AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 171 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. oh2o

Level III Supporter

A full set of gauges would have been a nice touch, especially considering that this a top of the line performance vehicle. I think Dodge really blew it on the interior. Everyone should have been raving as much about the inside as they have been about the outside, and then they would have had a "grand slam". Instead, there is a lot of negativity and disappointment on the interior. The SRT8 interior looks more like what should have been on the base model. For years and years Chrysler has released one vehicle after another with cheap interiors. Finally, when the '09 Ram was introduced, it looked like the direction was finally making a 180d turn. Instead, Chrysler blew a big opportunity in not making the interior of the Challenger, the next vehicle out of the chute, something that people would be ecstatic over. It's blatantly obvious that corners were cut and that not a lot of effort was put into the Chally interior, which is totally baffling. Why not have just spent a couple more hundred $ per vehicle and raise the price accordingly? With a $200 higher MSRP they would not have lost a single order and with a better interior they would stand to have gained a lot more orders along the way. I like the overall layout of the interior, it's just too bad that the bean counters cut so much out of the budget.

2. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there is an Export program for the Challenger?. :(

3. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

I like this interior way more than the concept interior.

It looks racy and inviting too me.

Cant wait until Chrysler really Grab life by the Horns, and offer Red, white or black leather interiors (and Boca Raton Cloth Inserts. :p )

The G8 Pontiac is available with a Red interior, where its built.

4. allhemi

allhemi Active Member

Well like it or not this car will be compared to the mustang and camaro and the weight will hirt it. Do I think it's a nice car....Yes! Do I think it will sale well...Yes But I do think the weight will hirt it in the long run. Just my .02 cents

5. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

The Chrysler President gave these stats for the Challenger SRT:

0-60 mph= 4.9 sec.

1/4= 13.3 sec.

Top Speed= 170 mph

0-100-0 mph= 16 sec.

60-0 mph= 110 ft.

Skid Pad= .88g

He also said that it outperforms most domestic and foreign performance cars such as the GT500 Shelby Mustang. Hopefully, all of the upcoming magazine road tests will come up with numbers this impressive.

6. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

I really believe every time that is mentioned the writers will also mention that real adults will fit in the back. The only way the Challenger fails is if the Camro can do the same thing at less than 3900lbs.

7. JohnRogers

Bravo, I feel you said what alot of us are thinking better than most of us did.
    So that would be +1, right?

8. GroovesnDaHeart

While in the real world it won't likely make a difference, if I remember correctly he said 0-100-0 in 16.5 seconds and .90g on the skidpad.

9. Gibons

Gibons Member

My guess is the challanger and camaro will perform very close to each other and both will be faster than the current mustang and out handle it.

10. GroovesnDaHeart

Up close and personal with the Challenger undercarriage. Had it not been press day I would've shimmied under the car. Haven't been under an "LX" in a while so I can't compare - I'd be interested to hear feedback from you guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. feld0028

feld0028 New Member

I don't have a lot of familiarity with interchangability between the old & new mopar powertrains, and from what I've read, the mopar crates (street hemi's) used to have a scary failure rate.

That being said, can the 360/358/5.9 (etc.) motor be used with the Tremec 6 sp? If so, I imagine the siamesed 340 from the mopar catalog should fit as well and potentially could be an engine option box to be checked off. A true T/A! :p Not to mention the possibility of having it bored to a 500+ hp 440c/i, and putting the 6 pak intake on it from the crate 410. Ok, so maybe I'm dreaming, but the option of a Super Stock tends to do that to me.

I used to think that the best option possibility for the new challenger would be the 'vert with a stick, but if the options for the s/s allow a little freedom and the ability to bolt on a couple necessities for the street than I would have to strongly consider it.

12. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

13. TWX

TWX DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
    Level 2 Supporter

This is why it would be nice (though I admit that I'm dreaming) if they would offer a street legal Challenger with some of these modifications. As-is, no warranty, keeping the production body's steel crash-tested unibody and other sheet metal, but lightening the 5mph bumpers, reducing the interior, etc. Of course, if they can't build enough regular Challengers to meet demand anyway then I could see why they wouldn't bother, but if building some regular Challengers with some options originally designed for this car might help pay for the development of those options too...

14. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

I have read that Dodge is having an issue with the 6.4L not being compatible with the MDS. As a result, they are currently testing a 6.5L engine. Can anyone substantiate this rumor?

15. feld0028

feld0028 New Member

I won't pretend that it's a practical option, but I don't believe it to be impossible. MN does not require emission testing for vehicles. Kit-cars, promotional vehicles, and other specialty vehicles can be registered with a lot of hassle, not to mention the money and stock production parts needed. If fiberglass cobra's and VW dune bugs can be street legal...

A case could be made to purchase such a vehicle that could run in stock car events, and could also serve as a show/promotional car in local shows, especially if purchased as a promo vehicle for a business or to advertise a variety of businesses. If you have info about licensing regulations for this car, what restricted VIN codes will be used for the s/s?
    I am interested in any other info there may be on this subject, maybe someone has prepared a similar vehicle and crossed these waters before? Another forum maybe?

The info for the 440 I mentioned was based on the crate motor that the factory is currently making out of the 340 block. (R3?)

16. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

You really like it better than the original Viper GTS? I like the Challenger a lot, but... probably not quite THAT much.

17. JohnRogers

The opinions we have on the interior are timely considering the release, with a little venting going on. For those really disappointed that is exactly what we're going to do.

18. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

That doesn't explain or excuse it. That only makes it not Press et al's fault.

I understand your desire to defend your friends' and colleagues' work product. But I think the discussion here is well within the bounds of what's reasonable.

19. hemiman876

hemiman876 Member

20. neoncaravan

neoncaravan Guest

While I agree that it would be nice to have full instrumentation, I don't think the interior is to bad in fact the gauge cluster with out the silver suround is similar to the none rallye E body instrument cluster and the 71-74 B body rallye instrument cluster in the way that the space between the round gauges is recessed. I now think I prefer it without the silver suround.