AF: Dodge Durango SRT Mules are on the road... | Page 12 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Durango SRT Mules are on the road...

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

Funny, Awd Demon is America's pastime right now. Give an awd Durango, and Rwd is wanted. Just intrests me how varying the needs of people are.

I am thinking an Awd SRT Durango would replace my need for 2500 Rams, but you know, I will still need that 3500 Ram someday, so I just need more money. Lol

Bajanbuoy likes this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Ah, the often heard lament from a man/woman seeking more toys...:):D:p

wtxiceman and Devildodge like this.
  3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

He is talking about Durango.

He traded a Challenger SRT392 for a Grand Cherokee SRT so he probably has a good idea of what either drive train is capable of.

Mike

4. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm one of the few on here with seat time behind the SRT-10...500hp truck, RWD, No AWD needed.

I know what AWD brings to the table, I use to drag raced a AWD Talon, I understand those who would like to see an AWD Demon.
    I don't need AWD in my 5,000 lb truck. Simple RWD will be fine, just need a good LSD.
    Like I said, just my wish.

5. Mike V.

The Ram 1500 SRT-10 had more going on out back than just a limited slip differential. It was a combination of parts/design that did work well but it was still a truck and the backend was light and a lack of traction was an issue.

Mike

6. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Watch my instagram @thejeep_guy

Here's a little to tickle your fancy 0-60 in 4.? 1/4 mile in 12.?

7. BigDaddySRT

BigDaddySRT Well-Known Member

The Challenger SRT392 I had was equipped with the Tremec, and Launch Control was useless. It was impossible for the car to get Grip, without rolling out soft and extreme throttle modulation control. Don't get me wrong, it is an absolute superb street car, but in the wrong hands it could bite hard.

The GC SRT392 of course is AWD, the 8 speed ZF, and Launch Control is amazing! Set the LC System, hold the brake hard, peg the throttle... put your head back against the head rest and release the brake. Absolutely no question asked... the car grips and shoots away with no faults. It is so easy to drive hard and fast!!! To think it's a Luxury SUV!!!

Scottina06 and Chase300 like this.
  8. Chase300

Thank You BidDaddySRT for the perspective between the two.
    I would not have thought the SRT392 Chally would be that hard to launch.

My question would be however, in the D, which has quite a bit more weight, even more than the JGC and more on the rear end, would it have the same issue?

9. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

With the tazer set to Force RWD in my Durango R/T, I have enough torque to do burn-outs with the rears. So adding an even shorter gear (remember the GC SRT has a 3.70 gear, and the Durango should have the same), and that much more torque/horsepower across the board. It's possible to light up all 4 in a GC SRT right now, so one can surmise the Durango would still have issues.

Regarding weight... the weight difference between the 2 isn't really that substantial. Whether one likes C&D or not, they do publish weights (which is one of the few metrics that would have minimal tampering I would assume). A current Durango R/T was weighed at 5369, and a Grand Cherokee SRT at 5291. The last V8 Grand Cherokee they tested was at 5324. I think the weight difference may not be as substantial as you might think.

10. Chase300

Not sure how you can do burnouts in your R/T with 3.09 rear end.
    My Hemi Citadel can't do that...unless I brake torque it. I think it would need a 3.45 rear to do that.
    C&D list the D R/T at 5200 lbs and with a 3.70 rear, that might be a bit too much gear for RWD only.
    I'd like to see a 3.45 rear gear with the 6.4L in RWD, should be plenty of go and a nice uptick in FE over the 3.70 AWD layout.

11. Mike V.

The 8 speed Charger and Challenger SRT392's do not have this issue.

The six speed cars take a lot of finesse, trust me, I know ;)

Mike

MoparDanno likes this.
  12. mentalicca

Well, I do have a 93 octane custom tune in it. It is pretty much stock except for that and a Volant airbox. To do it I need to turn ESP off too, but I definitely had slippage. And yes, it tends to happen more when I am launching for a good 0-60 time than anything. Our Durangos are nannied pretty well from the factory, as many D owners will tell you. Still hoping diablosport unlocks the TCM this decade in case I don't get myself an SRT D I can still make mine almost as fast.

As far as the 3.70 gear, I tend to agree it's too short for either the AWD or RWD versions. I would like to see the performance differences between a 3.09, 3.23, 3.45, and 3.70 (fuel economy, 0-60, and 1/4 mile), as I know I would take EPA rated highway mpg at 20+ over an extra 1-2 tenths 0-60. But since there likely isn't an option, I think having an almost 500hp 3 row performance SUV would still attach a perma-grin to my face.

wtxiceman likes this.
  13. Chase300

Not a factory option, but there is a 3.45 rear option and now a 3.27 that could be swapped in.

14. mentalicca

I'm not sure the 3.45 is wise, it's set up behind the 3.6, and I doubt they fit, or are strong enough for the 6.4, let alone even the 5.7. I will defer to the experts on that. Unless you are referring to a different 3.45 than me.

15. trublu69

trublu69 Active Member

Absolutely, Dial with flappy paddles is better than the T, I've had both, and prefer the dial and paddles.

16. mentalicca

I heard rumors that we will be seeing pictures starting first thing tomorrow (12:01am, so 13 hours from now). Of course, they may have meant 37 hours, but we shall see.

17. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Active Member

I love this thing (I've got a Jeep SRT) but I'm curious about the pricing. With the Grand Cherokees pushing $80K......I'm not sure you can demand that money for a Durango.

I *want* them to sell every one they make. I really hope I'm wrong.

18. mentalicca

Originally it was supposed to be a very competitive starting price that did not have the Jeep SRT premium. But that was months ago when we were discussing it.

Illegal Machine likes this.
  19. mentalicca

My best guess on starting MSRP is $55k. They need to balance getting the name out there with profitability. I hope I am guessing high. Let's remember this is a new and untested model. You have to venture into expensive territory to find another performance 3 row.

Personally I hope for it to start in the low 50s, but I have a feeling that's a pipe dream.

20. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

I see it close to the jeep srt...it will have 3 rows of srt bucket seats...

wtxiceman likes this.