AF: Dodge in Nascar? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge in Nascar?

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by kpax478, Nov 23, 2019.

1. kpax478

kpax478 Member

Well I'm just checking to see if there are any new news or rumors concerning Dodge coming back to Nascar for 2020 or 2021.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

It's too late for 2020 or 2021. Dodge would have had to submit a car for consideration to NASCAR 18 months or so before the beginning of the season. Obviously to late for 2020 and probably too late for 2021. I think for 2021 Dodge would have to submit something by this past summer (July 2019 time frame). And the would have to have something in the works right now to have ready for 2022. I don't see it happening.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Dodge to return to NASCAR. I'm surprised GM has to stayed in the game with all the issues they have.

mdh1776, Tony K and DC-93 like this.
  3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Are you kidding? Belief in motorsports is ingrained in the company from the top down. When they were spiraling down into bankruptcy in 2008, they went full-bore into developing their IRL motor. They also added Tony Stewart's team to their Nascar roster. I watched that mutual love-fest when they had their big public pronouncement and it was sickening the way they were fawning all over each other.

4. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I can's see FCA kissing the A in NASCAR to get some play there. They probably feel that NASCAR is so mutated away from street cars that the investment won't add to sales. Now if it was Trans Am I think they would actually get some traction from it if Trans Am was more publicized.
    I for one would love to see Trans Am more publicized, and get more popular, real race fans will love to see the closer to stock cars and just say no to manufacturers who really don't build high performance cars for their customers you know who I mean.

It would make me even happier if GM and Ford left and NASCAR can get all the way into bed with Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia etc. Then let's see the ticket sales.

#4 LouJC, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Mopar77, Tony K and DC-93 like this.
  5. HoboChangba

HoboChangba Well-Known Member

I don't know if you go to the races Lou but I can say for the past twenty years it's amazing how many foreign cars there are in the parking lots. And they have Junior's decals or his daddy or Johnson, Gordon et al. Not so sure it means as much to some as others think it should. Just saying.......

DC-93, page2171 and rapidtrans like this.
  6. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I’ve gone continuously every year for 15+ years except this past year when I switched to Trans Am. While I’ve seen a lot of foreign cars that is just the market. And nothing new. Does not change my opinion one bit.

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Tony K, mdh1776 and BASONE88 like this.
  8. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

I thought that statement was quite thought provoking as well.
    Question is will someone invite him to the Daytona 500 and any IMSA race that features Challengers??

mdh1776 and Beentherebefore like this.
  9. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

He may have already attended Nascar races when he was head of Nissan North America. At that time Dodge was still running in Nascar, so I'm sure he has seen them if he attended.

mdh1776 and Beentherebefore like this.
  10. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Peugeot has been very active un racing, Im sure they Will like to get involved in América if they Will see that It could be un their benefit
    So ir they Will ever come to América they might get involved, and in the meantime they might consider the return of Dodge un racing.
    My two cents.
    Hope I will not have a nightmare because of this post, didnt take my words from any site.
    No need yo credit.

mdh1776 likes this.
  11. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good evening, this i believe would be an opportune time for any new Mfg. to join nascar USA ( don't know what this is called now that Monster has left ) since all OEMS will have new boddies which I read will not be given to teams until July. The lead time for new bodies I believe was 18 months this will have to be waived for this introduction I would think. I am very hopefully Dodge/Mopar will take advantage of this one time opening. Who knows ?
    MOPAR Always!

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

On top of all that, imo Nascar would be so glad to get Dodge back into their races that they might waive a few of their new timelines. Even the current competitors want more brands racing in the series (or so they have said) so they might be more likely to overlook the late entry of a newcomer and not resort to the traditional complaining.

Mopar Jerry, mdh1776 and Jerry Simcik like this.
  13. Glenn81

Glenn81 Well-Known Member

I think having a CEO that is a racer will know the benefits of being involved. Lets hope he makes it happen

14. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Agreed that would be great. Who, besides FCA (+Peugot) builds as many high performance cars in the NASCAR tradition?
    NOT:
    Toyota! They couldn't or wouldn't even build the Supra on their own, had to enlist the help of BMW
    Honda---> stick to F-1 where they belong
    Nissan, well maybe, at least they are coming out with a new Z car OF THEIR OWN DESIGN....
    Subaru, NO
    Hyundai/Kia NO.

I don't really understand how many old school NASCAR fans can keep their lunch down seeing Camry pace cars at NASCAR. Even if they were to switch to the Supra, same thing, this company really does not care about high performance street cars. They did better with this in the '80s, for sure.

mdh1776 likes this.
  15. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Nothing going on at the Chrysler Tech Center.

mdh1776 likes this.
  16. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

Would there be???

Seriously - if the body is mostly NASCAR-designed, engine is mostly-spec, chassis is built by a third-party, etc...

I would imagine if anything is going on, it's happening at a race shop closer to Charlotte.

Does any of Prefix's T/A effort actually occur in Auburn Hills?

Nothing may be happening, but I wouldn't look at the CTC and make a conclusions based on that alone...

17. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct about the spec stuff.
    Anybody can start a team now and run a Dodge if they wanted.
    Maybe everyone here can get together, send in some money and get a team going! :cool:

Don't look to Dodge for any $$$, though... (according to my SRT manager buddy)

18. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

I like some of the new Gen 7 stuff - I certainly like the more-stock appearances and some modern improvements, but the push for "Spec"-everything is a huge turn-off for me.

I wish IMSA and T/A would quit focusing on the over-the-top spec-type stuff in their already limited coverages. The best racing and best innovation is in the production-based classes...

Mopar77 and mdh1776 like this.
  19. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

I doubt that FCA would pony up the NASCAR tithe for Dodge to run let alone the the continual investment to make Dodge competitive.

20. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

BINGO! Correct answer!

valiant67 and Fast Eddie like this.