AF: Dodge Future Electrification | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Future Electrification

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CharlesTown Cob, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’ve heard that is true, but trying to figure out what’s real and what’s not ends up being a pain. The back and forth I had to go through with the rep from Lincoln about their “soft touch material” or whatever it’s called...yeah, it was a pain to figure out just what the material was (or at least wasn’t).

78A35ACF-4157-4FA4-904C-862733676033.jpeg

I’d just like the option of different types of materials. And yes, I’d be willing to pay extra for them.

2. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

I'm genuinely asking, what can be done to interiors to make them more vegan? Simulated leather seats, reclaimed wood accents, recycled plastic. Is there anything I'm missing?

3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’m certainly no expert, but it’s not just the materials like leather and suede, but it’s the adhesives used as well...a lot of that is derived from animal products. Before my wife went vegan I had no idea that animal products were so wide spread...they’re basically everywhere. Food, clothing, cars, medicines, cosmetics, etc. And it’s not always obvious. I’m not a stickler about it as much as my wife is, but I try to accommodate her wishes when I can. Something as simple as sugar and flour can have animal products in them. It’s just ridiculous.

4. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

i´ve said it before and i say it again:
    - Badge engineering!
    Ok so now you are saying what a cheap and lousy alternative.
    Well just look at vag...audi, vw, skoda and seat, basically the same cars but definately not the same feel.
    For every model there should be a dodge, chrysler or jeep variant given some exceptions..
    - a jeep 300/ charger or challenger wont work just like a dodge wrangler or a chrysler gladiator wont.
    How to separate em then..
    well chrysler goes a bit softer, plusher and lower to the ground. dodge on the other hand goes stiffer and more agressive in styling.
    Jeep keeps its "offroad, sturdie" theme.
    - and here you have it three models from the same renegade, compass or grand cherokee wiyh different styling and drivers feel.
    The GC and Durango are perfect examples of this just add a chryler version..
    The Suv/ cuv trend plays right into mothers hands since it can tap the jeep lineup for models. And yes there should be a Chrysler Ram and ram if not returned to dodge should atleast be named doge ram to help dodge.

They have to be on top when it comes to electrification, both hybrids and pure ones.

5. Chris mopar

Chris mopar Well-Known Member

Since it appears from other post that the BOF Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer are both going to be Tahoe size and I assume the future BOF Durango the same, why not reviver the Town and Country name for a BOF Chrysler Suburban size suv, which might be too long for a Jeep, but a nice luxury people mover for Chrysler. I don’t know if a business case could be made for that, but it would make a nice flagship for Chrysler and shouldn’t compete with Jeep.

Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  6. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

The difference is that Audi, VW, Skoda and Seat are not all placed in the same showroom. It costs money to differentiate between a Jeep Compass and a Chrysler version. Why do that when you can just sell the Jeep? Sure, you could sell more CUVs if you had a Chrysler version because there's sure to be somebody out there who doesn't want to buy a Jeep for whatever reason, but could you really sell a lot more? And where Jeep is headed, if you want a luxury UV, Jeep is the place to go, not Chrysler.

As for Dodge and electrification... look, the whole brand image of Dodge is muscle, which usually goes hand in hand with a big V8. Can you outperform a Hemi V8 with an electric platform? Absolutely. Is that the brand identity of Dodge? No, not really at all. People are not out there screaming for electric cars. It's a niche still, and you can sell to that niche, and supposedly it will eventually become mainstream, but until it does there's no market reason to spend billions to play in it yet.

Chris mopar likes this.
  7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

With the ZF 8HP 4th generation (2022 production start) will it be possible to have same (or better) performances of actual Dodge Hemi lineup but will lower power consumption (emissions).

8. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

They'll just go fully electric and probably have 1500hp. The next model S and BMW M5 are already slated to have 1000hp. Dodge isn't going to give the hp leader title up, strap in boys.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  9. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

If it helps anything called "nappa leather" is fake. Others get away with still calling their interiors leather because one piece might be, the bolsters etc while the rest is phony.

10. flffddy

flffddy Well-Known Member

The difference is that Dodge can easily up the HP in a V8. It's a tried and true formula, and it doesn't cost that much to do. The end result is a lineup of halo cars that are expensive but share a lot in common with their base model brethren. You aren't going to sell that many Demons, but you'll sell a lot of SXTs and R/Ts. At some point Dodge will have to give up that HP title to someone else, but I don't think it matters because you might be able to buy a really fast Tesla but when you pull up at a stoplight, everybody is going to be looking at, and listening to, your Dodge.

Tony K and ScramFan like this.
  11. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

Buy why won't Dodge let me buy a V8 with AWD?

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Because money spent on AWD development has not been as great as money spent on horsepower development.
    With these insane power ratings, you really could use all wheels to get that power to the ground. Or you just end up with lots of tire smoke like in the Dodge commercials.

Tony K likes this.
  13. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Apparently the 8-speed + V8 + AWD system does not fit in the L cars.

Tony K likes this.
  14. The Batman

The Batman Active Member

Well now. TIL. I just wish I could get AWD with a Hemi so that I could survive Pennsylvania winters. I would be spinning like Anakin Skywalker if I had to stick to RWD only.

15. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

It'll be the same thing with electric, one motor on each wheel, less moving parts, better reliability. EV actually makes more sense for weekend/fun/race vehicles than daily drivers. 2000hp EV cars are in the works. Just saw a video of a viper guy that went NA with his build because he said in 20 years when all the kids have 3000hp EV's nobody will even know how to work on a twin turbo V10. Its gonna happen, no use making excuses, hellcat is just the final V8 Mopar send off.

Tony K likes this.
  16. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

maybe not the final perhaps, but the end is near.

17. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Electrification can be used in performance applications to produce much better results than ICE vehicles, so it's only a matter of time, really.

18. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

you never know, the BOF Durango might just be designed to look andvfeel like a Unibody SUV the same way the Durango is more CUV than SUV compared to the grand Cherokee.

19. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

GM's working on an entire new EV fleet, Cadillac is going all EV, 1000hp tesla model S and BMW M5 coming. Hummer will be another bronco/Jeep but all EV and 2000lbft torque. Its an inbound tsunami

20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Really? I thought Napa leather was real leather with some kind of finish on it. Ugh.

Like the leather suede seats in the Durango. I think the suede part is Alcantara(?), which is artificial. Not sure about the “leather” part.

I guess I never really thought about it much, nor cared before now.