AF: Dodge: Liberty and the Pursuit of Horsepower. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge: Liberty and the Pursuit of Horsepower.

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by ImperialCrown, Jul 3, 2020.

1. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

danbek, GLHS60 and Jason E like this.
  2. Jason E

Jason E Active Member

I did too...I think Dodge is on the right path. 3 distinct products with 3 distinct missions.

I would love to see the products continue and refreshed sooner or later, and I think Dodge could benefit from a mid sized RWD performance sedan as well, with a performance crossover variant.

I am glad the Journey and Caravan are going away...they're beyond stale and do more brand image harm than anything else.

Chris mopar, ScramFan and Devildodge like this.
  3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

They do more good then bad, those 2 vehicles didn't do anything to the brand imagine in fact the quality of fca does more bad to the brand then 2 cars

purplepassengerpete likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The quality which appears to (hopefully) be heading in the right direction if the JD Power results are anything to go by. It'll be interesting to see how the discontinuation of the Journey and Grand Caravan affects that rating.

As far as the rest, I disagree with you. The Journey and Grand Caravan were severely outdated. Selling them in the same showroom as a nicely equipped Charger, Challenger, or Durango was an embarrassment.

vipergts2207 and Chris mopar like this.
  5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Quality wont change much since everything is older then time at this point. Someone looking at a charger, challenger, or even a durango isn't gonna be swayed because of the Journey and GC. The quality and reliability have a way higher chance of swaying a buyer of those vehicle and lets be honest it's still not gonna stop someone from buying them because they have a v8. All three of those cars are also outdated currently. The Durango is the best standing one because of the refresh it's getting but even then the exterior is showing it's age just like the other two

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The exterior may look the same as it did, but every SUV looks like that...

danbek likes this.
  7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

When I was last at my dealership (state inspection for my '06 Ram 1500) last November, I don't recall any Journeys or Caravans on the lot. At least they weren't out front. It was all Rams, Jeeps, Challengers and Chargers. If there were any, they were "hidden" in the back.

8. HEMI345

HEMI345 Active Member

How many Lambo's, Ferraris, or Porsches can haul 7 people and smoke most others vehicles on the road at the same time :D

danbek and Chris mopar like this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Given the number of 2018 Durango SRTs sitting unsold, will the even more expensive one sell better?

HotCarNut, Zagnut27 and CDJSalesPro like this.
  10. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

As of now I only see 17 unsold new 2018 Durangos. However, your point does stand regarding the SRTs because there were a lot of new 2018s sitting on dealer lots well into 2019.

I think the inclusion of SRT products with the power dollar discounts helped move units, but it was a bit too late for the 2018s.

I got my 2018 Durango SRT in October of last year. I bought it used because the SRT valuations work in such a weird way that there is a huge drop off after the first year, then its relatively flat. There is a good chance I may only lose a couple thousand if I sell it in within 3 years.

Segue over. I believe the Hellcat will sell every unit. It will likely be a limited run. The only issue I see is if dealers try to charge Trackhawk level markups. Almost every dealer nearby that tried that ended up selling them under MSRP many months later.

HotCarNut, Dave Z and Ryan like this.
  11. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Agreed. The Explorer is all new, and RWD, but I would say it doesn’t look extremely dissimilar to the previous one, especially to a less discerning eye.

12. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

This was the first time for me to see Liberty & the Pursuit of Horsepower. Definitely pretty awesome. Worth watching for anyone who hasn't yet seen it!

I especially liked the reference to Dodge's history. That John and Horace who once worked for Ford, left that company because they knew they could build and offer the public a superior automobile. Dodge, back in it's early years, really did have an outstanding reputation as a very well-built automobile.