AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 190 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

A-men! I still can't get over that feeling. After sitting here like, "Mmmmeh. Its nice but..." then double-taking just last week, I have to say I'm VERY pleased and proud of the work our Dodge boys put into the production versions...

2. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

Lol, I tried looking for the posts but I'll definitely take your word for it. :p Glad so many are on the same page.

EDIT:

Huh... You know what else helps? I sort of noticed it before but didn't pay attention to it till now (looking at the side view comparison I put up), but the front bumper extends out a little further, giving it a longer shelf below the grill and the hangover above the grill and headlamps is tapered and sharper. The "framing" around the grill is also angled a bit more. This all gives it a more aggressive, less "blank" stare. The concept always gave off a "googly eyes" vibe, like it was dropped as a baby or something. The production looks more "sure" of itself. I'm goin to go ahead and guess some or most of you all already knew this and I understand the safety precautions the new bumpers followed compared to the concept, I'm just making sure though. But again, these changes only managed to make the vehicle look even better. :D

If you can't tell, I'm sitting here, going back and forth through the pictures, comparing the small differences. ...I'm late for class now, but meh.

Haha, they changed the wheel wells which moved the, um, character line up a bit, which works with the blackened skirts to make the car look even leaner. This is fun! Who needs Red Bull in the mornin'?? (When you got hot Challenger pics)

One more thing (then I'm off to make excuses with the proff), all this work they did, making it look leaner (and oh so meaner), will make the Challenger look great topless. Previously, I figured it'd look like a boat, more prepared to cruise with the the late Ford Thunderbird rather than smoke the [email protected]# out of the Mustank.

It really is the little things, ain't it?

3. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

In discussing the new Camaro, Lutz said that it will be priced higher than the Mustang but "better equipped". This means that the Challenger's competition will be as follows:

V6 Mustang- $20,235
    V6 Camaro- $20,235+

V6 Challenger- low $20s

V8 GT- $26,825
    V8 Camaro- $26,825+

If Dodge wants to stay competitive with these cars, it should sell the Challengers for:

SE- $22,000
    R/T- $28,000
    SRT- $37,000

4. PAMoparMan

PAMoparMan MoPaR oR No CaR

That would be really nice. Since all we can compare to is the Charger, a Charger R/T equipped similarly to the way I hope to equip my Challenger R/T rings up at $36,900 MSRP.

5. giddyupgo

giddyupgo Guest

I'm beginning to have doubts if Chrysler wants to be competitive at all, not since seeing a portion of a letter that Stephen Fienberg,founder of Cerberus, recently sent to investors. Here's what he said,"We do not need to transition the car industry or even to return Chrysler to a much stronger relative position in the U.S. car market in order to be successful".
    What's up with that? Sounds like he just wants to make a few bucks and then dump Chrysler. What a terrible remark to make and how demoralizing that is to the designers and engineers etc. at Chrysler. It's like a slap in the face.

6. PAMoparMan

If "stronger relative position" = "market share", then I would tend to agree with him. Their definition of success is based on being profitable, not necessarily being huge. They're better off building fewer cars of higher quality that have higher consumer demand and yield higher profits. Once they've met that goal, they will have money to spend money on expanding their lineup.

7. giddyupgo

giddyupgo Guest

What you say is true but if you read his quote closely he says that we do NOT need to return Chrysler to a much stronger position to be successful. His statement is a little convaluted and probably open to interpretation. Time will tell I guess.

8. PAMoparMan

Open to interpretation...without a doubt. :rolleyes: Guys like him specialize in that sort of thing. :lol:

9. feld0028

feld0028 New Member

There is new literature arriving at Dodge dealers on the Challenger. It is a black half-page size booklet type. A salesperson supposedly had mailed me one, and all of the copies at the dealer were spoken for by the sales staff. Thumbing through it I didn't see any of the options we've seen or heard about (shaker hood, ram air, t-handle shifter, etc.)

