line cars for middle-aged babyboomers only, or rich kids or racy executives, it should be for the masses and of volume to be on the streets, not showrooms. I remember the last Thunderbird retro cars. A very nice retro that really did the 55-57 Thunderbirds justice, but they were so expensive they never got off the ground properly, which was/is quite sad given the appearance of that car. I just don't want the new Challenger to be another show car only vehicle which requires the initial "flash and fancy" to "wear off" before anyone is able to purchase one. That reminds me of the demise of the 90s Avenger and Stealth, which was a shame they only lasted two or three years because they were overpriced and underpowered (in some cases) and people didn't buy them.
    Price the Challenger equal to the charger sedan and then they will sell in good volume, or better, because it is equivalient to what it is equal to monetarily and make the 392 the SRT-8 model, which would fetch more understandably.

2. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Hey well done georgejetson.

Can you ask your "factory Contact" if he has seen or heard of any Right Hand Drive Challenger dash Mock-ups, for all those "Foreigners" out there? :p
    Tah.

Please mister Chrysler, enough of those 4X4 Suv thingys already!, OK.

3. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

There are plenty of people doing "regular track runs" in Charger SRT-8s... and the new Challenger isn't that much bigger than a 4th gen Camaro.

4. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

so you think the R/T will indeed get the 6.1, perhaps as an option?

5. georgejetson

Supporter

I think the R/T, the $31k "will cost less than a Mustang GT convertible" car, IS the 6.1. I don't think that's an SRT -- I think the SRT suspension and the Brembos and whatnot will come later, with a bigger Hemi. See my recent posts to the big Challenger thread for the what and why.

6. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

A-men!!

7. 71GTX

71GTX New Member

I am getting excited, but I am really torn between the Challenger and the Camaro. Can't wait to see the production models at the 08 auto show.

8. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

The Challenger is certainly a lot more retro than the Camaro, although the Camaro does have a lot of retro cues that I am gradually noticing. I
    am curious if that will affect the market for each vehicle. Personally, I think the Camaro looks great, but would go for a Challenger myself just
    because it's a Challenger (and has a HEMI and does look good).

9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I would totally take a nice Dodge Challenger SXT w/ a 3.5L HO and 6-speed manual transmission for everyday use.

redriderbob

10. aeromaestro

aeromaestro Member

There ya go, I fixed the "errors" in bold. :lol:

11. 58dodge

58dodge Guest

I wish you could order like you used to... strip down car is you want, big engine. Forget all the power everything, I can roll my own windows down and move my seat manually. But since that will never happen, at least make a v6 option with nice rims and not to stripped down exterior cues. I at least want to look like I can go fast, even if I cannot afford to really fly.

12. patricklynch

patricklynch Mopar starship captain

I'm much inclined to agree.

13. BigM

BigM Active Member

Better hope even that is right..... 4-speed with the V6 in the Charger and 300 this year :)

14. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

4-Speed in 2007.

What a laugh. :mellow:

15. noliebro

noliebro Active Member

the 4 spd auto should have been dead by 2000, the only major flaw of the 2.7l v6 is the stupid tranny

16. BillP2R

BillP2R Guest

Why do so few understand that the new Challenger is not a pony car, but a full size (by current standards) coupe with styling evocative of the '70's pony cars?

------------------------- Bill

17. georgejetson

Supporter

I think it gets called a "pony car" because that's the term presently used to identify its principal competition. But really, the correct term is "muscle car". :D

At launch, it'll be the only 2+3 2-dr car of its kind. Pontiac is supposedly going to do another GTO; I keep wondering if it'll have a 3-place back seat.

18. aeromaestro

aeromaestro Member

I could live with a 4 speed tranny. When I had the Satellite, the 3 speed it had proved quite adequate.

19. oharman

oharman Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on the Camaro. I saw Transformers last night and the car looked really good. I was kind of feeling guilty since I want a Challenger so much! OT: The movie was great! Even for a commercial for GM products...

OJ

20. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

Well, if we could convince them to at least give us a "Roadrunner" package with only power steering, power brakes, and at most a basic CD player then I'd be happy...