AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

As a Plymouth? Or a Chrysler?

I will bet heavily that any Chrysler-branded derivative of the 116" wheelbase two-door LX variant will be another one of these hunchback pseudo-Art-Deco country club cars, not a plum crazy retro-'70s muscle beast.

We really need to keep thinking of Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep as a single lineup of cars, not two or three lineups, because that's where DCX is going.

2. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

You can always do limited edition Plymouths sold through Chrysler dealers. Limited to how many they get orders for! A Chrysler Cuda wouldn't be right. I doubt either will happen but if there is a CUDA version it should be a Plymouth, not a Chrysler.

3. WheatKing

WheatKing Member

:D

not my cup of tea per say.. but.. dang fine effort..

being as its orange.. parked in the woods beside a white vehicle.. it's wrong i know.. but it's screaming for a confederate flag on the roof.. LOL

a lot of the lines from the 99 charger concept are in there.. and the rear end itself is very reminicent of the 99 concept.

5000~11,000 a year.. HAHAHAHAHA

these marketing people sure have a twisted sense of sales :blink:

4. georgejetson

Supporter

It won't happen, because it makes absolutely no business sense. There's no reason for them to spend the money to do it -- anyone wanting retro Mopar muscle will have an option with Challenger, so the company will declare that base covered and focus its very limited time and dollars elsewhere. (And don't mistake, it'd be a huge marketing challenge/expense to re-establish the Plymouth brand to make it worthwhile to sell a badge-engineered Challenger through Chrysler dealers.)

Assuming they build this thing, they will have finally done the retro thing right, guys. Let's not get too greedy.

5. oicu812

oicu812 New Member

Sadly, probably about the same amount as the 99 Charger concept made it to production.

6. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

I wasnt thinking retro - I was thinking a modern "cuda". Notice I put it in quotes this time. Basically a car that is similar to the Challenger in configuration but up to date in styling. They have the retro, no need for another.

BTW - anyone know what the inside of the Challenger looks like?

7. georgejetson

Supporter

No, they're looking at the GTO's sales volumes and at the price of gas and hedging their bets, and that's a good thing for us. If the business case for this car assumes they can make money on 8k units a year (or whatever), then high sales mean big profit for the company (which will encourage them to build derivatives and variations that we'll find interesting), and low sales within the range they've predicted won't necessarily lead them to kill the program. Either way, it's a good thing.

8. jestre

jestre Guest

:D That car is Sex on the outside... if it has an interior like the Goat.. the Goat is getting traded in..

6.1 liter hemi.. nice....
    hopefully it comes with that 392 (6.4) in SRT-8 trim and an amazing interior and i'll be sold..
    --Edit--
    or even better.. a Sublime Green 6.4 hemi SRT-8 CONVERTIBLE.. I Would INstantly be sold...
    CHRYSLER!! GIVE US A COVERTIBLE OPTION!!!!

9. IMPERIAL4EVER

IMPERIAL4EVER Member

DCX is just saying that just in case the car flops. Just like Ford did with the T-bird. It saves face.

10. RiceEaterRT

RiceEaterRT Active Member

Awesome by the time I am rady for a new car, this sure would be nice, Heck I would keep my Stratus coupe for a Winter car.

I am Drooling

11. David J.

David J. Guest

If it's in my range, I'll buy one. AMAZING.

12. GTS012

GTS012 New Member

I love the hardware...and I'm pretty excited about the idea of a new challenger.

But...

The "real" pictures look kinda odd in the front grille area. The front bumper looks awfully straight. Doesn't seem to come to a point as suggested in the rendering. Does the grille seem to lack depth to anyone else?

Something seems odd...

But don't get me wrong... I will seriously look into this in it's final form, should it reach production. The rest of the car looks great, all inclusive, yet there's something buggin me about that front grille area...

13. ptschett

ptschett Well-Known Member

Sweet. Totally kicks the GTO's butt styling wise. Then again I'm a sucker for cars with that coke bottle look. I do think the front sides and/or nose need something but overall I like it as much as I like the new 'stang, which is to say, a lot. Even if it has "just" a 5.7 I'd be happy.

14. Hersbird

Hersbird Active Member

If they sell this for the same price points as the Charger it will sell more then they say. I also think a Chrysler version could be called a Cuda w/o that much pain. Accept it, Plymouth is just a rock now, remembered this time of year. The cool think about a Cuda version would be the excuse to gill the fenders and clean up that Hotwheel looking grill. I'd also say that it's tough to judge from the angles but the "stance" doesn't look right for some reason. Maybe it's the 20" wheels making the whole car look too small, or maybe they just need some offset to the wheels. Overall it's awesome, I don't think you can go too retro right now. VW will be missing the mark if they don't make their new van look like and old bus and have you seen the new Bronco and Toyota FJ40 or whatever it's called? I can see the Honda lovers complaining about too retro, they have never designed a cool looking car in the history of the company! Ford picked their one good looking design in the last 40 years to remake too. The problem with DC is that they have a huge bank of sweet designs to go back to! Maybe in 5 years the re-model of the Charger could look like a 71 Roadrunner, make the 300 look more like a 55 version. Chevy also has a big bank of good looking cars to draw from. They should do not only a Camaro but a Chevelle also.

Oh PS, call me greedy but that thing needs a shaker hood something fierce! I guess the front mounted throttle body makes that tough huh?

15. plum500

plum500 Guest

I agree. Don't know whether it's the angle of the photo or what, or whether they've pinched that front a bit as compared to the sketch. But I know exactly what you mean.

Perhaps if they sunk the grill a bit too. Dunno. Really just didn't want to jump in with any criticism, be too picky, especially as I'm probably viewed as a negative nancy sometimes :) -- I think it's great.

But I know what you mean.

16. HD

HD Active Member

outstanding. love itwith no changes. i will buy one. "You inna heap o' trouble, boy"

17. MoparMan

MoparMan Viper powered

Funny, but while reading through this thread, I have been thinking the same thing. I definitely like the concept, but refuse to get too excited over it after the crap they pulled with the '99 concept. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they take this concept on the Mopar show circuit for three or four years allowing Chrysler reps with the car to tell the the crowd that it is representative of the upcoming production version then come out with a completely different car (probably four door, 'cause two door cars don't sell, you know) and god-awful styling.

If, indeed, the production car does look like this, then we will be presented with alot of good choices in the next couple of years: a gen IV Viper with near 700 HP, a new Firepower! priced near the C6 'vette and a new Dodge Challenger with a 6.1L (or maybe a 6.4L) and a 6 speed.

18. NASCARman

NASCARman Member

You're in a heapa trouble boy....

Just gotta love the classics....:)

19. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter