Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Journey reliability - better info

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by mkaresh, Nov 30, 2009.

1. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've had excellent participation by Journey owners. But more remain needed, especially for the 2010, to provide precise results for all model years.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Journey, for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

We've updated the results for the Journey to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year, the Journey scored 95, which is better than earlier but still worse than the average.

We'll have further updates in February and May.

Dodge Journey reliability comparisons

2. dproni

dproni Member

I signed up for the survey a couple weeks ago. Anyone else here with a Journey, especially a '10 should likewise do so. I'm really interested in seeing if the improved commitment to quality touted by Chrysler execs is for real or just a bunch of hot air. Anecdotally, the '10 Journey seems to be an improvement over the '09 but only time will tell. So far my '10 has been solid and my experience flies in the face of just about every negative criticism I have read about this vehicle. However, I'm still in the honeymoon period so my opinion may be tainted.

3. juma1998

juma1998 Moparaholic

I have an 09. Its been pretty dang near perfect. They did the brakes for me under warranty because of my complaint about warppage, I exaggerated on. I'm glad I did because apparently they were having issues with brakes wearing out in the early 10-15k miles because of issues with the pads (word on the street). My upper console was broken by my detailer. That part tooks months and months to get in due to the bankruptcy... But no biggie. And they also did a rapid response thing to my suspension. I love it. It's more reliable than my Neon was on Delivery in 04.

4. dproni

dproni Member

Glad to hear that. I've actually read a lot of good customer remarks on the '09 models, but there's always those bad apples that tend to get a lot of attention. Brakes seem to be the main recurring theme so I'll pay extra attention to them. I plan on making my 12K maintenance visit a little early so I don't get burnt by brakes-out-of-warranty like some customers have experienced.

So far, my '10 has been a totally positive experience. It just feels solid. I can't believe this is the same vehicle that has gotten trashed in some of the reviews I've read.

5. juma1998

juma1998 Moparaholic

Agreed... Honestly, the interior isn't overly inspiring but, they ride so nice, quiet and comfy. Im really excited to see what FIAT has up its sleeve for the MAJOR REFRESH - especially for the interior.

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Overall, we like our '09 Journey SXT. While the interior isn't awe inspiring it's not bad either. It does have some unique features - drink storage underneath the 2nd row feet wells, door storage in all four doors to name a few. As an SXT ours also has the optional 3rd row seating. Yes, it is somewhat cramped for a medium to tall adult/teen but it's not meant to be used all the time or for long trips. In some ways I miss our previous family vehicle, a '00 T&C Ltd AWD. It was a loaded model with heated leather seats, quad seating in the rear, Infinity stereo system, video system (aftermarket), rear heat/AC, twin sliding doors, roof rack, self-leveling shocks (Nivomats), and pretty much power everything (remember power sliding doors and hatches didn't exist yet).

The 3.5L V6 is smooth, has plenty of power and gets decent fuel mileage with the 6 speed automatic. We have observed 18-19 in local driving, over 25 mpg on flat interstate driving, and 23-24 in mountainous areas. Handling is pretty much car-like - slightly better than our T&C.

Except for the brake issue (had to have our fronts done at 22K miles), I have no complaints. Have had a few RRT's done but no major recalls. The Journey is one solidly built vehicle.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Aside from sliding doors it really goes back to the original minivan size and intent.

8. dproni

dproni Member

Way too quiet in this thread, so I'll add some activity...

After signing up for TrueDelta back in November, I'm happy to say that I just posted my second monthly report to them indicating ZERO problems with my '10 Journey SXT in the first ~3000 miles of ownership. It's as good today as the day I drove it off the lot (although not as clean). It's an extremely practical vehicle - not quite as practical as my wife's minivan, but a LOT more fun to drive!

9. juma1998

juma1998 Moparaholic

Agreed! It is WAY TO QUIET! I LOVEEEE posting 0 Problems on TrueDelta too..

10. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated the results for the Journey to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year, the Journey scored 80, which is much better than earlier and about average.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 58, and the percentage of lemons is about 4.

We'll have further updates in May and August. Additional participants always helpful.

11. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Well so far the only thing I can complain about is the rattle coming from the back, I have yet to find. Going to have the dealer look at it when I take in for the first oil change.

Other then that no issues! Love the car! ANd the Nave systems is great and the sirrus traffice system, a must have!

12. oharman

oharman Active Member

We just traded our 175,000 mile 02 Concorde on an SXT 7 seater yesterday. We got a great deal, but it seems there may have been an oil leak near one of the cam sensors. It smells like burning oil when we drive it so it's back to the dealer this week. The belt also looks brand new so I'm hoping that whatever caused the leak has been repaired and they just didn't clean up the engine when they were done.

Other than that issue, I like it so far (at least for the 20 or so miles I've put on it). I plan to keep the third row seats folded down since we're only a 3 person family so the cargo room is nice. I like the ride and handling so far too. I'll be driving it to work tomorrow so that will be a nice shakedown. I'm hoping to get this oil thing resolved though...it does concern me.

If anyone has any idea of what it may be, I would appreciate the input. Otherwise, I'm glad to be a Journey owner in spite of all the negative press.

13. Doug D

Our '09 SXT has almost 31K miles and no oil leaks so I can't help you there. Since you just purchased it I'd take it back to the dealer to have them fix it.

Be advised to watch your brake wear. We had to replace the front pads at 22K miles (pads were down to 2/32's). I managed to get 66K out of my '06 Ram front brakes.

We keep our 3rd row folded down most of the time. There are times where we do use the 3rd row. The salesman was quick to point out it really is a 5+2 seating design, not a 7 seater like our old '00 T&C was. It's not meant to carry 7 all the time - only on occasion.

14. oharman

oharman Active Member

We got it back today and there apparently wasn't a leak, just someone who can't put oil in it without spilling it all over the place. The engine bay is so tight that the oil gets into all kinds of crevices.

I've read about the brake wear so I'll keep an eye on it. Since they wore out so quick, did they replace them under warranty or just shrug and say "they're wear items so it's on you to replace them?"

15. Doug D

[quote name='OJ's Dakota' date='06 April 2010 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1270592523' post='11080799']
    I've read about the brake wear so I'll keep an eye on it. Since they wore out so quick, did they replace them under warranty or just shrug and say "they're wear items so it's on you to replace them?"
    [/quote]

Since we were 10K passed the warranty on brakes, I had to foot the bill. :angry: At least I was able to use $110 dealer dollars from my Visa to offset the $200+ bill. The new pads don't seem to generate as much brake dust so they seem to be wearing better. Supposedly the original pads were not manufactured correctly - the pad material was not compressed correctly during manufacture.

Yeah, the engine bay is tight. It's gonna be a pain to change plugs or even the battery for that matter. :eek:

16. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

With all this talk about brakes, I too have noticed that the front wheels do get full of brake dust! I have to clean the wheels once a week!

17. Doug D

Tell me about it! :pullhair:

18. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated the results for the Journey to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year, the 2009 Journey scored 98, which is worse than average.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 49, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

We'll have further updates in August and November. Additional participants always helpful. Especially need 2010s.

19. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Currently 90 2009s and 18 2010s signed up. With a few more of the latter we could start providing results for it as well.

Car reliability research

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Pretty good for a brand new car. Not as good as it's going to be, I suspect, for the next few. Jeep Grand Cherokee will be interesting but not as significant as it could be, because while new, it's also been worked on by Daimler, Cerberus, AND ... whatever you call the current operation.