AF: Dodge Dart leaving........... | Page 24 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Dart leaving...........

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If you clear the adaptive memory, you would be surprised at how good it gets.

XRT2SRT and MPE426HEMI like this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Dave is right, it's like night and day.

Mike

XRT2SRT likes this.
  3. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

But at the end of the day it's not like every other car out there doesn't also have an adaptive transmission. Excuses excuses. Looking forward to better days. :cool:

Robert Johnson likes this.
  4. Mike V.

It's not an excuse... it's just how the situation works out to be. How many other manufacturers have cars with adaptive nine speed transmissions that are being used for rental fleet service regularly?

The other manufacturers typically have six speed transmissions on the rental which require less logic and is more adaptable to changing driving styles when it comes to a rental fleet.

Mike

XRT2SRT, MoparDanno, tlc and 2 others like this.
  5. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes

In just a couple of months, I've seen four different Darts take off like a rocket from stop lights. I can't remember ever being wowed by a Honda's or Toyota's start. Seems that the loyalists of the latter want MPG but the many others care more for UMPH. I don't want a Mopar version of a Toyota. I still say too much Euro-style hurt the Dart, but I rue the day I dismissed it. Like many, I often do not appreciate things until they're no longer available.

Bajanbuoy and james.mooney. like this.
  6. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

My son manages a rental fleet. Yes, they had problems with the 9-speeds early on. FCA fixed it and the 200s were reliable. The Darts were loved from day one. Some of the colors and upholstery combos were the source of jokes, but the customers were happy. I don't dare mention on these boards which vehicles are the problem children, because it would bring the trolls out like flies on sxxx. The problem cars are a constant source of ridicule and headaches on maintenance line. They aren't FCA products, BTW. (OK, I did mention the Ford Transit on another thread, but rent one and find out for yourselves.:p)

7. Ian

Ian Car Freak

That's what makes sense the most if the next Dart will be coming from China, built along the Viaggio.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

What's the point of this tirade? To dump on a happy car owner?

I call BS on this one. Sorry. Too many people here have said the opposite and have acted accordingly on the sales floor.

Are you saying customer loyalty isn't important? Because Toyota would disagree.

What's the point of this rampage? To say the rest of us are idiots? Or is there some message you're trying to convey in the most insulting possible fashion?

XRT2SRT, MoparDanno, djsamuel and 3 others like this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Because the Compass is getting a replacement, the Patriot has the Renegade, and both have been running for te years.

XRT2SRT, MPE426HEMI and Ian like this.
  10. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

If you got the rental car after me?
    I would not be suprised that the adaptive function was hosed.
    THey should by default clear its memory after I am done with a rental, as my driving habits in a rental car are horrible.

MoparDanno and Robert Johnson like this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Yes, they should do it for everyone. I'd argue also they should include that as part of the “two driver memory.” But I’ve said that since the 1990s.

XRT2SRT and Ryan like this.
  12. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I'd call an excuse.

I guarantee you if Toyota came out with a 9-speed they wouldn't require the same explanation. But that doesn't exist so need to go down that particular rabbit hole.

The 8-speeds aren't requiring this explanation and plenty of 300's and Charger's are running around out there. I really don't believe one additional gear should all of the sudden be a game changer, especially since the 9th gear rarely comes into play anyways.

valiant67 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  13. Mike V.

So where is Toyota's 8, 9, or 10 speed front wheel drive transmission? Oh that's right... Toyota does not have a cutting edge, high tech automatic transmission for front wheel drive and have been using the same basic transmission (four or six speed auto or CVT) in the Corolla and Camry for decades.

Toyota still sells a Corolla with a 4 speed automatic with little criticism! Chrysler had been skewered for more than a decade for offering four speed automatic or a CVT but Toyota gets a free pass as usual!

Further, the 8 speed Chrysler uses is a completely different design and uses different programming because of the difference in design. Other than manufacturers, they are not directly comparable in the manner you are trying to compare them.

Don't act like a Toyota hasn't had their own transmission gremlins over the years. People quickly forget that Toyota'a own chief of sales admitted in 2007 that "they knew from the beginning they had a transmission issue with the Camry" to Auto News which caused the Camry to lose all Consumer Reports recommendations until the issue was resolved.

Just another example of FCA being damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Mike

#473 Mike V., Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  14. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

If you want the rental service personnel to reset the computer after your done with a rental, leave the gas cap off. The check engine light comes on and it will require reseting. Some cars go into limp home mode when the light comes on, so if you do that and have to drive at freeway speeds, good luck.

