AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 156 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. chazcron

chazcron Member

Here's to hoping...

2. fast98dodge

fast98dodge Totally Spent
    Level 2 Supporter

Wow... Interesting... Here the enthusiasts get their RWD 2 door and they have found something (interior) to gripe about... Amazing...

3. chazcron

chazcron Member

Ahh, but only some gripe, others were prepared for this eventuality and met it with appropriate expectations.

4. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

What is important I’m still buying the car, the concept interior got nearly the same reviews as the exterior from the enthusiasts and writers. We’re complaining about the same thing sedan buyers are complaining about.

5. fast98dodge

fast98dodge Totally Spent
    Level 2 Supporter

Maybe I'm just not around that many new cars, but my buddy's mom's Magnum R/T has a great interior if ya ask me... I guess what I'm getting at is I don't understand what is so "bad" about the LX interiors...

6. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

Exactly. I don't care what the interior looks like, really... I'll buy one, drive it until the doors fall off, and then put it away until I'm retired and can restore it with my grandkids. Doesn't matter.

7. oh2o

Level III Supporter

It's Wednesday the 30th, is it time to drag out some more Challenger news?

Hint:

Hypothetical story, taking place perhaps just weeks from now:

Challenger customer: (calling his local salesperson) Hello Bob? Yeah, this is Fred. I just picked up my 2008 Challenger today and I noticed it was missing a few features...

Bobisthesalesman: What? What features are you referring to??

Challenger customer: There's no windshield wipers, and the forecast is calling for rain!

Bobisthesalesman: No wipers?? Really? What the ____?

Challenger customer: Yeah, and something else, there's no heater or air conditioning controls!!

Bobisthesalesman: Huh?? I don't know what to tell ya, I'll have to check with the sales manager and see what's going on. I'm sure that wipers and A/C would come standard. But you know, it's a "retro" vehicle and they may have left those features off.

Challenger customer: Wait, there's one more problem, something my wife noticed... the back seat is missing!!!

Bobisthesalesman: Gasp! Maybe one of the other sales guys here borrowed the parts for another vehicle and didn't tell anyone...

Challenger customer: Well I've never heard of that before but I guess it might make sense. Please call me back as soon as you can so we can get this resolved. Oh, I almost forgot, I thought you had told me that this vehicle came with a 6-point something engine, but I noticed it has a "5.9", I'm really confused here.

Bobisthesalesman: Will do. Don't worry though, we can order replacement rear seats, wipers and the controller thingy and have our service dept. install everything, shouldn't take more than a day or two to get the parts. And I'll look in the book to see what engine you are supposed to have, or maybe one of those internet sites has the info. You know, I heard they are planning on using 10 or 20 different engines in the Challenger, maybe you got a real unique model or something...

Challenger customer: Ok. Meanwhile I'm going to jump on Allpar.com and see if they have any updated Challenger info.

Bobisthesalesman: Good idea, but you know how the internet is, so many rumors and such. Just call me anytime and I'll get you the straight scoop.

Challenger customer: Well if I can't trust my car salesman, who can I trust? Thank you for looking into this and have a nice day.

8. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

This seems to had gone silly. I agree with the fellow who said after you drive it awhile the steering wheel won't matter. Heck, I would not care if mine had a push button transmission.

9. bigdaddywiz

bigdaddywiz New Member

a stripper model oh2o?

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

11. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

So, how much of that can be achieved by stripping the interior out and putting in a fibreglass racing seat?

*grin*

12. faterotong

faterotong Member

I'm guessing not street legal, eh? :p

13. dakota2112

dakota2112 Active Member

That's interesting. :blink:

14. georgejetson

Supporter

Wow, a super stock Dodge. We've heard the rumors for awhile, but it's nice to see it coming so soon. Clearly this was sold to management as part of the marketing plan.

The little old lady from Pasadena will be bummed! :lol:

15. dodge-guy

dodge-guy Member

Check Allpar´s Challenger Page it´s Awsome?

Oh2o does the scoop works for a blower or super charger?

A 5.9 option? that´s stunning, i thought there was a HEMI for carburated aplications, so why the need for a 5.9? i love the magnum engine though.

16. georgejetson

Supporter

That picture is of a concept from last year... AFAIK, there are no pictures of the production Super Stock Challenger floating around yet.

17. dodge-guy

dodge-guy Member

Not even wipers or defroster

Pure Drag Race Machine...but a have a few questions

is the rollcage included?

does it has plastic windows?

regular dash? or just gages over the firewall?

the head lights work? or are just plastic gimicks? (i know that none working headlights could be out of regulations for Super Stock )

I just want to see one here at my Showroom ASAP

18. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Torqueflite transmission ?? (sorry.....couldn't resist)

19. fargo59

fargo59 Well-Known Member

i believe that current NHRA rules state that the brake and tail lamps must work for that class, i think headlamps are required too, but to me, it sounds like this is a challenger body and a mopar catalog thrown at it. so im guessing custom sheet metal dash with "mopar" autometer gauges. judging by the weight loss, id say glass windows still 800lbs isnt that much really, especially when you think of what has been eliminated. every module on board, airbags, HVAC, plumbing, catytic converters, interior trim, carpets, rear seats, special brakes, special hood, core support, cooling module, etc. the use of the 5.9 magnum tells me that they are serious about getting any sale possible. not because the engine is the ultimate (its not IMHO) but because it shows that they are providing people with options in a very niche market. it also shows that this car will have no bus system whatsoever, meaning no real functions aside from stop, go, steer.

20. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

My earlier comment aside, I'd bet that it has a dash similar to stock (if not stock) as many racing classes require a dash to be present anyway, and I'd imagine that it would have wiring for headlights and tail lights, even if headlights aren't installed, or maybe they'll send a headlight-delete kit in the same manner that one receives a front license plate holder with a new car.

What it doesn't say is if the carpet itself is removed. It also does seem to indicate that there are two front seats in the car, but I'm expecting that they're either Challenger-only seats or else are the lightest weight seats that Chrylser makes (Viper? Caliber? SRT-4 Neon?) and wouldn't be very much fun for anything other than racing.

Well, since they state that they're offering both the modern Hemi and the 5.9L Magnum, my guess is that you can get a Torqueflite. The manual transmission option is probably a Tremec like the Viper has. It might even have a live axle instead of rear independent suspension, and it'd probably be a Dana unit.

Anyone know what wheel bolt patterns are common with NHRA Mopars? I'm wondering if they're setting these up with 5 on 4.5" instead of the 5 on 115mm if there are more wheel packages perferred in that bolt pattern.

What I'd really like to see would be a street-legal version, where they give as many of these treatments as possible to a Challenger that can still be registered for use on the street, with the exception of deleting the back seat. Strip the sound deadening, most of the HVAC (leave "vent" and maybe windshield defogger), radio, power anything. Leave a simple tilt column, turn signals, headlight controls, windshield wiper controls (small washer bottle if any at all). Put the 5.7L V8 into it with the computer and OBD-II connection, give the option for the Tremec or for the slushbox, and give the option of either the independent rear suspension or else a live axle. Use the SS wheel bolt pattern, front and rear track. If it'll meet safety specifications, leave out the production bumper inserts and go with the SS configuration. Probably don't bother with the special swappable front crossmember if it's street legal, or make it optional. What interior parts from the current police Magnums and Chargers would be useful?

They'll probably not build a street legal version, but it would be nice if they did. I'd be half-tempted to get one, even with my dislike of automobile financing.

The 360 is very easy to build too. It's not ultimate, but if a neophyte like me can build one (I'd better finish it before I keep saying this) then I'd bet that someone who knows the engine well can really go to town.