AF: Dodge Dart leaving........... | Page 28 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Dart leaving...........

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Jul 11, 2016.

1. tomit

tomit Well-Known Member

As do a few of almost all brands.

XRT2SRT likes this.
  2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

For example Honda ordered a stop-sale and recall on around 42,129 2016 Honda Civic with 2.0 engine for engine failures. They "just" have wrongly installed piston pin retaining ring or more simply they didn't installed it at all. Maybe someone was trying to simplify engine design at production site :)

3. somber

somber 370,000 miles

Oh man, that yellow NSRT4 - want! I was ready with the cash to buy a Dart SRT or Dart GLH, but sadly, no dice. Hopefully, the Dodge version of Giulia is going to help me forget (I just hope they offer it with a stick).

eastcoaster likes this.
  4. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Well-Known Member

Once the Dart, along with the Compass and Patriot ends production at Belvidere, goodbye Hyundai transmissions. I wonder if they want to continue that relationship?

james.mooney. likes this.
  5. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

The DDCT was a great transmission IMO. I thought that it's lack of delay in manual shift mode was phenomenal.

6. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

It's great until the clutches start slipping in traffic... it does like to creep.

The DDCT in the Dart and 500L has been a nightmare. Had more been sold, it would have been worse than the 9 speed issues. Most of the early DDCT Darts were recalled before they were able to be sold to replace the slave cylinder that was faulty. After that, the transmission has been plagued with TCM failures.

Mike

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  7. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Test-Drive vs ownership experience - great to know Mike.

8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yep great until the clutches go up in smoke in traffic and the car can barely move itself out of traffic.

9. Lorena

Lorena Active Member

Slave cylinder? TCM failures...
    Glad I dropped the manual Dart. Ya think a gal driving a stick buying up a stick Dart in cash would be happy.

Yes.

Then it became a nightmare of failures. Still have a lockbox for the hydraulic components that FCA refused to replace in case the class action needs some ammo. Inspected, and expected to fail.

Still in the FCA family, but barely ;)

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

MUST have a manual transmission somewhere in the lineup, or it's no go for me, for any Mopar.

somber and dyslexic teddybear like this.
  11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I would more worried about the lost of power assist in 2013-2014 Darts, more than 120k, models with 2.0 and 2.4 engine.

12. Mike V.

No problem... see link for slave cylinder info.

A deeper look at the Dart DDCT fix

Mike

13. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

The decision to have the creep accentuauted on the ddct's usa implementation was a bad one. The ddct+1.4 turbo combination is otherwise very splendid (in europe, also now ddct+1.6 multijet diesel on Fiats and Suzuki-s), and notably reliable relative to VW's dsg and Ford's dual-clutches.

They might then have managed to secure a place for the usa-made 1.4 turbo in the usa brands' models, thereby bettering both their CAFE performance and suffering less from the 2.0 and 2.4 multiair's being not-quite-competitive. The 1.4+ddct was their initial strategy for good fuel efficiency-yet-fun, but then fuel prices crashed and ddct-s were totally written-off in the usa marketplace (vw's too).

I guess they did not reckon enough with median American tastes and preferences (larger capacity engines, hatred for turbolag, great liking of the purportedly higher reliability of tc and cvt transmissions).

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

One recall (around 27.5k Darts) for TCM module in 2013-1025 Dodge Dart was not directly for problems to TCM itself, but by the mounting bracket causing too much pressure on the module's board.
    As is usual in most modern car repair the repair doesn't stop replacing the part, but other operations should be done in order to put properly to work all parts controlled by electronic systems (for example in DCT gearboxes clutches "kissing points" and similar parameters).

Don't know if it is the same of the Dart recall, but in Europe there were a recall on 2012 or 2013 Alfa Romeo models, for hydraulic actuator leaking from o-ring (were replaced o-ring and actuator).
    [​IMG]

The other actuator, that was not interested by the recall, is on the opposite side of the gearbox, rear the clutches.
    [​IMG]

15. Mike V.

This is a much bigger problem than you are making it out to be. The car goes into the limp mode or shifts intsef into neutral and is stuck. To make matters worse, a dealer has to get authorization to order a replacement TCM, they can only order one at a time, and the cars stack up. The issues is bad solder connections in the TCM. The original recall went out and people got repairs only to have the same issue happen again. That when they finally started replacing the TCM'a in general.

Cars shifting themselves into neutral is a serious safety issue. My local dealer has had three to five cars parked for dead TCM's... they have to replace one at a time so the cars sit for weeks at a time with extremely disgruntled owners waiting for repairs that can take months to complete.

It's a huge problem that has been swept under the rug. Had the Dart sold more volume it would be an incredibly large black eye for FCA. They got lucky on this one.

Mike

Ian, Bearhawke, jerseyjoe and 4 others like this.
  16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It is not me, it from recall description by media. And has to do with the braked damaging the TCM.
    And for repairs for me the repair date should be "yesterday".

The part about o-ring is for the models that were repaired also at dealers before went into customers hands, Two separated recalls.

17. Mike V.

Agreed... they have dropped the balls hardcore on these repairs.

A coworker's son was directly affected by this so I know a great deal about it as I ended up directly involved.

Mike

18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Ok, enough of the bad things about the Dart... lets remember some of the good things...

19. Mike V.

Neither one of those are "production" Dart's. :)

Both are dedicated racecars with non-production drivetrains :)

I like the RWD one the best ;)

Mike

20. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I said remember the GOOD things... I figured with my sarcasticness you would catch on!

Mike V. likes this.