Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Javelin, anyone?

Discussion in 'AMC, Eagle, Hudson, Nash, Willys' started by AmbassadorSST, Jan 3, 2018.

?

Dodge Javelin?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This gorgeous "Hellcat" powered AMC Javelin got me thinking would the Javelin nameplate be a no brainer for a future Dodge vehicle?
    [​IMG]
    I think Javelin would be a better choice of name for a midsized RWD/AWD " Alfa Giulia" 4 door sedan/hatch/wagon than Avenger would.

Design wise, they could either borrow from the 68-70 Javelin or the 71-74 Javelin as the Challenger hasn't been hurt in sales with it's retro looks, go modern with the current Dodge design language, or make a hybrid of both old and new design like the Charger does.
    The idea of a twin turbo V-6 Dodge Javelin SRT doesn't sound bad to me.
    What do you all think? ​

Devildodge and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  2. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Yes, Yes, Yes.... Please

AmbassadorSST likes this.
  3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

I think the name Javelin would be great......assuming the company has not allowed the name to escape, as they did with "Duster".

4. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I'd like a reconsideration of some of the AMC autos. By that, I mean the modern retro version of these cars.

AMX would have the odd benefit of the alphabetic sort order putting it toward the top of most lists. A subtle, but still important consideration.

Jeff Teague's AMX/4 * is a real ' Looker ', in my opinion. Son of AMC Designer Creates AMX/4 Prototype Sports Coupe (at http://www.carscoops.com/2009/09/son-of-amc-designer-creates-amx4.html )

But Javelin is, overall, a good name when placed on the appropriate car .

An additional AMC nameplate could be put on a re-skinned Charger ... that being ' The Machine ', or simply : ' Machine ' -

Seen here : amc machine - Google Search (at https://www.google.com/search?q=amc+machine&client=opera&hs=BwG&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=kfTN0ajn30UqhM%253A%252Cocvbh5Hp4xQJsM%252C_&usg=__y7y6bOruhcuCDHWKgh1YbgvtIjM%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwik27LaiL3YAhXpsFQKHVMtD8YQ9QEILTAC#imgrc=kfTN0ajn30UqhM ):

The first examples were Red, White and Blue, but that was only the first year. The rest were painted as normal .

======

* Jeff Teague passed within the last year or so

5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Dodge Javelin AMX SRT T/A R&T Road $ Track Landau Hemi (or would Brougham be more appropriate)

Yeah,!bring back the Javelin name

6. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Dodge already has the Challenger, and Chrysler is probably the wrong make for such a car. If Plymouth is revived, Barracuda would probably be the name used. While I also like the name Javelin, and the renditions that the OP provided, I don't know where it would fit in the current FCA scheme.

JA Cumbo likes this.
  7. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

What about a Chrysler Ambassador?

8. AmbassadorSST

In my scenario the Dodge Javelin would be the mid-sized RWD based on the Alfa Romeo Giulia platform.
    Javelin is a historical nameplate, but it isn't so beloved that it has to be styled a certain way to be non-sacrilegious to the original Javelin's like a Barracuda would have to be.
    I don't see Plymouth being resurrected from the dead anyways, Chrysler would most likely fill the low cost entry level sedan portion of FCA should FCA decide to go that route. Jeep already does it with the Renegade and Compass...CUV wise.
    I think Ambassador would be a great name for a large Chrysler CUV/SUV.
    If I were running FCA...

Dodge:
    Challenger - RWD/AWD Coupe
    Durango - Stelvo based 3rd Row RWD/AWD SUV
    Magnum - Stelvio based/sized RWD/AWD SUV
    Charger - Large RWD/AWD Sedan
    Javelin - Mid-Sized RWD/AWD Sedan/Hatch/Wagon

Chrysler:
    Pacifica - Minivan
    Alpine - small FWD/AWD CUV
    Atlantic - mid-sized FWD/AWD CUV
    Ambassador - large FWD/AWD CUV/SUV "China Jeep"
    Imperial - large RAM based RWD SUV
    300 - RWD/AWD large Sedan

Should the small car market make a comeback either a rebadged "new" Fiat Tipo or Hyundai small car partnership would make a Chrysler 100

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  9. JavelinAMX

That could work.

