AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 114 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

I bet it's not going to Europe until/unless they know they can produce enough for North America while still keeping the other models coming out of Brampton.

2. chazcron

chazcron Member

Just another concept to production guess:

[​IMG]

3. CanadianJeepYJ

CanadianJeepYJ The NEW Chrysler's Armchair CEO

There will be Euro version.....just NA.

4. oh2o

Level III Supporter

????

5. CanadianJeepYJ

CanadianJeepYJ The NEW Chrysler's Armchair CEO

6. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

It looks like Chevy is very serious in winning the new muscle car wars. Dodge better watch its pricing and production numbers of the Challenger if it wants to avoid losing buyers to the "dark side." Read the following article that appeared in GM Inside News:

Camaro May Get Direct-Injection V8

"The Chevy small block V8 has been around in one form or another longer than many current GM engineers have been alive, but continuous updates continue to keep the venerable powerplant relevant. GM is currently developing the world's first overhead valve Direct Injection engine, giving the 6.2L test engine big gains in horsepower and torque while bumping fuel economy from 3% to 6%.The 6.2L currently pumps out up to 403HP without DI in the Escallade, but Dave Sczomak, development engineer-GM Powertrain Advanced Engineering, says the technology will bump power to well over 450HP.

Perhaps even more exciting is the possibility that the anxiously awaited Camaro may receive a variant of the engine. The mere thought of the ultra-sexy Camaro packing over 450HP without added boost could make us want to have a smoke. While we're hoping the Camaro gets the DI engine, the halo status of the Corvette makes the two-seater a shoo-in for the improved engine. That would give the base 'Vette nearly 500HP, and it boggles the mind to imagine the output of a Z06/SS/Blue Devil.

Editor's Note: There's no reason to believe GM wouldn't drop the DI V8 in both Corvette and Camaro. Back in December, a source we spoke to who was familiar with Camaro powertrain discussions told us that there was a faction pushing for seriously big power in the Camaro. When we asked exactly how big, the individual smiled and held up five fingers. We'll learn how that pans out in due course. Then in January at NAIAS, Ed Peper specifically told us that there were no concerns with having Camaro step on Corvette, power-wise, as the two cars have such different market positioning -- sports car vs. muscle car. Plus, the ZR1 ensures that there will be a Corvette with power that greatly exceeds that of Camaro anyway. No matter how things play out, there's good reason to expect some real excitement."

See:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevy-camar...pt/242308/full/

7. RadarmagneT

RadarmagneT New Member

So... the current Hemi 6.1 ALREADY has 425 HP... and it's 3 years old.
    The next version will have MDS as well I believe. I'm sure some boost to power.

And if Chrysler can get VVT (cam w/in cam) they will pass what GM plans...
    While still being able to add DI down the road.
    Hopefully, Cerberus gets serious with the head start.

Still waiting to see if GM protects of the next generation controllers like Chrysler does.

8. georgejetson

Supporter

VVT coming, bigger Hemis coming, DI maybe coming, dual-clutch shifters coming... I think the honor of Mopar will be well-defended. :)

Though the point about protecting controllers is a good one. I bet GM DOESN'T protect 'em. I also bet Chrysler rethinks that approach -- always sounded like a German thing to me -- but we'll see.

9. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Protecting controllers are we talking XBox or cars here? Seriously what does that mean?

10. georgejetson

Supporter

Chrysler won't make their cars' computer code available to the aftermarket. That's why there are so few aftermarket mods available for the Hemis. Compare with GM or Ford, where there are lots and lots and LOTS of mods out there.

11. JohnRogers

Yeah big mistake, pisses off the rodder crowd and blocks the new young ones from coming on board. Stupid.

12. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

Maybe the nonexistant marketing campaign for the Challenger is about to gear up. I sure hope so. I am getting tired of "appearances" of the concept car accompanied by "reps" who know less than us!

The reason for my optimism is that Toyota's top North American executive, Jim Press, has been named vice chairman and president of Chrysler's sales, marketing, and product strategy.

He is described by the Center for atomotive reserarch as "the "an industry icon that gets people's attention."

Tom LaSorda will stay on as co-vice chairman and president of manufacturing and purchasing.

Jim Press, however, is coming on board when the company is in the midst of a restructuring and expects to shed 13,000 hourly and salaried jobs by 2009.

13. georgejetson

Supporter

Why do you think they need a "marketing campaign" for a car that won't be at dealers for nine months yet?

PS: those "appearances" ARE the marketing campaign. They'll do the big launch in Chicago, we'll see it on all the magazine covers, and that'll be that. If you're expecting a blizzard of TV and magazine ads, ask yourself why they'd bother when they'll probably sell all they can make for the first year or so without anything more than the above.

14. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

I would prefer the unvieling in Detroit at the NAIAS instead of Chicago. I know that Chicago was mentioned before, but why???????????

15. the cp

the cp Active Member

maybe they've got some really interesting concept or pre-production model for Detroit and don't want the Challenger to overshadow it (or be overshadowed by it)?

16. georgejetson

Supporter

Chicago is later -- closer to the time when the cars will start to hit dealers.

Chicago is also less likely to be a show where a competitor drops something that blows everyone away and grabs all the coverage.

17. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Because the Chicago show is the biggest and best, that's why. And because I personally asked them to. ;)

Read in a syndicated column in the paper today that, while the production car would have the full-width taillight panel, the entire panel wouldn't light up like the concept's does. I cannot confirm or deny if that is true.

18. chazcron

chazcron Member

I thought that was rather obvious from the spy shots that showed the brake lights only illuminated at each end. Where the turn signals are is what's gnawing at me...

19. georgejetson

Supporter

Strat, do you have a link to that -- or the name of the writer? I'd like to track that down. Thanks.

20. JohnRogers

Oh NO WAY, I have been betrayed again. No leaf springs, no airbag and radio deleteā€¦a B-PILLAR!!!! I will not buy this car now it is so ChINO. :lol: