AF: Dodge Challenger | Page 99 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by hemi_magnum, Nov 21, 2005.

1. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

so far, its not as bad as chevy's SS badge-work.

2. oh2o

Level III Supporter

???? An SRT Challenger probably deserves the badge moreso than anything other than the Viper; we have "passenger car" versions, "compact car" versions, a "station wagon", a "SUV" and until recently, a truck. So what should the SRT badge go on then, to be "prestigious"?

3. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

I think you are confused.

There's ONE SUV with an SRT badge (from the factory). It has a 425 hp Hemi, brake discs the size of manhole covers, and a crazy-stiff suspension, and is as brutal-fast as you'd expect.

If there's any part of the Chrysler Group that's delivering on promises, it's SRT. They haven't built a bad one yet.

4. oh2o

Level III Supporter

The Jeep SRT-8 is one of the most amazing vehicles I have ever had the pleasure to take for a spirited spin. The WOT launch has to be felt to be believed, it's one mean beast. On the highway you are well past 100 before you know it, smooth all the way. Corners at 90+, no problem. What a "rush" it is! Thank you, SRT, for bringing it to life!

I couldn't agree more!

5. jwhite

Supporter

Brutal-fast isn't even the word. They took a heavy beast and made it the fastest SRT save for the Viper ..... It does 0-60 under 5 seconds. That's faster than the 300/Magnum/Charger SRT8

6. neon_obsessed

neon_obsessed Active Member

A suv is still a suv, even with a rocket engine.

7. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I'll buy one, but the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is, as far as
    I know, the fastest production SUV money can buy right now. Motor Trend
    managed to get an incredible 4.5 sec. 0-60 sprint from it...I have trouble
    believing that number myself still...and it costs $5K less than a base model
    BMW X5 with a 3 liter engine.

I know what you mean about the danger of diluting a performance label, but
    I think SRT has remained pure so far. Now, if you want to discuss the R/T badge,
    that 's another story!! The Caliber R/T is a sorry excuse for a performance vehicle.

I'm not nuts about the "Challenger SRT-8" either, preferring some heritage-style
    badge or something, but as long as the R/T is available with the 6.1 HEMI, I'm okay.
    and hopefully the SRT-8 comes with a new 426 HEMI or something big like that.

8. Jeep_J4000

Jeep_J4000 Guest

Nobody's disputing that. The point is, 'even though' it's an SUV, it still deserves the SRT badge because it represents the power and performance SRT stands for.

What about the Grand Cherokee SRT-8 prevents it from being a legitimate SRT vehicle?

9. georgejetson

Supporter

True. But the contention was that the SRT badge was being watered down to the point where it was meaningless. We have demonstrated that that contention has no merit, SUV or not.

If you don't like rocket-fast SUVs, don't buy one. I don't and I won't, but I'm pleased that the SRT SUV is worthy of the badge.

10. CrossbarGrille

Yeah, it's not like Chrysler is putting the SRT badge on 303HP, FWD cars.

11. torobud

torobud Member

Nope only 300Hp Caliber SRT-4... :lol: :lol:

12. CrossbarGrille

Touche. I had forgotten about that. Well, at least Dodge isn't putting an SRT badge on a 205HP, FWD car. :D

13. georgejetson

Supporter

They put one on a 230 hp FWD car not so long ago. OTOH, that car made a lot of supposedly "better" hardware look pretty stupid.

14. 88Diplomat

88Diplomat Member

My biggest problem with the SRT badge, not the SRT team, is that it is the same for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep. You don't hear of an SVT Lincoln or a Grand Prix SS, even if the corporate performance group designs all the vehicles.

I wish they would have had separate names for the "SRT" versions of the three brands' vehicles. I thought that with the move away from the pentastar, Chrysler Corporation was trying to differentiate the brands. Old enthusiasts always talk about Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and "Mopar". The cars were often so similar that no-one even considered the differences, despite corporate attempts like naming the same engine "Magnum" or "Super Commando", and different names for the high-impact colors.

That's really my biggest gripe. Since they had to go get rid of Plymouth, I'd like to see the remaining brands be brands in their own right. Having a 300C SRT8, a Charger SRT8 and a Grand Cherokee SRT8 doesn't accomplish this.

15. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

Any breaking news on the Chally at the NAIAS or any more "UNOFFICIAL" guesses.

16. neon_obsessed

neon_obsessed Active Member

I like your comment 88Diplomat.

I don't know much or care much about the Caliber and its SRT qualities, But I will stand by the Neon SRT-4 as being SRT badge worthy, being fwd. SRT-4 is used as a name and not just a supplement to the name of the car. so when SRT-4 is mentioned, I have to wonder which vehicle is being mentioned. But I guess its like most words in the english language and that's its contextual.

4.5seconds for a SUV? That is very impressive. I wonder what the top speed is on the slalom?

17. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

I ought to dig up the Motor Trend review and see if they listed any other performance data. I'm sure they must have. The
    quarter mile time probably wouldn't be as good as the Charger or 300C SRT-8, but the acceleration to 60 is amazing, and I
    know they did more than just beef up the engine, so I hope the handling is good too.

Regarding 88Diplomat's comment, I think the original plan was to have "SRT" for Dodge and "VXT" (Vehicle eXitement Team) for
    Chrysler. (you'd think they could come up with something better than VXT) I remember we had discussed a while back the idea
    of having some better name for the Chrysler "SRT" vehicles... like adding "Special" to the end of the name a la the 300M Special.
    I guess that has its problems, too.

Dodge already has/had a performance label, "R/T," which spells performance if you are talking about a Charger R/T but means
    almost nothing if you are talking about a Caliber R/T. Neon R/Ts used to be pretty sporty.

18. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member

S ta RT ech

see, it still works :p

See what SHOULD have been done is, they shoudl have made a BAJA or RUBICON Grand Charokee
    And then turned the Chrysler (insert name) SUV into the SRT vehicle. Problem is the Aspen wouldnt work - they need something else

19. trublu69

trublu69 Active Member

Hi All,

Since this topic has strayed off track, I'll throw in my "opinion", by definition the "SRT" is a group not a limited edition, so far they are being true to their word on what they intended to do, which was introduce the general buying public to limited run vehicles from varying backgrounds, that have been sufficiently modified to basically run the doors off their respective competition. Personally I prefer the large displacement versions over the small ones, but they are impressive none the less, by the way the Jeep is "kick @#$", for an SUV.

Now back to topic, now that we are 1 year from retail sales of the new Challenger, why has DCX not come forward with the final plan, so that some of us can get our orders in, we've been told by our dealer that we can't even order it until they have it in the DCX system. It seems strange that they are only 7 to 8 months from supposedly going into production and they still don't know which engine or even what colors will be offered. I think they have something up their sleeve that they don't want any information released, maybe they will make some big announcement next week at Detroit.

If anyone has an inside track, now would be a good time to pressure for info, they may be distracted with all of the activities coming up.

Take it easy everyone.

20. Jeep_J4000

Jeep_J4000 Guest

I agree, but that wasn't the issue raised... :p

Yep, I would much rather have a Grand Cherokee Rubicon than an SRT-8. There should be a Rubicon version for every Jeep, for that matter...