AF: Dodge in Nascar? | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge in Nascar?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by kpax478, Nov 23, 2019.

1. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

This is what I’ve been saying for years but you put it much better thanks!!!

2. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Well-Known Member

Hate to disappoint you, but it will celebrate its 100th in 2048 and will be around long after we are gone. Not saying there are no problems but to say its dead? No.

3. Glenn81

Glenn81 Active Member

I know that I'm biased, I myself have raced stock cars for many years and I'm still involved with my son doing the driving now. Between the two of us we've raced a Dodge since 1995. We all wish Dodge would get back in Nascar, I realize that Nascar has lots of problems but it's still the most watched form of auto racing in North America. Has the most TV viewers and the most fans. Also judging by the posts in here I'm not the only one that thinks this way. I think that there is more Nascar posts in here yet compared to other racing, and Dodge hasn't been in the sport since November 2012.

4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Peugeot news.

Peugeot is devolving a LeMans car. It should be ready for the 2022 season. It is taking this long, because the car has to be street legal, or have a street brethren, and it will be campaigned in the Hyper car class. This is a new class for 2021/22 (I think), that will be the new top GT class. They will be street based, but fully dedicated racers. Take all of the current crop of street hyper exotics, and that it what will be racing.

They were going to race it with Rebellion Racing (Swiss Team), in the WEC and LeMans. Rebellion Racing is ending it’s program after this year’s LeMans. The French Oreca team ran the Rebellion effort.

I strongly suspect that Peugeot will just go directly to Oreca to run and manage the team. Both entities are French, and bringing the LeMans trophy back to France would be a pretty huge deal.

5. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

Oreca campaigned the Vipers, right?

6. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

There is a difference between "dying" and "dead"...
    Maybe NASCAR will be around in 2048, but it will be a ghost of its former self. NASCAR is hemorrhaging viewers. The next TV contracts will tell the tale.

Ernesto likes this.
  7. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Every single sport be it racing or a physical running, skating sport is a shell of its former self. As we find out new things over the years rules and teh way we play change. As it stands right now nascar has plateaued its drop and has found where it should have been for years.

mdh1776, Glenn81 and Robert J Sublett like this.
  8. Robert J Sublett

Exactly as long as NASCAR is drawing 35-50k per race on-site, it's all good. The TV is butter on the biscuit, it really doesn't matter to survival. NASCAR is in a spot comparable to where baseball has traveled since the 1994 labor issues. The recovery was slow and underwhelming but baseball as a whole is in a nice spot. The same will happen with NASCAR. It is just a market adjustment. I get that it is easy to write NASCAR off right now just because Dodge is not there right now, but things aren't all that bad.

mdh1776 and Doug D like this.
  9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

NASCAR may eventually become more of a regional sport (southeast were it had its origins) but it won't die (unless internal combustion engines are outlawed - that's far from happening). That said it has found it's low spot and may eventually recover though not to it's high point.

Glenn81 likes this.
  10. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Same Squad. Oreca did the. Piers in the late 90’s-early 2000’s. Riley did the Vipers early/mid Teens.

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

One year the Vipers finished 1 - 3 OVERALL in the 24 hr Daytona sports car race. That was an Oreca team, no? I have that race on VHS tape somewhere around. I'm going to have to dig it out one of these days.

dodgeismycar likes this.
  12. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Well against my better judgement I tuned in to watch the 500 at 2:30, big mistake. They have turned this sport into a personality cult, looks like the Oscars, not a car race. The old drivers of the fifty’s and sixties must be laughing their butts off. After watching this mess for a hour they finally delayed the race for rain. Big Time Wrestling with cars, what a shame.

Ernesto likes this.
  13. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

And....
    LeMans cars race in the rain on rain tires and wipers and headlights. It’s just getting more and more silly as time goes on...

14. ChargerZ

ChargerZ Active Member

Why do we constantly have posts like this, if you don't like NASCAR why post about it, who really cares that you are stuck in the 60's. Funny how you probably never complained when the cars looked like twisted late models and the drivers all looked like they were trying to be yuppies like Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson, even Dale Sr had that yuppie look. The only thing wrong with Nascar are the worn out fans stuck in 1987 that can't role with the changes. Complain about Nascar but there hasn't been a driver death since Dale Sr. You don't like it don't watch it but I could care less to hear you crying about it

GasAxe, danbek and Doug D like this.
  15. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, many on this forum believe this is the way to show off, to say look at me, that's why you see very few of the older forum members on here anymore, it's quite a shame.

GasAxe likes this.
  16. Doug D

So what is your point? I can easily say NHRA doesn't race in the rain either. If you don't care for NASCAR, then don't watch it.

Seems to me some here do nothing but complain since Dodge doesn't participate in NASCAR. Then write to FCA and express your feelings. NASCAR can't make Dodge participate.

danbek likes this.
  17. Doug D

Get. Over. It. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Oh and NASCAR can't control the weather. Can you?

danbek likes this.
  18. Robert J Sublett

No, but what they can do is take the starting time cues from 1987. Wouldn't hurt them at all. It is central Florida. The 4-5 pm showers are regular. The biggest thing for me NASCAR likes to end at 5-6 pm. Which is supper time and that ruins the end of the race and supper.

19. Doug D

As a former resident of Florida, I agree. I use to live in Tampa and 3-4 pm showers were a regular thing though that was more of a summer thing than winter. Showers can still happen any time of the year. Had NASCAR waved the green flag at 12:30 or 1 pm they might have gotten at least half of the race in before the heavy rains came. At that point it would have been official and no need to come back Monday. Note - the race is official after half of the advertised distance is covered. So once they completed 100 laps of the 200 laps advertised the race would be official and if the rains came and the track cannot be dried, the race is over. Last year it was considered official after the first two stages were complete and that was at times after the halfway mark.

Yeah, I don't like it when the race is not quite over and wife is telling me it's time for dinner.........though lately she's been working a 2nd job on Sunday's so I can have dinner when I want to. :p

I can't remember which track it was but I seem to remember there's one where a noise ordinance comes in to play if it is a night race and there is a delay in the start of the race. The last night race I went to was the fall race at Richmond in 2015. Start of the race was suppose to be 7:30 but light showers hit the track 30 minutes before the green flag. By the time the track was dried and the green flag flew it was almost 8 pm. Race ended around midnight. I do not recall if Richmond has a noise ordinance or not.

20. Robert J Sublett

I think you are right, I think it was Richmond or maybe Hampton GA when they started running those at night. I also think I remember reading that Clay Earls got an exemption to a noise ordinance two weekends a year since the track is in that neighborhood.