Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dodge magnum

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by wagonwep, May 7, 2016.

1. wagonwep

wagonwep New Member

has anyone confirmed that the magnum is coming in 2017?

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  2. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

No. though there were rumors several years ago, nothing more has surfaced. To my knowledge, there are no plans for a Magnum, at all.

MoparDanno likes this.
  3. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

MoparJoe likes this.
  4. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

The link doesn't appear to work can you post the picture?

5. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I have wished for a new Magnum for years, but Chrysler is uninterested in building the cars I would like to purchase, so I'm keeping my '05. BTW, saw a Magnum with a 300 front clip the other day and I nearly drove off the road while looking at it,LOL. I would LOVE a new 300 Estate!

Judas Shuttlesworth and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. suzq044

When I get home, I can re host it

7. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

If the RWD 300 goes away, replace it with the Magnum, make up for the lost production.

8. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

All I know is it is one of the hottest selling used cars.

MoparJoe likes this.
  9. suzq044

10. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Active Member

That front clip fits the wagon real well

11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Hah! this rumor pops up some much that all the chopped up images on Facebook finally had to change from "2016 Magnum is coming' to "2017 Magnum is coming".

I have a Magnum, I like it, it serves a purpose for me. But I doubt I'd buy a new one if it was offered.

12. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

I was still in sales when the Magnum was dropped.. Customers threw a fit over it being discontinued.. They did the same thing when the Pacifica was dropped. People keep hoping for the cars that were done right to come back. Be careful, they may put the Magnum name on something else.

UN4GTBL, Mopartial and valiant67 like this.
  13. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Active Member

Wow! Now that is HAWT!!!! We all know this wouldn't sell as strong as the Charger, maybe even not as much as the Challenger or 300 but even as 'gravy sales' how could FCA go wrong by cranking this out?

freshforged, UN4GTBL and Jeepnut like this.
  14. mentalicca

Level III Supporter

The simple answer is due to the economies of scale.

Very basically, if they know they need to sell 50,000 (arbitrarily) to break even, and their research shows they will likely only sell 35,000, it won't happen.

Another similar reason could be, maybe they think they can hit that target, but there is no plant capacity to support it. If they can only support 20,000 additional units, it would be better spent on producing more vehicles that would improve margin (300/Charger/Challenger, and special editions of each).

It could be a combination of those. There could also be other factors at play too (I will let those more in the know explain the actual reason this won't happen).

Let me ask you this, with the Durango getting more performance chops (SRT variants coming soon), would this satisfy the majority of customers who want the Magnum? There may still yet be other performance CUVs in the Dodge lineup as well, how many would those take away from Magnum purchases?

valiant67 likes this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I have one of each (a Durango and a Magnum). Although I expect any new Magnum would move away from the station wagon model (and probably sell better than the original Magnum did). My thoughts, 2007 Dodge Magnum police Hemi vs. 2015 Durango R/T:
    Magnum wins the fun-to-drive award. It's just a lot more fun on the twisty mountain roads I drive every day. I like the driving position of a car, I know others like to sit up higher in an SUV. The Durango is still nice to drive, but the nod goes to Magnum.
    Durango win the practicality award. At least there is some ground clearance and visibility and a nice tow rating. And a cargo area that's not chopped down due to Magnum's sloped rear roof profile.

somber and hmk123 like this.
  16. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Active Member

One way to mitigate it would be to limit the 'Magnum 2.0' to the Hemi only. They had a solid take rate on the Hemi anyway, and any CUV would pretty much be a better family car than the base Magnums anyway. The Magnum is a straight up muscle car when properly equipped. It just so happens that its also a practical everyday car also and is pretty useful. Just like before, I think the right way to do it would be to Dodge up a long roofed 300 and call it a day. It would look right, cost relatively little to develop and certify that way.

You raise an interesting question though by bringing up the Durango. It sort of IS the successor to the Magnum. Its more truck like than any CUV (at least the fwd based ones) but falls short of being a full on sports utility vehicle in the vein of first 3 generations of Grand Cherokee and first 2 generations of Durango. No doubt it and the GC hit a sweet spot between the soft and gentle CUVs and full on truck Sports utilities by blending car and truck pretty evenly. It truly is a well rounded SUV that way. However Id argue that the original Magnum could be called a CUV in that it offered all weather capabilities (in AWD form), a decent tow capacity, plenty of utility and yet car like comfort, ride, handling and performance. I see more chance of the Durango and Magnum competing for customers than any performance CUV. Both are beefy, burly, take no prisoners vehicles. CUVs are basically soccer mom cars. Theyre all kind and gentle...useful but boring and soft. Adding a pulse to that might broaden the appeal but it wont win over someone who wants a muscle car or a truck. JMO.

17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Find Magnums quite unique. Less than 30 SRT8s on AutoTrader. I am planning to keep mine for a long time and am keeping miles low (31k). IMHO they still have a lot of presence on the road.

freshforged, somber, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Perhaps Magnum will be the name for the CUV that takes the place of Journey?

19. DCAutoWorker

DCAutoWorker Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: Close

Zagnut27 and MoparJoe like this.
  20. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Dodge (Stelvio) Magnum

Zagnut27 likes this.