AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 174 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

I had a 1971'Cuda with the standard instrumentation. If you took that cheap black plastic dash and plastic shift handle and installed them in any 2008 car, it would be ridiculed by everyone.

The dash and guages in the 2008 Challenger are attractive looking and are night and day better than the ones in the original Challenger- even the optional dash with the fake wood grain. I think that the criticism comes from the fact that the concept car's guages (i.e., "cylinder bores") were so unique and perfect for the car. The transplanted Charger guages are just a let-down for most.

That being said, I will be buying a 2009 SRT as soon as I can find one at MSRP or lower.

2. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

No one is saying we want an exact 70’s interior, we wouldn’t accept the original drive train or suspension either. Crappy materials aside the E-Body specifically the Challenger had a very cool looking stylized interior. Then the young man who designed the concept interior did his home work. We got an interior as thrilling as the body a 100/100% homerun. Now the Challenger exterior vs. interior is more like 100/70% homerun.

3. GroovesnDaHeart

A couple more pics here - pretty self-explanatory: Silver without sunroof, Black with Sunroof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dfarc

dfarc Well-Known Member

Their are deposits taken presumably for near all, but ofcourse all will never go through. They like to "toot their horn" and say that all are sold, which is good for business, but at the same time they want you to go to your local dealer to see if you can get a current MY, if not the following MY or maybe you would like something perfectly suited for you off their well stocked lot.
    As for as the comparison of the interior refinement to that of the MY09 Ram, simple production numbers to spread the cost over more vehicles is common sense. Also remember LY while different from LX still shares similar and slightly modified compotents to fit all models. More drastic changes wiill simply have to wait for the 2011? changeover.

5. aeromaestro

aeromaestro Member

I'm really loving this car, despite what some are saying. I just wish I had a connection to get me a press kit to tide me over till I am able to get a used one at a later date.

6. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

7. erhemi

erhemi Well-Known Member

I agree, I had a 70 Cuda and the interior was all plastic. This is a muscle car not a luxury car.

8. BillP2R

BillP2R Guest

Exactly.

Those wanting the later had their chance. It was called Crossfire SRT6.

-------------------- Bill

9. aeromaestro

aeromaestro Member

I said press kit, not press release. :p

I can't wait for these cars to start hitting the dealers. I have to make an excuse to test drive one. :lol:

10. 6 Pack

6 Pack Guest

I am one who loves the old school interiors of the '70 with wood grain .... I guess it was the fact I was a kid when I first sat behind that exact dashboard ! I agree that it looks outta place today , and that the norm is (dull) grayish black with chrome/satin metal/carbon accents , I accept it in the new Chally . I don't think the interior is cheap , I actually am digging the dash passenger side , and the gauge cluster is growing on me - although it would have been great to see the '70 layout of the 4 big circles in a wrap-around shape ! . I just think it's missing old school items .....

What I don't accept is that the wrap-around console is omitted .... WHY !!! (I'm screeching) Don't tell me for cost saving purposes now ! Heck I'll build my own wrap-around console , better than the concept too .... custom shop here I come !
    Pistol Grip better look good and true to the old ... from seeing the go-around pic - it looks like a failed imitation of the original .
    I want to see ribbed seats exactly like the concept ones in my R/T !!! I love the old shool effect with them ripples - sooo appropriate !

As for the exterior - I love it more and more - they hit it right ..... just a few pet peeves though .
    First is , them tail lights are no more a one piece since the trunk now opens up with that part , why !? To fnckin' accomodate the masses , so they have better access to the trunk ! sheeze ! We now have 2 split lines and 3 piece tail light in what was once a beautiful rod of light .
    Second , the lighting in front - we have High/Lo's in the outer lamp + parking and flasher in the inner + lower bumper fogs ! I know I'll be reconfiguring mine to have the flashers in the lowers fogs (ala '70) + have Lo's only in the outers as it shoulda been with Highs in the inners - all HIDs to booth ! :)

Does anyone have a clue how the R/T will look like ??? Will we have the same hood ? Will we have Bumble Bee graphics on the flanks ? I know that the trunk wings will be body color , from what I read , remains to be seen .

