AF: Dodge Dart leaving........... | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Dart leaving...........

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Jul 11, 2016.

1. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

While we are discussing the brilliance or lack of....using the name TURBO on the 2016. It has come to my attention that there is no 2017 Dart in the pipeline. So all those threads and post of mine discussing the need for a serious refresh NEVERMIND......:(:(:(:(
    [​IMG]

2. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

So what will replace it? As in, what will be the small economical car in the line-up?

And if there is no longer going to be one, because of lack of sales, what happens to FCA when we have the next gas crunch?

Bearhawke, jken02, Ian and 1 other person like this.
  3. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Does this mean there are no changes from the 2016 to 2017 model year or that the car is discontinued for MY17?

4. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Belvidere Assembly needs to be refurbished. Compass/Patriot are leaving and so is the Dart.

The Compass will be built in Toluca.

Dart will either come from somewhere else or not return at all. China (Ottimo) is looking more and more possible if the vehicle can be easily certified for NAFTA. If it requires too much investment.....bye- bye Dart.

5. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

In this day and age.....It is an absolute shame on how FCA screwed this car up. (insert 200 also)
    It could be.....and I feel..... still is...... a great car.

6. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Two of the largest vehicle segments in NAFTA, with several million units sold each year, and FCA cannot deliver a competitive offering. Very sad.

7. CDJSalesPro

My info...is that there is no 2017..... I hope I am wrong.... :(

guyverfanatic likes this.
  8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

The hearing things about the Dart make me look back at the Sergio interview on 60 Minutes... watch the 4:44 mark!

Erik Latranyi and Ryan like this.
  9. SRTBrandon

SRTBrandon Well-Known Member

The 200 is ceasing production at the end of the year as well

guyverfanatic likes this.
  10. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

We all knew it was coming.

Mike

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Dart's refresh was done on paper over a year and half ago. Dart could have been and would have been an excellent car if the marketing would have been great.

[​IMG]

I blame not only the lack of marketing on the car, but the powertrain lineup. The 1.4L Turbo was cut back due to the cost to put in the Dart. But originally by now the Tigershark family was supposed to debut in the 2016 model year. The car lacks a really performance engine (the 2.4L is not a true performance engine) nor does it even come close to the competition with mpg unless its the ultra rare turbo Aero model. There is many things they can do right now to make the Dart competitive.

1.) Powertrain. A worthy powertrain that allows great mpg to challenge rivals in multiple trim models not just the Aero model. With Dodge being the performance arm of FCA US, an SRT was a much needed thing that was teased for so long and wasn't executed. Focus RS is now the benchmark in the segment.

2.) Refreshing. The Dodge "Poison" Dart was a huge hint at where the 2016 refresh was supposed to go. Dart never had a true issue with exterior styling. However, its lack to update the interior with the current infotainment with the rest of the current lineup as well as simple things like steering wheels and materials holds it back in class. Its not last by any means but its no where near the level of the new Chevrolet Cruze.

3.) Marketing. Lack of marketing the car has been a huge issue. When the car debuted, it ran a handful of silly commercials about it and after the first model year the marketing was almost not there. Travis Pastrana had a rally car for one season which wasn't a huge success. However, in NHRA the Dart up until this past year had a strong showing every race. They could have easily marketed the NHRA link to the production model. Even in new Dodge brand commercials, the Dart, Journey and Grand Caravan marketing has been not even been close to where it should be. All focus has been on the Challenger, Charger and Durango.

The car is easily light years above the Dodge Caliber it replaces. The car should have had a mainstream Chrysler 100 model come to market as like what was planned. There was a lot of ways that this car could have been easily the best car in its class. Instead it was used and abused to gain the additional 10% purchase from the government that Fiat needed to take control of the Chrysler Group.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of possibilities could be done to the Dart cheaply to make it competitive in the segment compared to completely reengineering a new car.

12. Robert Johnson

One could smell the lack of caring from FCA especially when they were too freaking lazy to update the web page when they
    rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic......I mean moved the models around.

superduckie5000, Lorena and Ian like this.
  13. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Jackpot.

14. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Well-Known Member

Oh, I think the cars were competitive enough -- I'd much rather have a Dart than a Corolla, or a 200 than a Camry. It's just that nobody really knew that these cars existed. And FCA realized that the cost for them to buy that mindshare would be like throwing good money after bad.

I too would have liked to see a Dart refresh, where they could have easily improved it in a few areas and really made it an outstanding car. But I think so much of this circumstance is beyond FCA's control -- they have a finite amount of money to invest, and they are putting it toward the growth segments. Now I am really curious to see whether they will indeed import a small car to take Dart's place...could be interesting.

guyverfanatic, Ian, ScramFan and 4 others like this.
  15. CDJSalesPro

I don't know how accurate that is..... As of right now there is going to be a 2017 200........no such luck for the Dart

16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Time to get ready for Cherokee. Need to move hear ASAP to start building money making JLs!

17. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

FCA was already hurting for lower cost <$20k) models. With the Darr gone, will there be any cars on lots for less than $20k. I am no expert, but it sure seems to me that foregoing that market would be a mistake. At least from the perspective of creating future buyers of more expensive FCA products?

18. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Doesn't matter when the smaller Jeeps get the same fuel economy

19. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

I'd love to see retention data on how many Caliber, Partriot/Compass - even Neon buyers came back for bigger vehicles, versus, the guy that bought a Hellcat, fell in love with the car/community and went back to buy a Ram 3500 for himself and Grand Cherokee for his wife.

20. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Yet they are making money and paying down debt.

Mike