And how do you like this dealer speak- The salesman told me the 1st of 2 allocations of 2009 cars was for only six cars, of which one was left and they were trying to get $25,000 over sticker. I asked, "Are you sure you don't mean 2008's?" They had previously told me the standard was $10,000 over MSRP for the 08. He seemed convinced it was 2009's. I find that rediculous if there really are going to be 50,000 cars for 2009.

When I asked about how these "2009" cars were optioned, he claimed the customers hadn't ordered any specifics on the cars, that they were on a list to buy them as they were built by the factory. I laughed. He may or may not be confusing the '09 with the 08 SRT, but either way I can forsee some serious price gouging for the early 2009's.

Apparently the high dollar, low volume production philosphy from the top carries right on down to the showfloor. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I'll pay MSRP, but I have no problem waiting til the buzz and the inflated stickers cool off.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The options are Mopar Performance add-ons which won't be in the factory brochure since you can't get them from the factory.

11. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I spoke with a salesman at a C/J/D/FORD dealer. He stated that their 2 alloted 2008 Challengers are pre sold at $20k over MSRP. You think that is nuts. Their allotted Mustang Shelby GT500K is sold at $100K over MSRP. There are a few fools I guess.

12. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

Supply and demand.

13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

That isn't demoralizing...

He is saying Chrysler doesn't have to be #1 in the world to be successful. He sees the mistakes Toyota and GM have made in vehicle quality/design because market share grabbing was more important. Sell the consumer what they want and make as much money as possible doing it. You don't have to be big volume to be rock the world.

His statement is positive... in a business finance way.

Mike

14. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Agreed - I've said it before - is it better to be #1 is sales with little to no profit, or #3 or 4 (or lower) in sales with good profit?

15. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

In this market, I think there is some play in the price, you don't necessarily need to match the competitors price for price, because these cars aren't about practicality in the first place. If the Challenger is simply attractive to people, they can get away with charging a couple extra grand. I don't personally really expect to see 28k for the V8, pricing, I would expect closer to 31k, based off charger pricing. The SRT Challenger was pretty dang close to the Charger..

I would actually be willing to bet, if Ford could have gone back, they would have released the Mustang at a slightly higher price, as it would likely have had a minimal impact to sales.. The demand for the Challenger is clear, why exactly, at this time do they "need" to price it at or near, or below the competitions?

Question for any dealers on this board -- If you sell a car a large premium (like 20k) does this all go to the dealer? Does the salesman get a cut? Does the Car Manufacturer end up retaining any of it?

16. 04RAMSRT10

I agree that $28K for the R/T is not likely.However, I think with cloth seats and features that are optional of Challenger R/T vs standard on Charger R/T they will be closer than we may have thought.
    These are valid points that a certain number of people want one and a couple of thousand dollars won't slow them, but there are more people that realy price shop. If you competition has a "base" V8 car then you need one too.

17. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

I have to agree with that, they should offer a stripped V8 version.. Perhaps that way you could have a 28k Challenger....

I guess we will see

18. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

Even if they bump production to the "50,000" units being thrown around the websites, they will still not meet demand. They will get their full target price, no discount/rebates.
    AND THAT is what making cars is about. The image on the street, talk on the web, articles in print, is creating more buzz than anything I have seen in many years. Build a car
    people DESIRE to own and drive. Bring the PASSION back of having a FINE automobile. This is what the big 3 need to do. The 300 was the first step. This is one more rung on
    the ladder.

19. 04RAMSRT10

Well said MoparJoe, I hope thenew Ram is another rung. This is the Challenger thread so I will stick to that. This is the most exciting Chrysler product ever. When the powerful muscle cars were sold they were mostly given away by dealers because the market was flooded and most people that had the money did not want that type car. I can't wait to see and drive the car. It is amazing how many people don't even know what a Challenger is. I should not be surprised, a few days ago the name Richard Petty came up and a lady in the group asked "who"? Honda, Toyota, etc make most people think of cars like the appliances in their home. I just don't understand that.

20. 04RAMSRT10

Hey guys, how are things at BAP? Are things still in line to start production on Monday? Anyone have any insight into when 2009 models can be ordered?