AF: Dodge full size SUV? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge full size SUV?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aaaaaa, Sep 7, 2020.

1. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Active Member

Will Dodge do an full size like the Wagoneer? Also will two size SUV like Chevy Tahoe?

2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Does a full-size SUV even fit Dodge’s current “muscle car” brand mission?

Journey and Caravan are gone from the Dodge portfolio for a reason.

3. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

And would it make more money for FCA than a similar cost to produce Jeep?

aldo90731 likes this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Well they were saying Durango would go BOF, and then I saw someone recently saying it would stay as-is because they just did the refresh. Who knows? Until after the merger, I wouldn’t put too much stock in “plans” that aren’t already close to fruition.

5. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

And even then...you should believe nothing that you hear and read from them...and only half of what you see!:D

6. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

I read here that the Durango would be around for two more years now. Maybe after that?

7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Durango just got a refresh, so it’s good for now. They probably would want to see what happens sales-wise with Wagoneer before deciding to add another large BOF SUV to the mix anyway.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  8. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

If Chrysler could manage to Make a unibody SUV Durango in the image of a Crossover (Low center of gravity with car like handling), then they Could make a BOF SUV look like a unibody SUV..

BTW Muscle Car isnt defined by the body style of Vehicle. (See Magnum, Charger, Hellcat Durango, RAM SRT 10 )

Tony K likes this.
  9. aldo90731

While it is true that “Muscle Car” isn’t defined by body type, it is also true that that definition is too constraining for something like Durango to sell in greater numbers, and for things like Journey and Caravan to even exist.

Stellantis is going to have to re-evaluate the missions Chrysler, Dodge and Lancia have been given. And perhaps DS as well.

10. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

They could have made Journey work—they just never committed to making it work. It was a great size/utility design, but was never allowed to explore how to make it a performance vehicle.

11. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

If they want a piece of the law enforcement (SUV) vehicle pie then a Dodge or Ram version will be necessary.
    Why?
    1. Jeeps cost more. And anything with 'Grand' in the name also sounds more expensive. Not a good thing to try to get past the budget people.
    2. For many Jeep still doesn't have a stellar reputation when it comes to quality.

jimboy, AmbassadorSST and Tony K like this.
  12. Ryan

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually CUSW could have made a good basis for a smallish performance SUV. Clearly not as good as Giorgio, but Giorgio wasn’t available 5 years ago either.

13. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Does a full size 'Ramcharger' fit in RAM's profile???

I think so... :)

14. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

Lest we forget SRT engineers had definitely been working on a Journey. I posted pictures of an SRT badged mule of one years back (10 years ish). Manufacturer plates and a large healthy sounding exhaust. Then there was the Journey SRT on the 5 year plan (that was since axed).

They definitely did a lot to explore making it a performance vehicle. Sadly we may never know what became of that Journey mule I saw and the SRT Journey later. It would be nice to find out why they got stopped.

XRT2SRT, UN4GTBL, HoboChangba and 2 others like this.
  15. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

I did forget, thanks for reminding me.

16. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

If they make a third suv on that platform it'll be a Ram not a Dodge.

Powdered Toast Man likes this.
  17. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

To be fair I only remember it because seeing that car in the wild and getting pictures here for an article was what made me decide to stop lurking and actually post.

18. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Was the 5 year plan a journey SRT or the replacement for journey SRT? I believe it also had the Dart SRT in the plan too. Been awhile...

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Sorry but a BOF cant be compared to unibody in handling or nvh, while a BOF is much more adoptable for a number of uses like a pickup truck needs its equally ill suited for carlike behaviour. There is a reson why mother started with unibodies in the late 50´s.

Both Dodge and chevvy has proven that muscle cars, pick ups, econoboxes and ordinary people movers can coexist within the brands general image.

Donte Lindsey, page2171 and Tony K like this.
  20. MIKE3187

MIKE3187 Active Member

Can’t Dodge just leave well enough alone and stop whining for products just for the sake of products?

As a performance brand I would think a sports car or sporty SUV would be in their crosshairs (LOL), not a BOF SUV.. and Ram buyers are more than happy with the 1500.

Where are the unique products? They need to sort out their brand direction before pandering for product in new segments if they’re going to try and get back into a segment that doesn’t align with their performance image; all while their once-aspirational brand Chrysler fades further away.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.