Back to the thread, I live in a major metropolitan area, so there are Fiat dealers relatively close here. If I can't get a Dart Turbo, I can get the base 500X. If I want the 2.4 with auto I can get that on the X as well. Yes, I know crossovers aren't cars, but the X is pretty close. I don't consider the Renegade as a possibility because reasonably optioned ones are very rare around here. Some Jeep models are like watermelons, they're best purchased right off back of the truck.

15. Robert Johnson

Decades? Well the stripper Corolla does use a 4sp auto but the the nicer models use a newish CVT (which I hate BTW). Camry uses the U760E/F (a newer version of the U660 from 2007) introduced in 2010 so it is indeed modern and reliable. As has been seen, more gears do not mean a superior product.

serpens likes this.
  16. Robert Johnson

MT just published a short test of the 2016 Dart line.....not a bad review overall.

"That Turbo base price marks a $3,100 discount relative to the outgoing Aero model—formerly the only variant to get the 1.4T engine. That looks like a super deal, but you should know that here the standard-equipment list has been severely pruned, and there’s no option for adding any of this equipment back: six-speaker audio, 8.4-inch touchscreen, park-view rear camera, and a tire-pressure monitoring display. Also note that the Aero’s optional six-speed, dual-dry-clutch transmission has been axed, leaving the six-speed manual as its sole offering. Hey, when the Dodge gang goes for a sports model, they go all in. The big-dog GT now opens at $21,990, down $1,100 from before, but the standard wheel size drops from 18 inches to 17 inches (a $600 Blacktop package restores the 18-inchers), and the perforated-leather, heated front seats move off the standard equipment list and into a premium group that is $600 dearer than the former Tech group that included all its other goodies. So GT Sport pricing is pretty much a push."

"The little turbo engine feels a little flat until 3,000 rpm, after which you feel a rush of power that persists to redline. Shifting at redline keeps the engine operating in its power zone. The shifter ball knob feels rather too large, and the linkage is just slightly notchy, but acceleration felt quicker than all seven of our Big Test compacts. Indeed our last 1.4 turbo manual Dart hit 60 mph in 5.7 (TYPO) seconds, with the quarter falling in 16.2 seconds at 85.1 mph—comfortably ahead of the 1.4-liter turbos in the Chevy Cruze and VW Jetta that led the pack in our test, giving some teeth to Dodge’s sportiness-champ market positioning. Of course the market for row-your-own compacts is probably fairly small. The car demonstrated admirably neutral dynamic handling behavior with pleasingly linear steering and brake actuation, good body-motion control, and minimal tire squeal on the handling circuit at Fiat Chrysler’s Chelsea proving grounds."

"
    But underneath this Dart lies Alfa Giulietta architecture that dates to 2010 and is beginning to feel a tad elderly. Engine vibrations can be felt through the steering wheel, and tar strips and other road imperfections reverberate through the body structure a bit more than they do in the freshly minted compacts. So for now, it would seem that the biggest purchase motivation for this lame-duck Dart are its still fresh styling, overtly sporting looks, performance and dynamics, and killer value on the purchase price—though beware resale value at the other end of the ownership experience."

2016.5 Dodge Dart First Drive: Sharpened - Motor Trend

17. Mike V.

The Toyota U series transmission development and desgn dates back to the mid 1990's. The CVT's are from the mid 2000's.

So yes, decades.

Mike

#477 Mike V., Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  18. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Wow, when a vehicle is almost done, then they give it a decent review. :rolleyes: Nothing wrong with that car, I'd take it any day.

19. tomit

tomit Well-Known Member

Toyota's 1st 5 speed automatic was so bad that even Consumer's report hated it.

20. red-jk

red-jk Well-Known Member

From Motor Trend - 2016.5 DODGE DART FIRST DRIVE
    "The marching orders for executing this midyear revamp of the Dart lineup appear to have roughly paraphrased Colin Chapman’s famous engineering directive: “Simplify and add lightness.” The marketing team has simplified the model roster and lightened the pricing, all with an eye to sharpening the brand’s sporting image. It’s a classic strategy often employed in the “autumn” of a model’s lifespan. The Dart was introduced in mid-2012 as a 2013 model, so its replacement could reasonably be anticipated in the next year or so. But that future was thrown into doubt in January when boss-man Sergio Marchionne announced that FCA would not be engineering and building replacements for the Dart or Chrysler 200. (He openly invited joint ventures and manufacturing partners to collaborate on a replacement, and indeed Magna might be in talks to do just that.)"