Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Journey reliability - better info

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by mkaresh, Nov 30, 2009.

1. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through September 30, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010 Journey: 66, moderate
    2009 Journey: 36, low

We'll have further updates in February and in May. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Dodge Journey reliability ratings and comparisons

2. tbrenan

tbrenan New Member

we have a 2011 R/T AWD currently 80K, the only real problem was the brakes total replacement led to numerous return visits ending in leaving it fro a week--could not get a hard pedal, dealr gave us a rental for a week even when we told them of our vacation plans all NO charge---wrote Dodge to commend the dealer.

BUT from the start the transmission--from time to tie bangs when shifting- when first moving , the good old day of remove and inspect are gone March 2015 warranty expires buy new or extend we lilke the vehilce gas mileage sucks, but it sure drives nice onthe highway we travel on I5 a lot and usually in excess of 70 mph

hard to go back in post and correct spelling why?

3. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

tbrenan, we've got an 11 R/T AWD as well and I can attest to the lousy gas mileage. My 08 Magnum V6 gets better mileage, and that's a beast of a car.

4. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

My mother just bought her 2nd Journey. She uses it for work, putting nearly 60K on the first one in under 3 years driving all over Texas. No complaints. (Buying a second, basically identical car is a good indicator of that.) Good fuel economy, only scheduled maintenance and the recall associated with the cylinder head.

She loves them, and recommends them to everyone who asks.

5. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through December 31, 2013.

2013 Journey: 17, low, small sample size
    2010 Journey: 41, moderate, small sample size
    2009 Journey: 48, moderate

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see the repairs behind these stats, and to sign up to help improve this information:

6. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Our reliability stats for the Journey now include owner experiences through March 31, 2014, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

2013 Journey: 33, moderate, small sample size
    2010 Journey: 38, low
    2009 Journey: 42, low

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

7. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

2013 Journey: 33, moderate, small sample size
    2010 Journey: 43, moderate
    2009 Journey: 49, moderate

Next updates in November and in February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

8. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

2013 Journey: 38, moderate, small sample size
    2010 Journey: 32, low, small sample size
    2009 Journey: 56, moderate

Additional participants always helpful (especially if you see "small sample size" next to the year, or no stat at all).

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):

9. LUNAT1C

LUNAT1C New Member

I bought my 2014 Journey R/T Rallye AWD May 2014 used (previous owner bought it as a gift for his wife, and she made him trade it a month later for a higher content Grand Cherokee, and I got it for almost $7k off MSRP with 2086 miles on the ODO). So far I love it, and I'm surprised at how much it has grown on me since purchasing it. It replaced my 2007 Charger R/T with the Road & Track sport package, as I needed something with a hatch for my retriever and to support my occasional need for extra cargo space (I once transported a new push power in the backseat of my Charger... not an experience I want to repeat... I bought a new large outdoor gas grille the weekend after getting the Journey and adored all the space I had back there!). I had gone to the dealer to look at used 2012+ Grand Cherokees, and wound up considering a Journey to be a better deal. Around 2018/2019 I'll likely replace this one with a Grand Cherokee or Journey being produced at that time (SRT Journey, please!)

The car currently sits near 9500 miles and so far I have had zero issues requiring a trip to the dealer. It has been back to the dealer once for its first oil change when it asked for it at 8200 miles.

It has its quirks. Common to Journeys equipped with the 6-speed transaxle is an occasional jolt when shifting from Park or Reverse into Drive. Pausing in neutral for a few seconds solves that. The headlights are also rather dim. I suppose that is an issue with all Blacktop, Rallye, and Crossroad Journey's, as they have headlights with blackened inner bezels. I'll be upgrading to either HIRs or HIDs eventually to solve that. Fuel economy could be better around town, as I get 15-16 MPG with 100% town driving (not city, just town with no interstate). Pure interstate, I can reliably get 27-28, and have gotten 30+ if I keep to 65 MPH. Not bad at all for a car-based CUV.

Beyond that, no issues in the first 8 months, 7500 miles of ownership. I assume the first 2000 miles put on by the previous owner and the dealer were equally trouble-free. It will be one year old next month from production, and one year on the road as of March 20th, 2015.

We also have a 2014 Journey SXT Plus Blacktop, FWD 2.4L. That one has mostly been trouble free, though the 8.4" touchscreen has blanked out once or twice. The screen stayed off and radio did not work when we tried to use that vehicle to jumpstart another. It hasn't returned, and using my R/T with an identical radio and screen to perform that jump resulted in no issues. I think it was a fluke. That Journey is one year old from production today, one year in service in March/April.

10. hmk123

Level III Supporter

We now have 72k miles on our 2009 SE. In September last year the ECU broke and was replaced under the emissions warranty. This is my daily driver. I just added UConnect. This car has also taught me that the press always blows things out of proportion. They usually trashed the Journey where I think it is actually a very nice ride!

11. LUNAT1C

LUNAT1C New Member

Nowadays the biggest complaint against Journey is for the ancient 2.4L and 4-speed transaxle. If you get the Pentastar upgrade, then the worst you'll experience is what I posted above with the 6-speed being a little jerky shifting into Drive. I rolled 9800 miles last night a few blocks from my house... no issues yet.

12. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

I am a very proud owner of a 2013 Journey.No issues at 19000 miles.
    My only regret was getting the 2.4.
    No complaints but the 2.4 can be noisy.
    My daughter just traded her 2013
    Ford Focus in for a 2015 Journey.

13. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We've updated our reliability stats for the Journey to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015. Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2013 Journey: 44, moderate, small sample size
    2012 Journey: 53, moderate, very small sample size
    2010 Journey: 69, moderate, small sample size
    2009 Journey: 86, high

Additional participants are needed to provide precise stats for all model years.

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Dave Z likes this.
  14. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Just subscribed to TrueDelta. Going to start recording all these things. Journey just came back from the shop - both front brake rotors were warped and had to be replaced.

15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Haven't had any warpage on either of the Journey's I've owned (2009 & 2010). The '09 did have to have the front pads replaced at only 22K miles. Chrysler eventually reimbursed me in full. After that the brake dust was far less. On the '10 I replaced the pads (front & rear) with ceramics. Hardly any dust and no warpage. In 2009 it was a supplier issues (brake pads). The pads were not manufactured correctly (not enough compression) and the pads wore out fast - anyone who had an early Journey ('09 & some '10's) experienced a lot of brake dust and in some cases warped rotors. FWIW - the '10 Journey we have has over 108K miles now.