AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 193 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

I guess there will be no sneak a peak production, it will be starting Monday as stated here last week.

2. TurboAWD

TurboAWD Member

Apparently they are having problems with panel fitments and production keeps getting pushed back??

3. 04RAMSRT10

As stated before, get it right! I do hate to wait but that is life.

4. faterotong

faterotong Member

it seems like they've shipped customer cars already? there's a guy on lxforums who claims that he saw one with a pic to back it up in OH.

5. 04RAMSRT10

Here are some facts, my order remains in status D. It was ordered on 12/3/07 which was day one of ordering. Dodge, by e-mail says the car is in transit. They have been saying that since 3/28/08. It is not
    here. I think the only truth in my case is that there is a vin# and the car will be delivered. When, who the heck knows when, not me ,the dealer, or apparently Dodge customer service.

6. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

For Military or DOD types heading overseas. I'll be ordering my new Challenger around October hopefully the Hertiage R/T edition will be avaialble.

7. BCSharp

BCSharp New Member

Being overseas now, I've already talked with the exchange about the 09s--they can order the 09 SRT already, but don't seem to be able to get all the options yet (namely 6 spd! :huh: ) I was hoping to get an idea what that option is going to cost for when the R/T becomes available. Wild guess, but I'm assuming that depite official pricing not being out yet they've already negotiated with dodge about what price that the exchange can sell them for and are probably working on the rest. Or maybe their confused and are listing their allotment of 08s as 09s.... stranger things have happened.

8. 04RAMSRT10

Here is what appears to be real news. I saw this on another site. A car with the vin#2891xx was shipped last night by rail. It will go from Michigan to Ca. and be at the dealer 5/7/08. It is car #9 of 6400. This car was reportedly built this week. From looking at much of the information it seems that over 40 per day are being built now.

9. dfarc

dfarc Well-Known Member

We ran a couple of Challengers early in the week which I was told were the last of the fast feedbacks. 2 on Thusday. And lastly towards the end of the shift last night we did, I think, 6 which will just happen to roll off the end of final on Monday morning! So I'll say Monday is when we start making customer vehicles - officially or unofficially.
    The reason we heard for the delay was the Framer, but now we'll be able to put out 70 a day.

10. 04RAMSRT10

Thank you for the info, there is a bunch of BS floating about

11. dfarc

dfarc Well-Known Member

Built 4 Challengers at my station on afternooms yesterday with No engineers, core team or stupidvisors. I believe dayshift did 5 or 6. So it looks like they're staring to run slowly down the line!

12. Go Goody

Go Goody Member

If they are only at 70/day = 92 days or 3 months of production-sundays holidays Etc. I might get a car by the end of July?

13. dfarc

dfarc Well-Known Member

70 a day is what I heard was the maximum that they could do very soon. Remember there is a ramp up period with all launches. We are still building the 300s and the Chargers beside the Challengers. All the suppliers and all the asembly processes have to be in line to build more vehicles a day. Like I said there was probably only 10-15 yesterday, by the end of the week - ?

14. woodstock

woodstock New Member

15. JohnRogers

So it looks like the Driving Impression Embargo is over. Motor Trend has a nice online article but it states the hood scoops are fully functional. I don't see it.

[​IMG]

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...ION03/804300308

That means better than the original folks!

From the same article:
    I've read this in a few articles, does that mean the Challenger will look bulky in black? The photos of black cars look stunning, I want black.

16. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

In the current Edmunds road test article, they remarked that "both the 1970 426 Hemi and the 2008 370 c.i. Hemi are rated at 425 hp. But the 08 car is 647 lbs. heavier (at 4,189 lbs.). As 1/4 mile speeds of these cars are almost purely a function of horsepower-to-weight ratio, you have to wonder which horsepower rating is fiction."

I plugged the 2008's weight (4,189 lbs.) and flywheel horsepower (425) into a 1/4 mile ET calculator. I got 13.2 sec. The Edmunds article cited 13.3 sec. Close enough.

If you input 425 hp and 3,542 lbs. for the 1970 Hemi you get 12.4 sec. Too fast. To get the same ET as the 2008 Hemi, you have to input 350 flywheel horsepower.

This roughly shows that the 2008 Hemi is making more horsepower at the flywheel, as compared to the 1970 street Hemi.

1/4 Mile ET Calculator

17. faterotong

faterotong Member

can't wait to see the first guy break the 12s which should be pretty soon after guys get their hands on them.

18. Locomotion

Locomotion Active Member

It's not possible to get an accurate comparison between the two using the published HP numbers because of too many variables. Up through 1971, Mopar listed basically "gross" #'s and went to "net" numbers in 1972. Another factor is that the 426 Hemi, like the 340, was under-rated for insurance and sanctioning body competition. I can't confirm it, but I believe I alo read somewhere that the method of getting the "net" ratings had changed at least once over the years.

Then you have to consider weight distribution and traction. I don't have the numbers handy, but would guess that the 1970 Challenger was more nose-heavy than the new one. Then there are the tires, which were much skinnier and inferior to the current versions.

But either way, the new 6.1 Hemi does likely produce as much or more HP.
    What may be somewhat more accurate is the trap speed at the end of the quarter mile between the two Challengers, if someone has those numbers! (As long as the numbers aren't influenced by "massaging" of the cars, as they use to do to magazine test cars.)

19. JohnRogers

I watched an episode of American Muscle Car where they ran stock V8 enigines on the engine dyno. The 426 HEMI made 800HP.

20. Locomotion

Locomotion Active Member

:p
    They weren't that under-rated!
    NHRA/IHRA Super Stock maybe.