Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Journey reliability - better info

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by mkaresh, Nov 30, 2009.

1. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated the results for the Journey to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010 - 98, very small sample size

2009 - 91

Both are worse than average.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 48, and the percentage of lemons is less than one.

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants we could provide more precise results, especially for the 2010 and up.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Dodge Journey reliability comparisons

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

To be fair to Chrysler, 2009 was a horrible year in terms of constant rumors about Cerberus selling out to GM, bankruptcy, etc., etc.

3. Headhunter

Headhunter New Member

Have a 2010 Journey RT AWD and could not be happier. Road trip from Kingston Ontario Canada
    to Oak Island NC through Tropical Storm Nicole and not a problem at all. Gas mileage was
    in the 26 mpg range (its hard to calculate when you convert gallons to liters used) but
    believe very close. Set cruise at 70 MPH and got the best mileage at that speed even
    through the mountains of NY and PA. The one thing I did notice was that I did not
    see another Journey going down and back.

4. dproni

dproni Member

Okay, I've been waiting a few weeks to post this...

Today is the one year anniversary of my purchase of a '10 Journey SXT. I'm pleased to say that 365 days and 18,162 miles later, I have not experienced one single problem with this vehicle! :) Well, except for the CRX that decided to rear-end it a traffic light - twice! :angry:

The vehicle still feels quite new. Solid on the road and not a buzz or rattle. It has broken in quite nicely, too. It gets way better than EPA and even the six-speed and I have learned to understand each other. I no longer complain about it wanting to get to sixth gear too fast. The key is not to baby it, but don't go lead foot either.

Point is, as far as this particular sample of one is concerned, it has been the most reliable car ever.

(Now I probably just jinxed myself...)

5. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated the results for the Journey to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

2010 - 79, about average but close to "worse than average," larger but still small sample size

2009 - 93, worse than average, large sample size

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 49, and the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 3.

Dodge Journey Lemon-odds and Nada-odds

We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants we could provide more precise results, especially for the 2010 and up.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Dodge Journey reliability ratings and comparisons

6. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated the results for the Journey to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since last April until the summer or even fall of this year.

2010 - 46

2009 - 82

Both are "better than average," though at opposite ends of the range.

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 53, and the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 3.

We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants we could provide more precise results, especially for the 2010 and up.

7. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through March 31, 2011.

2010 - 31, better than average

2009 - 52, about average

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 53, and the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 3.

We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants we could provide more precise results, especially for the 2010 and up.

8. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated the results for the Journey (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

2010 - 20, better than average

2009 - 70, about average

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 55, and the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 4.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

Especially need more 2011s and 2012s.

9. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated the our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through December 31, 2011.

2010 - 30, better than average

2009 - 85, about average

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 48, and the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 8.
    Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants we could provide more precise results, especially for the 2010 and up.

10. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated the our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through June 30, 2012.

2010 - 49, about average

2009 - 66, about average

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 67, and the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 10.

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more owners involved we could provide more precise results and cover all model years. People have asked me about the redesigned 2011+.

11. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated the our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

2010 - 56, about average

2009 - 59, about average

In the case of the 2009 Journey, the percentage with no repairs is about 67, and the percentage with 3+ repair trips is about 7.

We'll have further updates in February and May. With more owners involved we could provide more precise results, especially for the 2010 and up.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

12. bmwjohn9

bmwjohn9 New Member

well, we rented a current model for 3? weeks at work and almost everybody that got in it was unable to find the rear hatch latch on the far right side. About 50 of 65 could not figure it out. I assume an owner would quickly figure it out. I don't know the price range but we rented a Ford Explorer? for 2 weeks and it was a much better vehicle in all respects. Journey ride is much worse over same roads. Around same mileage 12k? Same price range? don't know. Again, this is the current version. Just FYI.

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

You're kidding right? Must be some pretty lame people. Even before I bought mine I found the rear hatch latch in less than 5 seconds when I was looking at a model on the showroom floor.

To be fair, the Explorer is not in the same class (SUV vs crossover). We have a 2010 SXT and previously had a 2009 SXT and both rode fine.

Fuel mileage - we pretty much get what the EPA ratings are. The 2009/2010 with the 3.5L/6 speed are rated 16 city / 23 hwy. Typically we average around 18 mpg in local driving and 24-26 on the highway. YMMV.

14. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

I usually drive the '05 Caravan (latch in the middle), so I often miss the rear latch on the fist try.... but to say "could not figure it out" would be a bit of a stretch. I believe that the newer ('08+) Caravans also have it off-centre.

15. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Rolled 20K miles and ZERO problems so far. '12 Journey 2.4 SXT

16. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

I have a 2010 R/T and just love the thing.
    Everything but the Khumo tires..........30,000 miles on them and they are about bald. (my JK Wrangler with the Goodyears went 80,000+ and I could still see the treads)

17. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agree. The Khumo's just don't last. Managed to make mine last to 42K miles. Has Firestone Affinity's now.

18. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

I bought my 2010 in Nov 2012 with 31000 km on it; the tires look to be in good shape, but they may not be original.

I put snow tires on for the winter, and the previous owner might have as well.

19. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

2010 Journey: 63, moderate
    2009 Journey: 44, moderate

We'll have further updates in August and in November. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, including the descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help improve this information:

20. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013. (Another source is about 14 months behind.)

2010 Journey: 59, moderate
    2009 Journey: 32, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2009 Journey: 78, < 1

We'll have further updates in November and February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help: