AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. redhed

Level III Supporter

ah yes! finally! a CG car that i might actually consider buying. the challenger concept is waaay retro kewl...! now, if they can get that baby to market with the 392...i'll sell my left knut just to get one... :D

2. kzooman83

kzooman83 Active Member

I don't think so this time around. The reason the '99's styling didn't make it to production was that it was built on the swoopy LH platform, which was killed off in favor of the new, boxier LX platform. The sensuous curves of the '99 concept would not have transitioned well to the square-rigged architecture of the LX platform, and thus a new charger was designed to fit that platform. The Challenger concept exists on essentially the same platform that the production version will be built on. The only reason I can see for them to modify the styling would be in response to widespread criticism, which, judging by the reaction on this forum and others, should not be an issue.

Personally, I think the Challenger looks bad [someone is trying to get by the filter. That's VERY naughty.], although I was not expecting them to go this retro with the design, and if I had any say, I would enlarge the grille a bit and make the roofline a bit sleeker. Very glad to see a lower, wider look to the car, even if it is just an illusion brought on by the sleeker styling. That's the one thing wrong with the Charger IMHO. I like the Charger too and I'm surprised no one has made the connection between the '06 and the '66 in their styling (slab-sided with a fastback roof and rear fender haunches) and mission, but the thing could stand to be a little lower and a lot wider. Anyway, if Dodge builds this, either it or an SRT-8 Charger will grace my garage when I'm done building my Duster. And when I get that raise the boss has been promising.......

3. plum500

plum500 Guest

Anything look a bit off or is it just me (and a couple others)?

[​IMG]

4. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I thought more of the Venom concept than the Charger concept...

5. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

I think it looks more like a tidied-up vintage Challenger (or '69 Camaro) than either of those. It's clearly using the LX structure, but they made the most of it.

6. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Am I off base to conclude that this car is based on the current LX? If so and if a production version is to be based on the LX replacement, couldn't we expect some tweaking of the body lines?

My only criticism of the styling lies in the high belt line and the somewhat stubby looks both front and rear. I know the federally mandated bumpers are the biggest hurdle to make a car look sleek, but a few more horizontal shadow lines or bright trim might minimize the massive bumpers.

I'm anxious to see larger photos and some Photoshop revisions.

FWIW, my criticism is only constructive and if it went into production exactly as shown, I would buy one without question.

7. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

If this is true, the new Mustang just became invisible to me. Pinch me, am I dreaming??

8. georgejetson

Supporter

Everything I've seen and heard (aside from on Allpar) says that Challenger is LX-based. This raises an interesting point -- I assume that the production version would have the LX's rear suspension, and not a live axle like the Mustang. Anyone think that's going to be a major problem in the marketplace?

9. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Do you mean no RAM grill?

10. KP Kruiser

KP Kruiser New Member

VERY nice.

Like someone said, maybe with this, people can stop complaining about the Charger having four doors.

Goodbye Mustang, hello Challenger SRT-8.

11. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

it's amazing how many sales Chrysler has just made right here on this forum.

let's hope they don't screw this up!

Finally, something that took my attention completely away from the TC!

I wonder if we'll get a vert? and that fabulous 6.4 HEMI? that would truly destroy the Cobra.

i notice that people have been mentioning the belief that this is based off the LX platform. Isn't the Challenger supposed to be on the LY platform? I wonder if it IS an LY underneath, or if they might release the Challenger earlier than expected, on the LX platform, BEFORE the redesign of the other LXs.

I also hope the interior is up to snuff vs. the Stang's

12. plum500

plum500 Guest

Oh for Pete's sake and the last time, a Challenger does not simply satisfy the desire for a 2-door Charger. They are two very different things. Well, now, even more so than before :)

Edit: And everytime I say that, I have to follow it with: ..but *this* does look great to me! -- don't get me wrong. Just they are two different things.

13. georgejetson

Supporter

...which matches up nicely scheduling-wise with the quacking we heard awhile back. I don't think this is a "concept". Plus or minus a design detail or two, I think we're looking at the 2008 Dodge Challenger, available mid-'07 at your friendly neighborhood Dodge dealer.

Here's another discussion question: given the low volume predictions that have been tossed around, is it possible that Challenger will be V8-only? In other words, R/T and SRT only?

14. dakota2112

dakota2112 Active Member

Something about the front clip does look unappealing. I think I know what you mean. It just doesn't look... right. That's the only way I can describe it.

The drawing looks much better, maybe because it's from a higher angle? I do like the pointy sharknose look illustrated in the drawing.

15. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

ditto, I actually think the grill is too small! (but then, I was one of the guys who LOVED those wacky German pictures with the huge super8 style grill! I normally don't go for truck grills on cars, but...) Maybe the angle was a problem, and maybe that's one area they could tweak before production

16. Gibons

Gibons Member

I think its the bumper that isn't fitting with the grille right but I could be wrong I like the car a lot more than I liked the 99 charger concept. The only part of the 99 I liked was the back end.

17. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Yep, its a Challenger all right.

the fronts kinda what I was expecting for the Charger.

18. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

it almost looks like the front end of an amphibious car. there is no "chin"

19. soliday

soliday New Member

It is awsome.

Hey did you notice the side mirrors come off the door on stalks? This is a sure indication that it was designed with a convertable top in mind.

20. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

while you are correct, it is no differnet than when I was saying that comparing a Charger to a Mustang silly. For those people, the 2 doors is enough. If a 2door Charger woudl ahve worked to fight the Mustang, then so does this..even more so.
    I believe that the people who feel "vindicated" with this car may have jsut wanted a 2dr more than they wanted a Charger. In the end I thinkt he name had less to do with it than the styling and number of doors did.

Either way - I do understand what you are saying. And I appreciate your desire.. I just dont think it will happen with the Charger