AF: Dodge Dart leaving........... | Page 29 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Dart leaving...........

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

LOL

Mike

2. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

One of the things that sort of turned me off the Dart was the confusing number of engine configurations that different models and trim levels came with. And from what I've read all of them had their pros and cons. The last small Chrysler engine I owned was the Neon 2.0L - which was a great engine. For the Dart it seemed like they were throwing all options at it to see which one would stick.

With the 200 the choice was clear: Do you want the i4 or the V6? And at least the V6 is the Pentastar 3.6L that I've gotten to know in my Journey for the last 5 years. It's a great engine.

3. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Old Chrysler Corp. was able to do any engine in any car, 2 manual transmissions and 2 automatics that I can remember. Getting all the parts and engineering from this side of the ocean must have simplified things.

somber likes this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Those were also simpler times. You could basically certify an engine and transmission combo then install it in whatever car you wanted. Now you have to certify that same engine and transmission in each car combo.
    It's not all about manufacturing. A lot of it is about regulation.

Ian, PCRMike, jerseyjoe and 3 others like this.
  5. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

Also, from what I understand, more of the assembly was done by humans, not robots, so there was more flexibility.

freshforged and somber like this.
  6. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

A question why do you have to certify the same engine and trans combo in each car combo, sounds like a lot of over government regulation.

PCRMike likes this.
  7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Maybe because the same engine and transmission in a different car can produce different levels of emissions, and might not meet the standards in all cases.
    I've seen the damage that smog does, and seen my wife suffer from it, and I appreciate how clean the air has gotten over the last 40+ years.

v.b., Ian, JKU12 and 4 others like this.
  8. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Trying to coordinate a business with an Ocean inbetween makes it more difficult.

Prabhjot likes this.
  9. LXbuilder

LXbuilder Well-Known Member

“If you’re a serious carmaker and you can’t make it in this segment, you’re doomed.”
    Sergio Marchionne, September 2012

Yep! :(

10. Hank600ES

Hank600ES Well-Known Member

“If you’re a serious carmaker and you make cars in this segment, you’re doomed.”
    Sergio Marchionne, January 2016