AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

that one guy thinks it is weird to say Dodge Challenger? Seems like he thought it was a Plymouth.

Anyway - one trend I have started to notice here and over there is that it is not the styling so much that people are commenting on but the configuration of the car. A common comment is "Two doors, a pistol grip, and a 6.1 HEMI.... what's not to like"

Is it the styling people are liking or the configuration. Just a thought!

2. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

It's both, it is people inside knowing that to satisfy the Challenger needs to be the whole package. The pistol grip is no small detail it is iconic of Mopar Muscle.

3. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

The styling is mostly meaningless without the configuration. (Imagine a Stratus Coupe given a few retro cues and rebadged "Challenger." Some folks here might like it, but the market would yawn, and in truth it'd be a pretty cynical exercise.) OTOH, the configuration is only somewhat cool without the styling. A two-door short-wheelbase Charger with a manual trans (for instance) would be nice, but DCX is right in saying it probably wouldn't sell in huge numbers, because despite the name and the rather desperate ad campaign the Charger isn't really that kind of car, styling-wise. This thing is a zillion times more compelling and has a shot at being a hit, and the difference is all in the styling.

To me, the pistol grip says "Dear message-board-haunting Mopar fanatics: We hear you. We get it. Love, Chrysler."

4. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Definite niche car------------much like its ancestor of 1970.
    Which may not be a bad thing :D

And; being that the new Chally is an LX...............offering a RHD version would likely be a snap for Australia, etc.

5. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

Oh, I totally agree... I am just wondering which people are liking more. I have read above somone say that it is not exactlly what they were expecting/wanted but with that configuration they woudl definatley get it.

I firmly believe the style and configuration have to go hand in hand. I am just curious as to whether one is compensating for the other a bit. Sort of like (sorry ladies) when a woman has a great body you can sort of overlook a not so great face and vice versa.

6. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

I like the idea of LEDs except for one thing: replacement cost. Just like getting away from standardized headlights drove replacement costs up (I'm not talking about just the bulb, the entire assembly including lens & reflector), can you imagine how much it's going to cost to replace an LED cluster when it fails (and they will fail)?

Instead of running out to Wal-Mart and picking up an 1057/1157 for a buck or two, you'll be coughing up $125 because the LED cluster is designed specifically for your model, not the hundreds of millions of cars that use 1057/1157 bulbs. Sure, they may not fail as often as a typical bulb, but when they do you'll pay!

And it would drive me crazy to have two LEDs out on a 20 LED cluster. It would be annoying for me to know my car ain't in perfect condition yet I couldn't justify changing the whole cluster out to fix it. Unless it wouldn't pass state safety inspection if any of the LEDs were out, then I'd be stuck fixing it even though 90% of the cluster was still functioning. Who then will decide what constitutes a light failure? Is it when 50% or more of the LEDs in the clulster are out, or is it when only 25% are out? Ooops, I think I hear new laws being written........

7. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

Someone is finally using their heads over there. A new design called Challenger would BOMB. This car will SELL if its priced like the Mustangs. The AVERAGE guy has to be able to afford one with a HEMI, say 35K MAX. Thank You to whoever is responsible for not screwing up this car!!!!

8. 58Hawk

58Hawk Member

Yes I like that ideal but what about RFI from neon?

9. plum500

plum500 Guest

That's because they are both based directly off an actual Challenger... ;) Hehe..
    Is that Burnt Orange?

I think I'd slim up the grill a bit (not the dimensions, the actual cross lines), and black it out. But that's it.

REALLY like the back window. Really. That may be an odd thing, but in the face of a thousand other cars that have the same rear window look out there...plus it reminds me of a 3rd gen Charger.

I second the rear taillamp comment. Always liked that look. Though not any wacky lights underneath -- standard socket/configuration that I can go get lamps at my local Canadian Tire store, and no funky. Signal, brake and reverse in the correct spots.

Like those wheels too -- single, solid spoke.

Pistol grip. Holy crap. Who would think?

Interested to see what pricing/options would be on something like this.

I was actually starting to come around to the thinking of something more new (though, not "new" like "the other one"). But this takes a no shortcut, non-compromising straight approach to the source under that badge -- well, with the exception of actually being a (possible, proposed) newly manufactured car, on a new platform.

I have to admit, I went wow. For a number of reasons, not just the actual car.

Sorry for the mess Bob :)

Think I'm still in a state of shock. This most definitely says "woah, Dodge Challenger" to me, average joe.

If that is a popular feeling that can be quenched with a car built with today's methods and materials and with it being 200X and all :) then let it be.

Think they would in this case. Sorry for the rambling book..

10. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

As in the Lincoln Mark VIII?

Sweet... :D

In my forum-trolling, reaction is mostly positive - with "too retro" and "front end looks weak" comments being the only complaints.

I'd love to see a 4.0L V6 model as the base...

And there's that "SIXPACK" trademark still floating around... ;)

11. IMPERIAL4EVER

IMPERIAL4EVER Member

LEDs have a 10 year life span on an average usage of 5 hours a day. Unless you use your vehicle for all night moonshine running, I think it is safe to say you will not have to worry about burned out LEDs HID is another story and the lifespan is alot shorter for Xenon bulbs.

Any rate, those LEDs are covered under the bumper to bumper warranty through Lexus and Infiniti just like door handles and wipers.

12. CrossbarGrille

If you were so inclined, buy some 35-cent LEDs and fix it yourself.

13. epaul

epaul New Member

OK, I really,really,really like this car.

Bob: How much of this car/styling could make it to production? Will there be massive changes?

14. hemidakota

hemidakota Guest

ALl we need now is a 6.4ltr Hemi with 475-HP to compete against the next SVT GT500 Mustang.

wtxiceman likes this.
  15. IMPERIAL4EVER

IMPERIAL4EVER Member

huh?

16. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

All of the LEDs in my sister's old '93 Plymouth Colt (3rd brake light, in spoiler) are still working to this day. :)

17. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

I was wondering this myself - is this not possible with the way they are built in cars - I am not familiar with LEDs in cars.

18. CrossbarGrille

If you have one or two LEDs out, go to Oznium.com, buy some for 35 cents apiece and rewire them yourself. There has to be a way to do it.

19. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

The only thing that I (notice I am not Bob) think may have to change woudl be the bumpers. If they want 5* they are going to needs some bumpers I would think.
    A 5mph crash will mess up alot of parts on this car, or so it looks

20. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

Question - If this is the Challenger, then is there a possible Barracuda that was built next to this? If so, I wonder when we get a peek.