AF: Dodge full size SUV? | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge full size SUV?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aaaaaa, Sep 7, 2020.

1. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are now counting in the similar way as Germans. PHEV or BEV versions of the same car model are counted as a separate model. LOL
    Coupé and Cabrio versions of the same model are counted separately.

2. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Can we skip the US/Italy thing, please? This is not how FCA operates financially (you don’t have to believe me; how things are paid for is right there in figures in their annual reports).

Anyone who’s dead-set on finding a “victim” should note that Maserati’s MC20 came at the expense of Alfa Romeo’s 6C/8C product budget.

Jeep and Ram are starving Dodge and Chrysler. This should be obvious.

Tony K, jimboy, tabutler and 4 others like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Even Jeep is stuck pedaling old stale vehicles. Grand Cherokee should have been redone some years ago. Renegade and Cherokee are outdated and not competitive.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Grand Cherokee is ready to launch. Was scheduled for end of November, at LA, but will probably be on-line now.. Given the media black-hole that a presidential election creates, there’s no point in announcing it any earlier.

Renegade was updated last year, and gets a PHEV drivetrain early next year; I don’t know what amazing subcompact SUVs you get in the States that outclass it, because I don’t see them here in Europe. Cherokee, we can agree needs an update.

5. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Would the 3-row reveal be in November as well? (hoping with fingers crossed)

6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Renegade is just an average vehicle here. Seems to appeal to mostly women. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan models sell in higher numbers and considered by many to be a better buy. I don't agree, but I'm biased.

jimboy and HoboChangba like this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

They have finally gotten serious and are adding some previously optional safety content to Jeeps. It's about time that they did this if they want people to consider them a premium brand. A premium brand that didn't even compete with Toyota on standard safety equipment.

#47 valiant67, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  8. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

Sure it was hard for end users to mod because that is the way FCA has been developing there engines and control modules lately. However, the pentastar was specifically designed with forced induction in mind. One of the older plans even showed approximate horsepower ratings for the HO versions of each of engines.

The problem many seem to have with pstar v6 mods is that the exhaust manifold was integrated with the cylinder head.

Otherwise the problem with mod friendliness (or even factory performance) is that generally there is not much more performance to ring out of the engine as it stands. I am sure you could probably ring out another 20-30 ft lbs of torque peak to getting darn near 300 ft lbs. But you are changing operating parameters and definitely requiring premium fuel. And likely reducing engine longevity.

Lest we not forget, the beast that is the 6.4 has 475 ft lbs of torque. That is basically identical to the pstar by displacement. But the pstar is 87 octane and the 392 needs premium.

Turbo/supercharging is definitely the quick win. There are a few turbo and supercharged pstars running around. Some have over 400hp. The highest factory hp rating from a pentastar based/derived engine would be the 404hp maserati v6 3.0. Uses a pstar block as a rough base, but the entire top end is different.

jimboy and AmbassadorSST like this.
  9. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

@Zagnut27 my understanding is that if they don’t arrive together, it will be the 3-row WL75 that arrives first.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I keep waiting for someone to say, “oh, gee...see, that’s not coming to the US anymore...”. An irrational fear? Perhaps. :p

11. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

Just adding my pinch of salt. If the Durango can't be a muscle-car, it can be a "muscle-truck" or "muscle SUV/CUV". ;-)

12. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

I would love to see a new Charger/Challenger/300/Magnum (cough cough)

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

They have new charger snd challengers every year and spend a lot of advertising on them. They also put a lot of effort and advertising into the durango srt and hellcat. I see dodge commercials a lot more than jeep or dodge.

14. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Don't worry Zag.

You're just suffering an attack of P.O T.S.S...(Post-Occupation Traumatic Stress Syndrome).
    I think a lot of us here still have the occasional flash-back ever since the Dark Days of The Occupation.:D

XRT2SRT and Tony K like this.
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’ve been wanting them to build a 3-row Grand Cherokee-like vehicle for quite some time, back to when Wagoneer was going to be that model. I just don’t know if it’ll arrive soon enough. I’m really tired of the herd of small vehicles we have, and I’m more than tired of that Audi POS. My wife and I were having a spirited discussion this morning (no kids, we’re not arguing!!) about when to buy our family hauler, and we reluctantly decided to wait a little longer until hopefully we’re no longer paying the kids school tuition...assuming the public schools actually open up some time in the near future. That’s $2k/month we’d be saving!

If we had to choose right now, we’d pick the Aviator I think. If the 3-row GC is a wow, then maybe we’ll wait for it. I do know I’m tired of shoe-horning all of us into the Encore, A3 (when it runs), and my Mustang. The trigger finger is getting itchy....

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  16. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope your kids appreciate the HUGE sacrifice you and your wife are making to keep them out of the paws of the Public School Systems.

Back when I was just about to start Elementary School, my Mother had wanted to send me to the local Catholic 1st. to 8th. grade elementary school. Most of the rest of the family talked her out of it, and I ended up in the local Public School System.

Looking back...she always had regrets about letting me attend Public Schools.

As for your next 'ride'...waiting a while longer is probably the prudent thing to do, especially since the dust hasn't settled yet regarding the arrival of STELL/\NTIS.

17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Our school district is supposedly very good. The kids are still going to their private preschool and doing their virtual Kindergarten learning from their...which enables us to keep working. The staff there is excellent....but it’s expensive. The public school would be just as good, but unfortunately they won’t be going for in-person learning until probably January now. They could start hybrid learning in October, but we just opted yesterday to keep them with virtual. Once again, it’s expensive, but it’s the consistency that we need right now.

So to bring this back to being on topic, we’d buy something right now if we really had to, but it’d be nice to wait until we aren’t paying tuition anymore. That $2k/month in savings would buy us a Durango, 3-row GC, Wagoneer, full-size Dodge SUV, or anything else we want...just depends on which is the best available candidate when we’re ready to purchase.

18. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Well Zag, we don't have any kids at home anymore. My truck I've had since new has 225k on it and our Commander has 205k on it. We were going the Durango route, but that's changed to a Ram 1500. I'm hoping to wait until Tavares takes the reins and see if he cans dead weight at Auburn Hills and makes some positive changes in that culture there. If not, I guess I'll take my chances on one anyway.

kevin m. Henry and Zagnut27 like this.
  19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, I’d still be happily driving my old Liberty around if the frame hadn’t gotten so bad. I really miss it, old or not. I wouldn’t mind getting a Rebel, but my wife doesn’t want that as our family car. I may end up with one as my daily driver though down the road. Apparently there’s a lot of vehicles I’m cross shopping for myself. Lol.

20. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Wow that is impressive. I have actually never kept a car past 100k miles.

Lol. Quite a bizarre blanket statement you’re making here. All private schools and all public schools were certainly not created equal. My public school turned out more kids going to ivy leagues than the surrounding private schools by a considerable degree.

gminnebo likes this.