AF: Dodge full size SUV? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge full size SUV?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aaaaaa, Sep 7, 2020.

1. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

TBH, who knows. One of the infographics said D-CUV SRT, the other specifically says Journey SRT. Both in the same presentation.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  2. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Dodge should care more about getting the Giorgio-based mid-size CUV than about getting a version of the Wagoneer. From a brand perspective, the handling and performance options are much higher there, and it's a bigger segment of the market to play in where most of the offerings are bland, boring, and fuel-economy focused. They can more readily and easily differentiate and gain recognition with an SRT model while still offering versions that are fuel efficient. Much harder to do in the full-size SUV segment, and much smaller potential.

UN4GTBL, jimboy, page2171 and 3 others like this.
  3. Cajun300C

Cajun300C Well-Known Member

#23 Cajun300C, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    XRT2SRT and jimboy like this.
  4. Thom Paré

Thom Paré Active Member

Personally, for the sake of the Dodge brand, I'd like to see maybe a sporty 5-seat SUV in the same vein as the Audi Q5 or Porsche Macan in terms of size, performance, etc. Not that it's my personal choice of vehicle, but it's the next logical step to successfully expand the Dodge brand a beyond the three primary models while still keeping the current spirit of the brand. In all honesty, sporty performance-based SUVs in all competitive segments may be the best way to save the Dodge brand from extinction while using the performance image they've successfully cultivated with their current lineup.

Quambi, XRT2SRT, UN4GTBL and 5 others like this.
  5. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The Challenger and Charger GT packages with AWD do a great job of splitting the difference between passenger cars and utility vehicles. But yes, Dodge really needs such a five seat SUV. I don't know what happened to a rumored Dodge crossover model. Unlike the Charger and Challenger with their heritage and reputation, a new SUV can get away with the 2.0T GME four standard. This motor acquits itself well in the four door Wranglers in our fleet. Dodge branded vehicles also need some sort of electrification, the dynamics and smoothness of the BSG equipped Jeeps and Rams I have driven is great.

Thom Paré, kevin m. Henry and tlc like this.
  6. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Problem being they have teased us with this possibility foryears. Time to pull the trigger or close’em down, and I much prefer the former.

kevin m. Henry likes this.
  7. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

They probably didn't even know themselves, the fact no Journey SRT or new D-CUV even happened kinda tips the hat towards that theory

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Here we go again.

No, there will not be a Dodge version of the BoF SUV.

There won't be another Dodge version of anything.

Enjoy the current lineup for as long as they can make them.

Prove me wrong.

9. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I kinda wish they'd just go ahead and cut Dodge and Chrysler so we could be done discussing that all the time.

UN4GTBL and Adventurer55 like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

OMG!! You said they were going to cut Dodge and Chrysler, you must have insider info!! Oh the humanity!! (Sorry, couldn’t resist :p)

Seriously though, I get wanting them to make vehicles that you’re interested in for the brands that you love. But at the end of the day, when you’re ready to make a purchase, they either have what you want or they don’t. If they do, buy. If they don’t, someone else may. It ain’t the end of the world, life goes on.

jorisr, page2171 and Ryan like this.
  11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Unlikely. Nothing of any significance will happen for at least two or three years, until this merger gets sorted out. If you want to know if Dodge and Chrysler are going to stay, watch the CAW negotiations going on now. That will tell you if there's a future.

12. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yes. It's just a car. Luckily if Dodge doesn't make what you want, there are dozens of other brands to buy from.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  13. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I'll wait. Neither FCA nor Stellantis has anything to gain with it's biggest current market by killing off anything. Why would you nurse along two storied brands just to kill one or more? I submit that Tavares has something up his sleeve, and neither he, nor his Manley are saying, for whatever reason(s), most likely involving the merger and anti-trust laws.

ScramFan and Donte Lindsey like this.
  14. dodge999

dodge999 Active Member

15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

See? Anyone who wanted a new Journey, Caravan, or 300 can just mosey into the Maserati dealership and find something appropriate there! Problem solved! :p

UN4GTBL, suzq044, tlc and 5 others like this.
  16. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Yeah...I wouldn't think Stellantis would want to give up those lucrative law enforcement contracts.

I've seen a lot more Durango Hwy Patrol vehicles on the road recently...maybe the new Ford Explorer isn't cutting it?

UN4GTBL and tlc like this.
  17. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Was it an SRT 6? I heard the Pentastar V6 was a hard engine to mod, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Journey just needed a major update...baby Durango touches and a new interior.

UN4GTBL, Tony K and Awdrtrallyer like this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Ford had somewhere around 63% of the law enforcement vehicle market back in 2018 according to a report from ABC I saw recently. I imagine that percentage has dropped significantly because of the discontinuation of Taurus and the production/quality issues with the new Explorer. I have seen them with the PA and Delaware State Police, but they are rare. I see mostly Tahoe's for all local law enforcement, but I am seeing more Durango's recently...more so than Explorers for sure. What that translates into actual numbers is anyone's guess because I think all the automakers are combining these sales with their civilian numbers from what I've seen online...might be wrong on that.

AmbassadorSST and tlc like this.
  19. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Its simple to make a unique poduct but much harder to make your brand attractive.
    - what you need to do if youre not a niche company is to make things for a lot of customers and since the most part of customers are "middle" people you have to have something for them and that is things that they need but with the carisma of the brand.
    Thats why though pickups and hellcats can be a part of a minivan making company.
    - Most will disagree but i find that "mischmash" can and do work in a product portofolio, and for Dodge its time to bring back Ram, minivans and something small/ cheap like the Cherokee and Renegade ( Badge engineering ). Infact Chrysler should also get their share of bageengineered cars and maybe a pick up and grand cherokee variant.

20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

So Maserati is on its second rebirth in 10 years.
    While Dodge and Chrysler still wait.

I’ve noticed the Dodge commercials with all the tire smoke have disappeared from TV.