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

AmbassadorSST likes this.
  11. AmbassadorSST

I forgot about the Marlin...that would go with either Chrysler's supposed new "aquatic" nomenclature or Dodge as a RWD mid-sized nameplate alternative.

I'd have the Chrysler Imperial nameplate be a RAM chassis based uber-luxe SUV Escalade fighter.
    If FCA had the capital (which it doesn't) it could relaunch the Eagle division as an all AWD US Subaru fighter. Clearly whatever Subaru is doing in the US is working.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  12. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

13. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

JavelinAMX likes this.
  14. JavelinAMX

Y'know ... you could choose to spearfish with a Javelin. There's no barb, so you'd have to be good ;)

I particularly liked the Ambassador-based Marlin. The last model as I recall. But it was pretty large ( however, it didn't appear quite as large as the 1966-ish Dodge Charger ).

[​IMG]

[ BTW : I couldn't find a working Allpar-sourced photo of the '67 Marlin. My Allpar search returned a dead link. I tried. ]

#14 JavelinAMX, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    ImperialCrown likes this.
  15. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Maybe like Jaguar? Not sure how well personal luxury would sell under the Dodge name. The Chrysler Cordoba was a huge success, but the Dodge Charger from '75 to '77 wasn't. Maybe that model shouldn't have been called Charger. The Mirada was also a failure from a sales standpoint, though it was a nice car. I think a different division would be preferable, and I like IC's mention of Eagle for that proposal.

A javelin is defined as a spear. It was formerly a weapon, streamlined for accuracy and distance, but is currently sporting equipment.

Yes, an interesting car. Wikipedia describes it as a "personal luxury" vehicle; I saw one at a swap meet in Belton several years ago that had a 3-speed manual column shifter, which I wouldn't classify as luxury. Maybe a 4-speed floor shifter would qualify. I like the slight tailfins. Javelin, Marlin, Ambassador and Matador would be good models within an Eagle Division, so long as they're designed and manufactured right.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  16. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Lancia would be the goto brand for a Subaru competitor. No need to bring back Eagle. Lancia has a storied past, and is ripe for resurrection.

Dodge Javelin does have a certain ring to it, but it has an awkward pause, otherwise it sounds like you are saying the “Dodge Avelin”.

ClayBelt40's likes this.
  17. JavelinAMX

I'm of the opinion that former AMC nameplates could be used in a positive way without existing Brand badges being necessary. Any of said AMC model names could stand alone . No plymouth, no AMC, no problem ... necessarily. The same could go for Barracuda, or any other older model the company might feel could be worth resurrecting, if not already bound to another entity (Duster? being but one example).

Advertising could direct interested customers to CDJR dealers.

FCA would be featured in a slightly more prominent way, but without having an FCA dealership as such.

So, in this case it could be Javelin, alone ( except for trim levels - AMX, SST, Pierre Cardin, Trans Am Victory, Mark Donohue, Go Package - as examples ).

ClayBelt40's likes this.
  18. AmbassadorSST

Eagle sounds "outdoorsy", Lancia sounds the opposite of that...US drivers would mistrust Lancia like they do Fiat cars.

It would sound like Dodge "Avelin" if you didn't know to enunciate your words properly. LOL :D:D:D

19. AmbassadorSST

What would be the point of taking much needed potential cars, cuvs, and suvs away from Dodge, and Chrysler. The whole point in bringing back the AMC nameplates and using them on new Chryslers and Dodges is that their is no real objection by the public in using those former AMC names on non-AMC nameplates.

20. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I agree for the most part. I am wholly for reusing classic nameplates if they are appropriate. Barracuda, and especially ‘Cuda, are sacred though. Those would only be able to used for very specific cars. AMX would fall into the same category for me. You could only use AMX for a very performance oriented car.

Then you start running into the hilariously super long FCA car name scenario. The name would be “Dodge Javelin AMX SRT R/T Road & Track Scat Pack”!

JavelinAMX likes this.