AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 80 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Hiy1

Hiy1 Active Member

It was a car was made to get people into the show room. Once they were there they would buy a chevy half ton pickup or something else.

The truck is sweet! I drove a 6-speed crossfire and a 6-speed 6.0L SSR back to back and hands down the SSR was alot more fun to drive. The looks and questions you got were great.

2. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

1) The caps lock key is the one on the far left.

2) $46k is just silly for a car like this. You'll be able to get an equivalent-performing Camaro for somewhere around $32k before too long. And there's no question that the Camaro will have a manual trans.

3. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

I think the 46k is another canadian guess.

4. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

You mean you were off trying to stop the growing trend of collectivism in favour of the power of the individual? Well, that sounds like an intimidating challenge nowadays. You have your work cut out for you! :)

5. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

I agree that is way too much , they can make a low end Charger for like $22000 , it shouldn't cost much more than that for a base challenger and charge say $3000 extra for the big honking motor and the ram air hood . I'd certainly pay 26-28K for it . It is is coolest design since the muscle car days . Funny how the only 2 cars I have really wanted in the last 20 years have been the new Mustang (they did a nice job with it) and the new the new Challenger . Cars from the 60's and 70"s just had more style to them . What do you get nowadays , generic blobs like the Ford 500 . Even some of Chryslers you either love them or hate them . They certainly screwed up the Durango and Dakota looks wise , though it looks like they may be on the way back with the new chrysler Aspen .

6. georgejetson

Supporter

I don't need the lesson (my undergrad degree was in political philosophy) but I'll offer this for the edification of the board:

Briefly, in the novel Atlas Shrugged, John Galt organized a "strike" so that the importance of the so-called "men of the mind" would be understood by those who, perhaps unknowingly, depended on them. Basically, he convinces all the smart people to go hang out in Colorado until the world collapses. I suspect that Bob is telling us that he is "on strike" until he is missed enough that his value to the board is appreciated.

(And to be clear, the "gold" I meant was that appreciation. I'll be less subtle next time.)

7. faterotong

faterotong Member

if the poster is from Canada, for 46K it ain't bad for an SRT-8 version, the one he was referring to anyways. SRT-8's up here at 52K Cdn, the 300C is 42K, the base 300 is 27K I believe and the one with the 3.5 is around 35K...So therefore, I find 46K reasonable for the SRT-8 model. That's pretty cheap actually compared to the Charger, Magnum, and 300C SRT-8s...

8. Wolven

Wolven Guest

I like John Galts "strike" idea. I've been thinking for a while now that we should have every citizen of the U.S. take an I.Q. test. And then make a law that you have to be in the upper 50% to be able to vote. People could take the test only once per year. So if you didn't score in the upper 50%, you'd have to wait until the next year before you could try again.

Under such a system, I suspect there are a lot of current politicians that wouldn't survive the next round of elections. Come to think of it, there would probably be a fair number of politicians that wouldn't even qualify to vote...

9. nitroram33

nitroram33 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] :) :D

10. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

As long as the base Challenger with manual trans starts around the same price as the Charger base DCX can charge what ever it wants for the SRT8. A couple of years after introduction I bet after market parts will allow someone to build these cars any way you want. Probably have a more civilized ride than an SRT8 to boot!

11. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

It is not much but a few new words on decision time for Challenger.

Full Read Here: http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/...2.22cdd5a8.html

12. BillP2R

BillP2R Guest

I can understand monitoring the reactions of potential customers, but the mass media seems to be more and more disconnected from the reality of the market (even though they may believe that they define the market).

-------------------------- Bill

13. EVERRET

EVERRET New Member

If so? It seems to me they are just looking for any excuse Not to build this car. Asking the public about a buisness case for a manual trans on the Challenger and comments like this from Mr. Locricchio get me worried. As for the Charger they made every excuse in the book to build that thing, even with all the negative press and feedback. what gives?

14. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

By the time we saw the charger, the decision had already been made.

15. CrossbarGrille

Wouldn't using the existing Viper transmission work? I wouldn't think that an entirely new tranny would be needed.

16. georgejetson

Supporter

As I understand it, the issue isn't the transmission so much as it is finding the few million bucks it will take to modify the LX platform to take the transmission.

17. Gibons

Gibons Member

I was under the impression that the challenger was going onto a new platform the LY wasn't it? the next gen of the LX I can't see it being to hard to just impliment a manual into the new platforms design during the process.

18. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

Wouldn't that issue be worked with the LY platform?

19. georgejetson

Supporter

Challenger's plaftorm, whatever it's called, is just a short-wheelbase LX. The transmission tunnel issue still exists. I don't know why some people here think that an all-new platform will be rolled out with Challenger first when there are still LX variants in the pipe, but that's not what's happening.

20. Hiy1

Hiy1 Active Member

I have seen a LX with a viper trans and there wasn't tunnel issues........