Debating now if I should wait till 2010 for the 390 or order my R/T 6 Speed Hemi Orange in '09 ?

11. MaxLegroom

MaxLegroom New Member

I might have been interested in a V6 Challenger, I used to autocross a V6 Camaro, had a lot of fun with it. There is little chance I'll be able to afford one of the SRT8s for a while, at the very least. Unfortunately, those of us who like to shift our own gears and not bust the budget on gas will be looking to Chevy or Ford, as the V6 Challenger is automatic only, and a 4 speed auto at that. That engine needs the help an extra gear could provide, even if it was pretty fair in the 300 Touring I drove last year.

Other than that, frankly, it was love at first sight when I saw the concept car, and the production changes haven't changed that, really.

12. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

I went to the Philly auto show today and took a ton of pictures of the Challenger, as well as a few other things that caught my eye. Click the link below to view the photos (I hope this works!!). Sorry if the quality is crappy, I forgot my camera so I took these with my cell phone.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] 2008 Auto Show(1 album)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    You're invited to view my online photos at the Gallery. Enjoy!

- James
    View photos

EDIT: A few observations...

The Challenger looks smaller in person, and I liked it more than I thought I would. It was like a people magnet. Everyone who walked over that way reacted the same way: "WOW!" People were just standing around gaping at it, competing for angles to take photos. They only had the one you see in the pics there, and as you can tell, it was up on a platform with the doors locked, so there was no checking out the interior.

I sat in a bunch of different CLLC and non-CLLC vehicles to see what all the fuss about the crappy interiors was about, and to me, it wasn't the materials that were the biggest problem in the Chrysler cars: it was the shapes of the different components and how they didn't all seem to go together. I sat in a Camry, and while the materials were fine, they didn't blow me away compared to the Chrysler cars. What I did notice was that all the different panels and components were smooth and flowed into each other. The Chrysler interiors were clunky and squared off. For example, the windowsill on the Toyota was curved, and the CLLC sills were kind of boxy. I personally prefer the Toyota interior for that reason: it was smooth and curvy and all the parts seemed to make a coherent whole.

Also, who told car companies that it was okay to have gray and tan interior components in the same car (with wood grain too!)? My sister's Pacifica has this color scheme, as did many of the vehicles I saw today (of all different makes), and my opinion is that it is ugly and doesn't match. I'm all for two- or three-tone interiors, but what's wrong with using a dark gray/light gray/black color scheme, or light tan/dark tan/brown, or whatever. Maybe it's just me, but I hate the tan-and-gray schemes that I saw today. My two cents.

Notice I didn't take pictures of any Chrysler brand cars. Why? They were boring. I've seen them all before, and they didn't even have a 300C SRT-8 there. Dodge has gotten the Ram, Journey, and Challenger very recently. When is Chrysler's turn to get an interesting new car? Jeep hasn't gotten anything new since the Patriot either, but it's line-up is pretty full (too full, in some people's opinions), and their trucks are at least interesting. What does Chrysler have? The Town & Country, which looks just like the Dodge, the dying Pacifica, the aging 300, the sadly styled Sebring, the ancient PT Cruiser, and Chryslerfied Durango-- I mean, Aspen. The brand needs something innovative and interesting, soon.

The Dodge Nitro stood out as being underrated. It's a great looking truck and young kids were crawling all over it, getting their pictures taken with it. I've never driven one, but just looking out it and sitting in it gave me the impression that it deserves more acclaim than it receives. I also think that it is a good example of creating two very different vehicles on one platform, although I'd take the Nitro over the Liberty any day.

I wanted to see the VW Routan, but it wasn't there.

The Ram's styling changes don't seem as revolutionary in person, and it is a great looking truck. (Taking pics was difficult b/c it was on a turntable...)

That Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Unlimited I kept taking pictures of? I think I want it...

PLEASE NOTE: All preceding commentary is the opinion of a relatively ignorant but enthusiastic Chrysler fan.

13. maxwell58

maxwell58 Active Member

Hey, thanks bethlumboy, great pictures.

14. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

The production of new exciting vehicles across the brand ranges seems to be lost or may be it is a drought as we in the southeast are. The Challenger, van, and Ram hopefully will bring in some cash to move foward. There are a number of improvements under way which should help. About the interiors, the company made it clear when the LX cars were introduced that they had to cuton the interior to meet the price point. Also, I looked at a 08 Malibu(by the way it get good reviews) and the interior did not look as good as a Sebring. I do not understand the fuss. After drinks, ice cream and other stuff which kids drop who will be able to see the interior? I think it is far more improtant to have trouble free miles than slick interior.

15. fastway

fastway Guest

For the record, the 2009 Ram started their production design before the Challenger, and are finishing after the Challenger (did anyone catch Press touting 21 months to production!). Some of the decisions to use common LX architechure (not just for the body, powertrain or chassis, but the interior too!) allowed Chrysler to get this car in production a lot sooner than if it were a major re-design. How many people would have preferred Challenger production dates equal to that of Camaro, just so you could get a unique interior, but still shared everything else with LX (some of you would, but you can only make 1 decision that you hope best suits all)?? Camaro probably had the time to do an all-new interior because they also had a lot more non-interior development to do. IMHO, the interior is actually pretty nice, albeit not as unique or sporty as some would like. I agree with a previous post that some decorative improvements could help dress it up. I would suggest no less "effort" went into the Challenger interior, but less "time" - there is a difference. Also, as you'd mentioned, 400K units annually vs 40K does make a difference in how much money any company, DCX or Cerberus, is willing to invest.

16. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I was surprised to see the 3.5 under the hood instead of the 4.0.

That's OK with me, but I wonder if this is actually going to help get some performance parts for the 3.5 from the aftermarket, which would be pretty nice for a change.

17. oh2o

Level III Supporter

I don't believe that designing a "different" interior would have delayed the original time frame by that much, if any delay at all. They still had to manufacture unique molds for all of the interior parts. I think that it's unfortunate that with all of the effort, time and expense that went into the interior design of the concept, not a single styling cue was carried over for the final production version. While it's common for concept vehicles to have interiors that are so "far out" that they would obviously not make production, the Challenger concept interior was one that could have easily been developed. If you look at all of the opinions and responses that have hit the net so far in regard to the Challenger interior, you'd probably end up with a "passable" rating, like a 5 out of 10. It could have been a "9" or "10".

If Chrysler truly wants to shake their image of "cheap interiors", they're headed in the wrong direction and clearly blew a big opportunity with one of their most popular, most anticipated, and most important launches ever. There is not a single vehicle on the horizon in Chrysler's foreseeable future that will garner anywhere near the attention, exposure and frenzy that has surrounded the Challenger. Along with the Ram, this could have been a great chance for Chrysler to have totally reversed the "cheap interiors" trend that has plagued them for so long.

18. faterotong

faterotong Member

I'm actually pretty happy with the way the interior came out. Looking at the concept's interior, I thought it looked odd, especially the center stack that kinda looked canted to one side and it just gave the impression of being lopsided to me.

So yeah, the interior looks fine to me, just wish they would'a kept the silver trim rings around the guages from the pictures at the NY show.

19. st34

st34 Member

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...336/1148/AUTO01
    Add the new NHTSA ruling (Based on studies by the Insurance Industry) mandating E.S.P. on everything by 2012 and Horsepower becomes irrelevant.
    History may not repeat itself here but it sure does rhyme. Seems like Deja Vue to me. A four year production run , just like before, may not be that far of a stretch.

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

"So yeah, the interior looks fine to me, just wish they would'a kept the silver trim rings around the guages from the pictures at the NY show."

They did, on the one I looked at. They might not have shown up on the photos.

"Add the new NHTSA ruling (Based on studies by the Insurance Industry) mandating E.S.P. on everything by 2012 and Horsepower becomes irrelevant."

Huh? ESP is already on the Challenger - and the Charger - and every other SRT8 and LX car not carrying a base V6. And on every Lexus - some of which do 0-60 in under 5 seconds. And on the VW Touareg and Phaeton including, I believe, the V12 version.