AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 169 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Ramtuff

Ramtuff Member

I've been debating between an 09 Challenger R/T or a 10 Dodge Ram 1500 Diesel, but after the press conference today and the release of all the info and pics, I have to have a Challenger. Although I do have a few small grips, they really knocked this one out of the park. I'm really amped up now!

2. fsvoboda

fsvoboda Active Member

This is true, but I don't mind a Civic the size of the original Accord since if I were going to buy a Honda that new Civic would be the car I would want. I do mind a pony car that is verging on draft horse size, no matter how fast. Bigger is not better for sporty cars, in my opinion. Take this trend far enough and we are all driving Ford Expeditions, fine for what they are, I suppose, but not my cup of tea.

3. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

This car is NOT a pony car. It is a big full size coupe. Pony cars have a 108 inch wheelbase. This car has a 116 inch wheelbase.

4. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Well-Known Member

Didnt oh20 or whatever its name is say that the 6.1 will be tweaked for '09? Add a 3.92 rear gear, lower parasitic losses thru the 6-spd trans, and the supposed power bump. Portends mid 12's. Worth waiting for.

5. retroboy

retroboy Guest

Where is this button?

6. dodge-guy

dodge-guy Member

Well the Challenger the way i see it it´s what the Charger we all wanted to be from the start.

I really love the car, its Awsome, and brings back a lot of Dodge´s mojo. it´s just historically a bit wrong cuz it´s not a Pony Car, or Fish Car i migh add.

7. fsvoboda

fsvoboda Active Member

For weight comparison, Wikipedia reports the original Mustang V8 at about 3,000 pounds fully equipped. Even allowing for more robust construction and equipment for safety, a 4140 pound Challenger is playing in a different corral.

Another (probably unfair) comparison: I have seen the C6 (current) base Corvette V8 reported at 3180 pounds, compared to the C2 (mid-1960s) at 3565.

8. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Bring on the black one!

9. Unfortunately no tweaks for the 6.1L are coming, oh20 said this a little while back.

The 6.1L with the stick is going to be a mid 12 second car anyhow. The auto is going to have high 12 second potential like the Charger SRT-8.

Here's another prediction. The updated 5.7L with 380hp and the Tremec manual is going to run the same as the 6.1L with the auto. About 4 tenths worth of horsepower is eaten up by the WA580's torque management alone.

10. jwhite

Supporter

11. woodstock

woodstock New Member

My '72 Challenger weighed 3200. At 4150, the new one is almost 1/2 ton heavier.

Still, even with the extra weight, the performance numbers for the new Challenger are pretty good - even better than the old one. More power, and better gas mileage.
    Better brakes. Way, way better. The doors probably won't sag. You won't have to slam them closed. The windows won't go off track. The guages will work. The steering will be precise, not wandering all over the road. The dash won't crack into a spiderweb pattern. I still miss it. I must be some kind of masochist.

12. retroboy

retroboy Guest

Why is Dodge posting a different interior to what's in the autoshow car( their website and their flickr account) ? Didn't they have time to take pictures of the "final" one?

Is the silver gauge surround preproduction as the dodge website says it or is it in the 2009 cars like in that silver 2009 R/T?
    The other thing I noticed was that the area around the three large dials in the center stack is flat in the preprod pictures and indented in the showcar.

I think the silver surround and the flat dial area preprod picture looks a lot better.

13. dfarc

dfarc Well-Known Member

2. Non-functional hood scoops

Heard these will be functional on the 6.4L

4. Charger bucket seats (not ribbed design)

Challenger I seen at factory had ribbed seats, manual and 5.7 - you will see your ribbed seats in 2009

14. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

It looks like today was all about the 2008 SRT, when will the details on the 2009 other models come up?

HOO-AHH!

15. bigdaddywiz

bigdaddywiz New Member

i thought the scoops were at least vented. it looks like a honeycomb texture with open holes. i could be wrong. anyone at the show see them in person?

16. Did you own a stripper V6? A 383 Challenger in 1970 weighs around 3600lbs. The 2009 Challenger with the V6 should be down around 3800lbs.

17. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Is it me or does it look like there is a suade(sp) insert on the door panel above the arm rest?

18. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

There is. It's mentioned in the description on dodge.com.

19. dfarc

dfarc Well-Known Member

20. oh2o

Level III Supporter

The production SRT8 interior will NOT have the silver surround. This was a last-minute change which is why you are seeing two different versions in the press photos. Also interesting is that in one of the interior photos there is a key in the ignition (the 2008 electronic style) instead of the push-button start.