AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 180 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. DGdaPilot

DGdaPilot Active Member

He's got a better history of being right than you.

2. romedog

romedog Active Member

Anybody else ever see the old Gale-influenced LX coupe photos that circulated when they launched the 300?

The ones of a car they made clear we'd have sometime down the road?

I did; don't know if GJ is right on this one, but I wouldn't bet against a similar car reappearing.

Gale is back at Chrysler in some capacity, and Cerberus didn't bring him in to make coffee.

3. woodstock

woodstock New Member

I guess Chrysler had to do something about those camera phones. I'm wondering if they used the short wheelbase for those mules.

4. mofan

mofan Active Member

+1 GJ is reliable. he knows his stuff.

?...firepower, right? im still glad Gales back and cant wait to see some of his influence back in the products.

5. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

Winning bid: US $228,143.43

6. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

I don't remember those. Maybe I need more caffeine this morning?

What I'm guessing is going on, based on what I've heard, is that they're revisiting (or recently revisited) part of the discusion that originally led to the Firepower business case. Specifically (goes this discussion), if they're going to have a sports car, it shouldn't be a $90k beast that requires a unique driveline and its own factory, it should be something priced against the Vette and built with components out of the corporate bin. This may lead to something that looks more like Firepower (and yes I know Firepower was Viper-based; bear with me here), is powered by a corporate V8 (a big Hemi or its successor), and can be built on the LY assembly line.

Again, this is rumor, and I don't know if it'll fly, and it's possible that I've put the pieces together wrong and the story is completely different. But I've heard bits of it from three sources now. And if anyone else has heard anything along these lines, I'd love to hear about it.

7. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Along with a few other right moves a Firepower type car built from the LY parts bin could help to move Chrysler upscale. That is where Chrysler needs to be and Acura or Lexus brand.

8. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

I agree that the LY platform is Chrysler's best chance at moving upmarket. They could have a whole line-up based on this platform. 300C, Firepower, New Yorker, a crossover (or two-- SWB Pacifica replacement, LWB Aspen replacement), and maybe a RWD midsizer to replace the Sebring. Some people are going to say, people aren't going to pay Cadillac prices for a Chrysler... they will if Chrysler offers a CTS competitor with all the same features but for a few thousand dollars less. Now is the time to do this (if they can work out a business case and can afford it!!)... show the public that the "New Chrysler" is truly new and competitive.

In the '80s, Chrysler took full advantage of the success of the K-cars. Maybe now is the time to do the same thing with the LXs.

9. the cp

the cp Active Member

Sounds logical to me. Use existing parts and plants to produce your 'halo' vehicle in a more cost effective manner.

10. fleshwound_NPG

Quarter million. Awesome.

11. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

My brother called me from the Toronto auto show, and he said you could get close to the Challenger due to the CROWD.
    Sweeeetttt...

12. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Due to the crowd, or lack of a crowd?

13. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

Have any of the von # changed to vin # yet? Will the vin for car number 1 end in 000001 or will it continue the LX numbers?

14. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

"Due to the crowd, or lack of a crowd?" :blink:

I was told there was a herd around the Challey all day. I don't know anything about attendance #'s of the T.O. show
    being up or down this year.

15. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

The same thing happened at the Philadelphia Auto Show. I had a map of the hall and literally ran to the Challenger to take photos before the crowd arrived.

There were a ton of "ogglers" but how many of them are future buyers is anyone's guess. We'll have to see if this enthusiasm translates to big sales for Dodge.

I, for one, will be buying an SRT in 2009. :D

16. chazcron

chazcron Member

I saw it in Cincy this weekend, not much of a crowd there, even when the hot chick started her spiel. Maybe 20 people at 1:00 on a Saturday. More room for me. Unfortunately, it was on a turntable, so good shots were not to be had, I'm particularly interested in hi-res close up photos of the headlights. I could get close, but needed the flash because it was moving, and the flash washed out the details. I was quite pleased with how black the interior looked. being on a platform, about a foot off the ground, it was hard to get a sense of its relative size. Over at the blue oval, you could look down on the Shelby, so it looked much smaller. I was quite impressed by its presence.

I'll be going for a black R/T, unless the NY auto show reveals a more desirable color. I'm figuring on ordering as early as allowed at a dealer with a large allocation. Apparently, production begins in (I am assuming late) July, 2 -3 months for delivery, putting me in around late Sept, early Oct.

Do I have this figured correctly?

17. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

I read on another site that the 2008 production is now half complete with delivery set for late April. Anybody got words of wisdom? I know oh2o says production is to start April and he is usually spot on with information.

18. DCAutoWorker

DCAutoWorker Well-Known Member

We haven't built a single customer car yet.....April 21st is still the launch date.

19. oh2o

Level III Supporter

Gotta love some of the stories that people have come up with per the Challenger launch date. Even a few dealers have been telling customers that production has already started.

Right on the money, from someone who would know. While 4/21 is the official Job#1 date, some retail models will roll off the line starting a week or two before.

Technically speaking, no... literally speaking, different answer ;)

20. oh2o

Level III Supporter

No VIN's yet for retail orders, but it shouldn't be much longer. VIN's will start and continue in the normal LX sequence.