AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 75 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

could it be because the charger isn't the big hit that chrysler thought it would be.

2. outZider

outZider Active Member

i doubt it, considering how quickly the dealers near here manage to sell them, the sales charts on the Charger, and the accolades it has been getting, despite being the same platform as the 300 and the Magnum.

3. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

from what I have been reading not true and where i live they are sitting one dealer I go by has 9 of the sitting and I go by every day and they are the same cars and they are discounting them the 300 far outsells the charger where I live. and I live in the phoenix,az area.

4. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

I amsure that is it - they developed a whole car to near production level in less than 6 months.

Or....

They were already developing it and he said what he said because it was Nonya! Maybe the way you keep a secret is by not telling people about it. I do not think the Charger has anything to do with it. Just a thought.

5. CanadianJeepYJ

CanadianJeepYJ The NEW Chrysler's Armchair CEO

Let time tell us how well the Charger is doing.
    It is just getting to the dealers now. It is selling 7k to 9k a month. That is a hit by any means. How many sales do you expect the Charger to have 100k a year, 150k a year.

It will be fine...just because it may not look like what you want it is a hit, Period.

every day I see more and more of them on the streets.

6. MoparMan

MoparMan Viper powered

DOC - you are absolutely correct. The development of the Challenger has nothing to do with the market success of the Charger. In fact, the concept Challenger project predates the 2004 SEMA show.

7. JamesG

JamesG New Member

Chrysler studies challenges to building Challenger, says gas prices not concern
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1024/LATESTNEWS

Why do they even have to consider it... I know this is probably just a marketing ploy to whet our appetites even more for the Challenger... but it is frustrating to see considering they have the chassis and drivetrain to build this car already.

Heck, Chevy announced they are building the Camaro... lets get with the program!

8. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Sort of off topic Autoweek is also running a story about DCX still thinking about Firepower!

9. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

the Charger has been "just getting to dealers" for many months now! If that is really true, why couldn't they do a better job with supply? (I guess the hotness of the 300C?) But, the other thing we must remember, which a lot of people forget, is that the Charger is NOT just a muscle car...it's also the replacement for the sporty but bread-and-butter Intrepid. I wonder how Charger + Magnum will do versus peak Intrepid sales? It IS nice that the BASE Charger has the same horsepower as the top of the line Intrepid.

Chevy IS building the Camaro for sure? wow, that's quicker than I thought.

Well, Firepower makes sense, although many of us probably thought the Crossfire would have sold better than it did. I still wonder what would have happened had it been a purely Chrysler vehicle. But, with Firepower, we have a chance to put the 6.1 in a car that weighs less than two tons and we will finally have something that will show off the true potential of the HEMI. Plus, it'll give Conner Ave. something to replace the Prowler with.

10. CanadianJeepYJ

CanadianJeepYJ The NEW Chrysler's Armchair CEO

Maybe in other areas the charger has been at the dealers for a while, but where I am from (NM) there are like 2 or 3 chargers at the dealers...maybe they get a lot but sell them right away or they are not getting the Chargers to the dealers???? I don't know.

Another thing is about the actual models. The 2 or 3 at the dealers are always R/T's. If they are selling only the Hemi models that is a lot more money per car sold. However some people may want to buy the SE models which are extremely hard to come by.

11. CrossbarGrille

For those of you that are wondering what she would look like in Plum Crazy Purple, I did a quick Photochop from an actualy paint swatch. Next I'll try SubLime.

12. badger_340

badger_340 Active Member

I decided to see a comparison of the Challenger & Camaro on size.
    The one shown earlier had the wheels the same size, when the only matching size was the Challenger rear & Camaro front wheels.
    The only noticable difference the greenhouse (roof).

13. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

no they had in the back corner to see if they where right about the charger and if the charger sold like wildfire you would not be hearing anything more about the challanger, it is called covering your butt which at least they did, and the success of the new mustang and the new camero also made them do it.

14. Wolven

Wolven Guest

Some of you guys need to go read the section titled "WHY we have the Challenger" in the Challenger section off of Allpars home page... http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

Mike Castiglione (lead designer of the Challenger) makes it perfectly clear that without the outrage over the Charger, we wouldn't be seeing THIS car.

15. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Obviously he is being fasicious or doesn't know what he is talking about , the Mustang proved that . The only thing that could hurt this car is the way gas prices are going again .

16. Wolven

Wolven Guest

Even without MDS, gas prices wouldn't hurt this car... The people buying it aren't going to be the ones looking for the best mileage miser they can find.

17. MoparMan

MoparMan Viper powered

All I can tell you is that a 2 door concept based on the LX was already in the works about a year and a half ago. I have no idea as to whether or not the public reaction to the Barger led them to turn that concept into a retro Challenger or if that decisions was made before hand. BTW: I share in the outrage over the Barger - most long timers on here will tell you that I hate that four door pig nosed brick as much as anyone on here.

18. BillP2R

BillP2R Guest

However, the Charger weighs (about 400 to 500 pounds?) more than the Intrepid.

--------------------- Bill

19. 71GTX

71GTX New Member

First off, Challenger in Plum Crazy Purple, absolutely drool worthy! (BTW, with the drug haze of the 60's, wonder if PCP was an intentional or unintentional play on acronyms?)

2nd of all, I loved my Intrepids. Had a 95 and a 99, what a comfortable, good looking car they were.

20. Wolven

Wolven Guest

You're right. According to Mike Castiglione there were at least 3 different "Challenger" concepts being worked on. The public outrage over the "Barger" (never heard that one before...) is what helped make the decision to go with his retro concept. He refered to the other two as "more sportscar than musclecar". Would be interesting to see what they "might" have put the Challenger name on... On second thought, it might be better never knowing... :)