AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 206 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. PAMoparMan

PAMoparMan MoPaR oR No CaR

I did a quick check at TireRack.com and found the calculation for tire diameter based on the tire size, no snooping required. :lol:

I had been under the impression that the different rear gears were to compensate for overall diameter differences, but that doesn't appear to be the case here, although a 1/2 inch may make a bigger difference than I know. Rather, the desired gear for maximum performance is the 3.92 and to prevent potential shredding of the rear tires during fast starts they need to install 20" wheels with Z rated rubber. By keeping the 3.73 rear for the 18" wheels, they're safe with lower rated, taller rubber and slightly slower starts. I'm guessing that the 6 speed R/T with the 3.73 rear will get a little better mileage than the 3.92 too.

This is all speculation mind you, and someone here with more experience than me is welcome to throw the BS flag. :p

2. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Without getting into gear ratios and all that...

Replacing the SE's 17 inchers with the R/T's 20 inchers would make your speedo read 2.4% too slow - ie; when the speedo says 60MPH, you are doing 61.5MPH.

Replacing the SE's 18 inchers with the R/T's 20 inchers would make your speedo read 0.2% too slow - ie; when the speedo says 60MPH, you are doing 60.1MPH.

3. PAMoparMan

Correct, and in this case, there probably isn't a speedo gear change that will compensate for such a small variance. Even choosing between the 18" and 20" R/T wheels will result in a slight mph variance. Guys with 20's need to watch out. :ph34r:

4. woodstock

woodstock Member

I'm not a big fan of the way SRT wheels look, but they are forged. Ever price a set of forged wheels? The SRT may be a bargain just for the cost of the wheels and brakes.

5. trublu69

trublu69 Active Member

Gear change in speedo???, don't they adjust that now through the computer, I heard that somewhere.

Yeah :eek: , I know what you mean, that's probably why they are growing on me.

The other thing that's in the back of my mind, my car will see track time, and I'm just wondering if I wouldn't be better off getting another set of wheels for that, and maybe drop back to 18's to pick up some more gearing????

6. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

I want to say thank you to all the people that work at BAP. I got my Challenger yesterday and it is great. I deserve a pat on the back.

7. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue Member

Just heard from my dealer that 35 Challengers slated for delivery in the Midwest were extensively damage in a recent Omaha hail storm. They were all sold units but now are headed for a Chrysler only auction and won't be delivered to some very disappointed perspective owners.

You might know... :(

8. BillP2R

BillP2R Guest

I think so too.

------------------------ Bill

9. DGdaPilot

DGdaPilot Active Member

You are correct. Hooking your car up to a Starscan will let you change the calibration of the speedo. Pretty neat.

10. PAMoparMan

Well that's cool. The last time I saw a discussion about this sort of thing there was talk of a small gear that controlled it.

11. 93XJMOPARMAN

93XJMOPARMAN Member

Yep! One of those cars was headed for the dealership that I work at, I guess they were beat to death with hail and high winds. Sucks because they said the cars simply will not be replaced and we will have to wait even longer now for our first one.
    :(

12. TurboAWD

TurboAWD Member

13. dfarc

dfarc Well-Known Member

O.K. I'll give you a pat on the back for buying our products and keeping me working! Are You happy now?

But seriously, Congratulations on receiving your new car. I haven't actually heard from any receiving theirs, except for Jay Leno, ofcourse.

14. Mr. Blue

Mr. Blue Member

My dealer was scheduled to get three and all were sold. Three someones are going to be disappointed... :(

15. BrewSwillis

BrewSwillis Active Member

I used to work at a dealership, and the son of the owner owned a paintless dent removal company. They used to travel all over the country fixing hail damage on dealership cars. I'm sure these cars will be sold. :unsure: I saw them fix a ton of hail damage on one of those older Dodge Ram Indy pace trucks, the blue one with the white stripes. You couldn't even tell when they were done.

16. Ramtuff

Ramtuff Member

Yes, they'll be fixed and sold. I used to work as a salesman at a D/J/C dealer, and we occasionally bought hail damaged cars from the auctions. They were fixed prior to rolling over the auction block, but we had to disclose to the customer that it has suffered hail damage.

17. TurboAWD

TurboAWD Member

Quote from another site on 35 said Challengers..

"My Boss told me his is on the transporter, and will be there Saturday, but the ones hit by hail were hit so badly that chrysler couldnt re sell them, there was 90+ mph winds with golf ball to tennis ball hail, and they litterally shredded the cars like swiss cheese. Tore through the interior, the seats, dashes, and the door pannels were torn off one of them, thats how severe the damage was. They are gonna get the guts stripped outa them, and crushed. Im gonna talk with the transporter driver saturday, and check out his cell phone camera pixs."

18. mjd4277

mjd4277 King of all blacks!!!lol

No surprise,as most states require hail damage to be disclosed by law.

19. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

Saw an Orange one on the road yesterday here on Va's Eastern Shore. Glad to see them getting into customer hands.

20. Ramtuff

Ramtuff Member

Wow, that's some pretty extreme hail damage.