AF: Dodge Dart leaving........... | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Dart leaving...........

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

How would one go about clearing the adaptive memory?

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Looks like the Jeep Renegade is getting popular in the rental fleets now.

MoparDanno likes this.
  3. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

To be clear, for those that are unsure...

I rent a lot.
    I beat the holy hell out every rental car I drive.
    Not so much anymore, but I used to really beat on them.

So, while renting a car may be a good way to get a feel for a car, you have to consider how much it was abused.

XRT2SRT and JKU12 like this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

You used to be able to do it either by pulling a certain fuse or pulling the battery cable for 10-20 minutes or some such. I don't know the current method. Probably the same. There may be an easier way. if you have factory tools it's easy through the OBD II port!

5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I am surprised that rent companies doesn't ask car manufacturers, such as FCA, to have adaptive learning for transmissions blocked and transmission charged with same "standard driver" parameters.
    It is not good for the image of a rent company have a car model that acts differently each other (as customer I could even think that maintenance is not well done in that company).

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Unless they have changed from the protocols initiated in the mid-90s, adaptive transmission learning is not stored in volatile memory, so a battery disconnect or fuse removal does not do a reset. Only a scan tool does that.
    This could have changed, but I doubt it. The problem is these 9 speed transmissions seem to be very slow learners.

7. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

LMAO! Welcome to the dark side :D

djsamuel likes this.
  8. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

I hear the same things from the fleet managers I deal with at my job. And I talk to quite a few from rental fleets, to HD type fleets.

9. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Yup, been selling many parts for them to fleets.

What FCA vehicles I can say are in fleets ( Enterprise, Avis etc )

T&C/Pacifica
    Dart
    Charger
    Challenger
    Journey
    Durango
    Grand Caravan
    Ram 1500
    Renegade
    Compass
    Patriot
    Cherokee
    Wrangler
    Grand Cherokee
    500L
    500X

So basically, everything.

Mike V. likes this.
  10. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Active Member

it's for that reason, i don't rent cars, if i want to know how a car feels, i'll do a test drive at a dealer or auto show

11. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

But a rental allows you to "live" with the vehicle and really see if you like it under various situations. It is a much more comprehensive test.

If you go into it knowing about adaptive technology, then you can evaluate it honestly.

12. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Check your owners manual for fuses. You want to pull the (PCM) power control module fuse for 30 seconds. That always worked for me. There's other songs and dances you can do also, to accomplish this, but it seems to vary over vehicles.

13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Most of those are few and far between from my experience. 200, any minivan, Renegade and Journey are the ones I see quite regularly. Challenger seems fairly popular in the premium fleets.
    Unfortunately the fleets where I am renting seem to be filling up with Nissans, so the choice is often between a 200, Journey or a Nissan product.

14. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Yes, what Valiant67 said, TCM adaptives are a separate item. I use a aftermarket tool to reset these. I can reset them on the fly, so to speak.

15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

We Have Cookies! ;)

james.mooney. and Jeepnut like this.
  16. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

No, we have t-shirts that say this.

[​IMG]

17. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Had my first drive in a rental Dart SXT.
    Was surprised how well it drove and forgot how much fun a compact car can be around town.
    I had a blast ringing the engine out and it hooked up in corners way better than any other compact I've driven recently such as the Elantra or Cruze.
    Smooth ride, I fit fine up front being 6'2" and even the stock stereo sounded good. I didn't find any glaring faults.
    I found the 6-speed auto/2.0L? to be plenty peppy of the line.
    I was expecting it to drive like a piece of crap, but it was actually quite good.
    Seems to me the bones are fine.

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Yup. The 2.0 is actually quite a good engine off the line.

The 2.0 and 1.4 are opposites! The 2.0 will blast you from the stop signs up to 40 mph with NO problem. But they really do run out of power if you’re going up that highway ramp. The 1.4, on the other hand, sags at every light unless you really fiddle the launches, but at around 1,600 rpm it starts to wake up, around 2,400 it just zooms and rockets away with you.

I have the 8.4 stereo - heaven.

wtxiceman, tlc, PCRMike and 1 other person like this.
  19. Robert Johnson

The last Dart I drove was a 2.0/auto and it had plenty of power around town, but like Dave said, when merging on the freeway you need some extra room. That brings the worst out of the 2.0; the honking, droning and buzzing it makes at the higher RPMs it needs to move smartly. The World/Tigershark engines always made good power and good MPG numbers and were and are pretty reliable, they just dont sound/feel very nice.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

To be fair, the Mazda3, while a fun car, ... its 2.0 doesn’t sound like a Ferrari, either. Nor does the Lancer’s engine. The 1.4 has a pretty nice sound to it. I miss the old 2.2 turbo. (People would complain it shakes at idle, though. it did! So did the Neon 2.0!)