AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 209 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Just to add... I have an 2009 R/T in D-status with a VIN.

Mike

2. feld0028

feld0028 New Member

Regarding the Super stocks- I have to agree that the white drag car has the perfect combination of modern challenger with a vintage take on the side stripe. Blackout hood is awesome too- I agree the scoop is a bit overdone, I'm guessing for some wild highrise carb setup. I am so glad chrysler went ahead with this. This does make it 1968 again as close as it will ever come (and I was born in '75!) and I'm glad the brass recognize this and took the financial risk to bring it forward.

Many of us have seen an SRT8 car on the road now, or checked one out at a dealer up close. That was the case for my son & I yesterday. We found a black one that had been sold, but being that the guys at the dealer are so sick of my questions and requests for literature, they practically threw me the keys. Nothing to say here that hasn't been said before, but a few walk-around impressions:

The bad: There are alot of plastic shrouds in the engine bay, over the radiator, etc which of course is consistant with all modern manufacturing. The plastic front wheel wells seemed very lightweight & flimsy for a car that is not concerned with weight.

Interestingly when looking at the front suspension & steering setup, the upper A-arm had surface rust forming around an exposed part of steel. I suppose it's from the extended storage in Brampton, or wherever they were held. Looks like it's never to early to start a restoration!

When sitting in the car the rear visibility really is poor, I wouldn't have guessed that from outside. The rear headrests are a big culprit. I had the obligate conversation with my son about post cars, (He's used to the freedom of his rear queater window in my '70 chevelle) and from the inside the rear passenger really has no options for fresh air. Which leads right into the other category:

The good: Rear seat room for a child are what the reviews say. Pretty decent, even with the front seats back. The middle of the back has a recess to allow for legroom too. The rear seat is very wide, for 3 kids or space between two who fight alot. I couldn't figure out how to get the driver seat to fold forward to let a passenger in back, only the pass side folded forward (or I couldn't find the drivers side button).

My favorite unexpected feature of the car, which I never read about (or noticed) is the cabin seal windows. Just like the high buck european cars, the windows drop a shade when you lift the door handle, and rise a little when the door is closed. Those little things go a long way. I suppose the 300c and Hemi Charger may have that option, I've never driven either. I hope that feature makes it down to the R/T.

The trunk is huge with no spare, and the kicker box is neatly tucked to the left. I thought I remember the old 'cudas and challey's also had no spare, or a mini spare with a air can. Historical repeat?

If dodge gives the 2009 R/T and SE the lifetime powertrain warranty with the option to upgrade to a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty, my next car will be a '09 or '10 convertible jointly titled in my and my son's name. If not, the Super stock might still be in the running... (if my buddies performance engine building shop counts as a qualified buyer). But not for street use... ;)

3. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

My favorite unexpected feature of the car, which I never read about (or noticed) is the cabin seal windows. Just like the high buck european cars, the windows drop a shade when you lift the door handle, and rise a little when the door is closed. Those little things go a long way. I suppose the 300c and Hemi Charger may have that option, I've never driven either. I hope that feature makes it down to the R/T.

The Mustangs have that "window drop" feature also. I found the window didn't always drop quick enough
    and the window would catch on a metal clip in the seal as i opened the door. LX's wouldn't need the feature if they have a full window frame.

4. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

I didn't know they were offering the 2009 SRT8 in Hemi Orange. I sure hope they will be, but I'm not sure the orange color offered is actually Hemi Orange. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can weigh in? Either I'm wrong, or the car is really a 2008 (explaining early delivery date?) or...

5. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I cannot confirm, but I had heard that the 2009 SRT-8 production start was 09/2008.

6. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

The Hemi-orange color was supposed to be retired after production ended on the 6,400 2008 Challenger SRTs. However, due to strong consumer demand, the color was extended into the 2009 model year for the SRTs and R/Ts. If you want this color, you better hurry because it will be retired by the 2nd half of the 2009 model run.

7. bigdaddywiz

bigdaddywiz New Member

i thought that was only for the SRT? i thought i read the R/T wouldnt be limited in numbers. i know it sounds silly, but i dont think i will buy the car if i cant have it in hemi orange. i plan on getting an R/T, but I'm not going to rush and pay over sticker just to have a certain color. They're giving us the car we want, but why cant they give us the little details too? Guess you cant have everything.

8. CudaAAR

CudaAAR Member

It will definitely be retired for the SRT. However, it may still be an option for the R/T. Time will tell.

9. 71GTX

71GTX New Member

Hemi Orange is available for both SRT and RT for '09.

10. faterotong

faterotong Member

Well the Canadian dealers are getting their Challenger SRT-8 500s, and mine has two of 'em. A black one and a Hemi orange one and they both look sweet as heck!!! I've got to say that the Orange is a real attention grabber but I like the black a whole lot better. :D

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Spotted an orange '08 Challenger SRT8 yesterday while in town yesterday evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

Apparently enough customers feel the same way as you about hemi orange, and Chrysler wisely decided to oblige? I am really happy myself, because it is my favorite color too.

13. oharman

oharman Active Member

Is the Hemi Orange on the Challenger the same shade/color as what's being offered on the current Daytona? It seems the Hemi Orange on the Daytona has a bit of a faded look to it (at least on the one I saw at the dealer in Winchester VA). I REALLY liked the color of orange on the concept, but I'm realistic and know that paint job was much better than a production car would see. Personally, I would like one in Sublime. Any idea when that color will appear?

On a happy note: I convinced my wife that I should order one through military sales (I'm in Korea right now) because of the better deal. She's like, "sounds good...we should put a deposit on one!" I figure it's a nice retirement gift after my 20 years in the Air Force!

14. oh2o

Level III Supporter

The hood will have an MSRP of $875.00 (p/n 82211665). Here's the latest catalog: 2009 Challenger Accessories

15. PAMoparMan

PAMoparMan MoPaR oR No CaR

oh20, Thanks! This is great information.

Interesting that the cold air intake is only for the 6.1, and there are no extra gauges or gauge pod listed though. Hopefully these things become available later (gauges and 5.7 intake).

16. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

17. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

None of the '09s should be hard to find, yet every one of the 3000 to be built for Canada has been snapped up by dealers?

"We can change production as needed" - but if all 3000 models have been accounted for - what production would be changed?

What? :huh:

18. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I think they are talking about the others after the first edition built.

They definitely need a manual behind the V6. The only reason I could think that it wouldn't would be because the rear end is not strong enough (different rear for the V6model possibly?), just like the 7.25rear behind the slant 6/318 of yesteryear.

Does anyone know the answer to that?

I know someone would come out of the woodwork for a bellhousing and parts necessary to make it happen, so the other question is, what is the manual tranny going behind the V8s?

19. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Any idea on when magazines will be doing driving impression/test articles on the 2009 R/T models? I think that reviews comparing the R/T experience to the SRT will help me decide which model to buy. For a regular working class guy affording an SRT could require some hoop jumping.

20. woodstock

woodstock New Member

It says, "Add a complete sheet metal replacement Hood with integrated scoop to your dodge Ram". Did someone just cut and paste from the Truck catalog?