AF: Dodge Future Electrification | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Future Electrification

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CharlesTown Cob, Aug 17, 2020.

1. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

Will the Challenger be like the VW Beetle and Checker and never get a sheet metal update? Maybe they will update the interiors and change the wheels every few years until 2103... and beyond.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It is important for a few reasons.
    Like the small sedans, FCA is losing volume to the "appliance" manufacturer.
    Strong discounts are in place, but are not reversing the trend.
    More discounts plus less than expected volume = eroding profit margins.
    The "customer experience" at Jeep (combination of product quality, product appeal, sales experience, and service experience) isn't even competitive with main line appliance brands. How do they expect to perform to luxury brand expectations?

As for Subaru, I don't care about them and don't really follow them. I do notice in the North East US a lot of potential Jeep sales are lost to Subaru. Subaru doesn't advertise discounts in every commercial, and maintains a somewhat strong following despite quirky cars and potential quality issues..

#23 valiant67, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    page2171 likes this.
  3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Electrified ZF is in production but not the 4th generation. It's the one everyone wants.

ScramFan and MJAB like this.
  4. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Well continuing to produce DCX holdover designs in the Journey and Grand Caravan for 12 years didn't help. They got updated in 2011 but on the exterior all that anyone saw was the new grille - and even that stuck around for 9 years.

It's painfully clear that the entire organization (which means all brands) have ended up where they are now because Sergio changed the mission from building new product to chasing margins at all costs. Jeep and Ram command the best margins because they have that brand power in their nameplates (And Ram was the most profitable part of Dodge and that's why they spun it off). Dodge and Chrysler have been stuck with old platform vehicles because the majority of their development costs were paid for by the previous ownership and amortized out a long time ago. This has now put Jeep in the position of being the mainstream brand and having to build the vehicles that the market needs (small and mid size on road focused CUVs). Dodge or Chrysler will never see another new product because the moment they have to factor in development cost along with the price points those nameplates would require the margins evaporate. We have all asked why they wouldn't make a Dodge/Chrysler CUV based on say, the Compass. Well, the answer is that if they can sell a Dodge CUV at $25,000 but the comparable model Compass can be sold at $30,000 (because "Jeep") and they both cost about the same to manufacture, then what's the business case for the Dodge model to exist?

I don't like it one bit. But this is the course the ship was placed on a long time ago. Unless someone in the current leadership decides they can't bear to see Dodge and Chrysler whither and die then their fates were sealed when those initial decisions were made.

#25 Powdered Toast Man, Aug 19, 2020
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I can agree in many points. If was for me I would made most, if not all, 4x4 Jeeps.
    The 4x2, with a flatter rear suspension (that is available, for example for Small architecture) that allows more side space for cargo area and rear seats, than mode cargo volume.

I think the problem was that Manley had too much power inside the organization. Project of other SUVs for the other brands (Chrysler, Fiat, Dodge, ...) were stopped, even the 4 m long SUV.
    I think because Manley wanting to have all attention on Jeep (and on himself).
    Just think to Aegea/Tipo project based on Small platform, was only approved because Tofas, that is a joint venture, took the risk investing money and taking charge of production. The project went on because pushed by Altavilla that in the past was CEO of Tofas and in good relationship with some Koc family members (the parithetic joint venture is FCA - Koc group).
    The other vehicle on Small platform that was developed was the Fiat Strada, that was done by FCA LATAM that are very indipendent from the rest of the group and pushed by the COO of LATAM.

As for dealerships, if was for me and allowed by laws, I would separate selling the product from service, even opening service to other indipendent companies so to have customer to be free to go where service is better.

#26 MJAB, Aug 19, 2020
    ScramFan likes this.
  6. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Could Chrysler buy Pep Boys or have a PEF buy a major repair chain and have a partnership where Chrysler will train technicians, and honor the warranty? Or is that skirting the law too much? They'd still be working other makes but FCA would be their primary partnership.

7. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

Sure! Let's just use a theoretical Chrysler CUV. Call it Town & Country or Windsor or whatever you want. Base it on an Alfa/Peugeot platform (let's use Stelvio), and have the following as standard:

- 2.0L turbo. 3.6L Pentastar optional on any trim level. Edelbrock supercharged Pentastar on SRT-6.
    - Power front seats simulated leather (heated/ventilated/real leather optional). Let the customer choose what color. Heated/ventilated rear seats also optional.
    - Ambient lighting.
    - Wood/aluminum/carbon fiber/body color trim. Customer's choice. If you want brown and blue leather with carbon fiber, go for it.
    - RWD. AWD is optional. Terrain modes borrowed from Jeep, Sport and Sport+ modes on SRT-6.
    - ESP/Braking Assist/yada yada yada.
    - LED lighting all around.
    - Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. Borrow the infotainment from Stelvio, or update UConnect.
    - Simulated leather dash. Genuine leather with topstitching as part of a package. Customer gets to choose colors.
    - Simulated leather door panels. Genuine leather with topstitching as part of a package. Customer gets to choose colors.
    - Cloth headliner standard. Suede or panoramic sunroof optional.
    - Digital gauge cluster that changes graphics depending on driving mode. HUD optional.
    - Automatic power doors and liftgate.

For many people, this could be their first "luxury" car. That's what Chrysler used to be - affordable luxury. You're not going to have the nicest car with the nicest features on the market, but you can make Chrysler the most configurable and customizable car company around. Mostly I would just want a car that's not going to fall apart like my Compass has. Set a new standard for reliability and make it clear that while reliability has been an issue, this is a new Chrysler under new management. Yes, we may be owned by some gigantic European conglomeration, but we are going to be the luxury car for the working man. Change the logo if you have to. There's zero equity in the wings logo anymore. With the things I've listed, there's no reason they couldn't have this vehicle go out and compete against the GLA 250 or the BMW X1. I'm open to any questions.

8. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

You have just described the next-generation Grand Cherokee.

Edit: I'm seeing your examples of competitors, so it would be smaller than a Grand Cherokee. But it does sound similar to the compact-to-midsize RWD Dodge crossover that was/is planned. I don't think you're going to find a vehicle in the subcompact crossover segment with an optional V6 unless you are simply saying it could compete in that price range, but with more value through the larger size and additional equipment?

ScramFan likes this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Artificial leather as an option would be nice. So tired of the only choices being cheap cloth or leather plastered everywhere.

tlc likes this.
  10. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

No, I'm not. I'm describing a CUV closer to a 107" wheelbase than a full-size Grand Cherokee. I'm all for Chrysler having a Grand Cherokee based SUV, but I also understand that could steal sales from Alfa or Jeep. If I ran Chrysler (and they're probably thankful I don't) I would try to have it look like this:

Chrysler - Flagship Brand
    "Aspen" full-sized SUV
    "Windsor" compact CUV
    Chronos - sports sedan
    Trim levels - LX/LXI/Imperial/SRT

Dodge - Performance division - you can get a HEMI in a Challenger/Charger no matter the trim level
    Viper - Twin-turbo HEMI supercar
    Challenger - pony coupe
    Charger - Muscle sedan
    Spirit - compact performance sedan, shares platform with Chronos
    Trim levels - EX/RT/SRT

Plymouth - affordable muscle/quirky cars - you can get a HEMI in Barracuda/Fury with minimal bells and whistles
    Barracuda - Challenger based
    Fury - Charger based
    Talon/Talon SRT-4 - Compact coupe/sedan
    Aries - Fiat small crossover based "quirky" car - think Kia Soul

11. Powdered Toast Man

What? You got a problem with rich Corinthian leather? :D

[​IMG]

Chebby7, Tony K, Chris mopar and 2 others like this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

No, but my wife is vegan. It’s hard to find a decent vehicle these days that isn’t covered in dead animals...or cheap cloth.

gforce2002 likes this.
  13. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'm not vegan by any means, but I don't see a point in using real animal leather when other alternatives are available, so I'd gladly buy something with only artificial leather.

tlc, gforce2002 and Zagnut27 like this.
  14. Powdered Toast Man

I've had some really bad experiences with PU leather on furniture. It's... well it's not durable.

15. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

On-road performance—take L- platform, create tall-wagon body, increase ride height slightly, make sure tires have enough rubber to absorb pothole shock, give it an aggressive stance, HEMI power train, and MARKET. After it makes a splash, release a BEV version and take the Mustang to the cleaners.

16. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

Oh no, you are talking about Naugahyde. Save the Nagas!!! :)

Tony K and Zagnut27 like this.
  17. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Most "leather" is fake.

Tony K and thebluegoat like this.
  18. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

That brings up a good point. Jeep could always be the environmental brand and offer an all-electric vehicle with a vegan interior.

Ryan and Zagnut27 like this.