AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 201 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Seagondollar

Seagondollar Active Member

Saw my first Challenger today. An orange one on Hwy 1 just past 540 in Raleigh, NC. Anyone who suggests the proportions of this car aren't right need to get their eyeballs recalibrated. It looks impressive.

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

"There is a reason F1 cars don't ride on 22" wheels. smaller wheels weigh less, also produce less "flywheel" effect, which helps with fuel economy and braking."

"I thought larger wheels allowed for tires with less sidewall for better handling?"

There is, as with so many things, a balance to be struck. With less power you need less "tire patch" so you can get away with smaller wheels and still have the lower sidewall area. That's one reason why they oversized the tires in the PT Cruiser GT: the turbo caused easy wheelspin of the front tires. In the 1960s it was not unheard of to have larger rear tires for that acceleration-adhesion and smaller front tires.

The best cornering doesn't necessarily come from the cars with the best acceleration... lots of tradeoffs.

3. BillP2R

BillP2R Guest

You only have to look back to the Crossfire for a vehicle with larger rear tires than front tires.

---------------------- Bill

4. Locomotion

Locomotion Active Member

There was a Challenger on the lot of a Dodge dealer on Hwy. 301 just west of the Maryland/Virginia border in Virginia. I almost hit the brakes & turned around. But I had my race car in tow and had to get to a friend's house in MD.

As for tires, the 1970 Challenger T/A had larger tires in the back. I forgot what combo of 60-series tires it had, but it was G & E, G & F or F & E.

5. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

So based on the needs above, what tire wheel combo would folks recomend among what Dodge is offering for the 2009 Challenger R/T?

Check this out from Red Letter Dodge! I don't like it for me but it is of interest since we talked about earlier.
    [​IMG]
    Now, don't go ignoring my question above!

6. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Almost all of the "Large Diameter" tires are also very low profile which allows almost no give in the sidewalls creating two issues. 1) Very rough ride. 2) Lots of tire and wheel sales because there is no give in the tire when you hit a large chuckhole or curb. (Tire shops love them.) Another issue is that most of them actually have a smaller contact patch from the stiff sidewalls.

7. Go Goody

Go Goody Member

8. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

Hey change those stipes to white and add a broken stripe on the C pillar. That will be kick a.

9. DGdaPilot

DGdaPilot Active Member

Looks sick! Can't wait.

10. JohnRogers

11. 71GTX

71GTX New Member

12. hemiman876

hemiman876 Member

i don't care for that stripe option at all. looks cheap and unimaginative.

hope that's just some joe-shmo's rendering and not an actual Chrysler option!!

13. soliday

soliday New Member

14. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

It's an official Chrysler pic. It's not yet an official Chrysler-offered option.

I wouldn't order it -- me, I want a matte black hood and a bumblebee stripe, though I'll probably settle for the "standard" stripes -- but I think it looks okay.

15. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

The 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A had Goodyear white-lettered Polyglas tires- E60X15 on the front and G60X15 on the rear. A regular R/T had F70X14 Polyglas ties all around.

16. soliday

soliday New Member

I don't know if this has been stated before, but according to my source, a picture of a hard top convertible has been circulated to some of the dealers as a possible concept car for next year's auto show.

17. feld0028

feld0028 New Member

Someone post that pic! A hardtop as in a folding hardtop like the cirrus, or a removable hardtop?

18. soliday

soliday New Member

[quote name='Top 'Nana' post='967326' date='Jun 11 2008, 01:14 PM']Someone post that pic! A hardtop as in a folding hardtop like the cirrus, or a removable hardtop?[/quote]

I was told it was similar to the Sebring folding hardtop.

19. JohnRogers

For a $3755 more you get IRS, five passenger capcity and better standard equipment.

20. BillP2R

BillP2R Guest

Say one on the road today.

Struck me as all seams and gaps.

---------------------- Bill