AF: Dodge Makes Top 10 in Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Ranking | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Makes Top 10 in Consumer Reports Annual Reliability Ranking

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by 1999 White C5 Coupe, Nov 14, 2019.

1. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Dodge could take some of this advise. A number of Durango owners have been complaining about water in the racetrack rear lighting which eventually ruins it . I love this feature but not if they cannot make it reliable . Just to replace this rear light is over $1000 . I'm hoping they are wrong about the Durango seeing I just bought a 2020 Durango .

Bearhawke likes this.
  2. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

In defence of at least Mopar; 50 years ago, Chrysler products in general were reliable by the standards of their day. CR Recommended the Dart and Valiant, especially with the 225 Slant Six and AT, for almost all of that platform's production run. A body drum brakes sucked but, a trade off for bulletproof drivetrains. :)

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Yes, I see Durango’s with one side out where the racetrack lights dip on the lower side. Darts seem to have the same or worse. I haven’t noticed Chargers with the issue.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

It wasn't just the compacts. The "B" bodied cars were recommended several times, especially after they began offering the "5 & 50" warranty several years before any of the other companies.

jerseyjoe and Bearhawke like this.
  5. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I've read the same on-line, so I watch my '14 like a hawk and so far no leaks after 100K. Trust me its been in torrential rain downpours, and I wash her with a pressure washer. It seems the QC is hit or miss on them. My bother-in-law had this issue with his Honda van and we simply drilled a small hole in the bottom so it drained. Problem solved.

UN4GTBL and Donte Lindsey like this.
  6. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Well I hope I have your luck with it . So far I really like the vehicle and it seems the initial quality is there . I don't like having to shut off the stupid stop/start feature every time I start the car . . Also not real keen the way they do the headlights on the current gen where they are using a single bulb halogen and use a shutter type system where it restricts the light on the bulb for low beam and opens it up for high beam , seems unnecessarily complex and something else to go wrong . This gives it a hard cutoff in the light pattern and isnt as good as it should be for low beam . High beam is almost acceptable . Wish they would have kept the 4 headlight setup of the 11-14 years .

7. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

Here is an option to permanently disable the stop/start system.
    Jeep-Dodge-Chrysler Products (at https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html )

8. Chase300

Hmmm, wasn't aware of that on the lights...but can't say I've had any issues with single bulb lights in the past. I have the HID's in my '14 which are certainly better than the Halogen on low beam, but the current LED driving lights are world's better than the small halogen driving lights I have in my '14. So that is a big improvement that was made to the lights.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The single bulb with a shutter has been around for a few years on several cars I've had. It works good for a low beam because it cuts the top of the beam - the part which is most likely to cause problems with blinding other drivers.
    I waited until dark and parked several feet in front of the garage door and watched the cut off between low and high beams. I think it works well.

UN4GTBL and Doug D like this.
  10. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

That is awesome top ten is great news!

11. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

'The move up was attributed to above-average reliability ratings for the Challenger and Grand Caravan."

Yes those outdated embarrassing Daimler era dinosaurs only sold because there's lots of cash on the hood thangs. /sarc.

Good.

Skeptical about the MINI moving into the Top Ten. Check back next year.

Donte Lindsey and gforce2002 like this.
  12. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Ironically millions of those side saddle trucks built over 20 years drove billions of miles with minimal incidents as well. Despised Dateline for years for that. X times x times x extrapolate out to a probability of this happening to YOU...... perhaps in 100,000 years.

Get those bottle rockets ready and make. this. work.

Now they only do true crime, which they're able to do quite well.

80s style sensational ambush journalism ? Not so much

13. Chase300

FCA had 2 on C&D 10 best list...Ram 1500 and Gladiator....Ford? Nada.

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Not to mention how many big rigs have saddle tanks.

GasAxe, Bearhawke and Tony K like this.
  15. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

No GINGER ALE...lol? C'mon maaa'an...lol!

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  16. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Disk brakes were avable on A bodys since 1966.

17. MarineViper

MarineViper Moderator

His point is that Chrysler regularly has used price cutting on its lower trims that have always resulted in a negative image. Many loved the slant six darts but hated the drum brakes that were standard on them. We’re drum brakes really cheaper than disc when they had more parts and proven to be less effective and were already available?? No, but marketing made the decision to make them optional at a premium for “more money”.

Much like today, the 2019 ram was not a top safety pick because the headlights on lower trims stink. But for 2020 they now come standard with better headlights and earned the top safety pick.

Tony K, Bearhawke and GasAxe like this.
  18. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I've always been told that disks cost more to make then drum....I don't know how, drums have to assembeled by hand with alot mopre parts.

tlc likes this.
  19. Bearhawke

Discs were a dealer installed option for 1965, then become a factory feature starting 1966. My 1967 Dodge Dart 4 door sedan; it had said Kelsey-Hayes discs as well as the HD suspension (front swaybar, etc).

20. Bearhawke

Note that the 1972 down discs on at least USA/Canadian/Australian A bodies used the 4 piston Kelsey-Hayes design; starting 1973, Chrysler went with single piston calipers. One outler was South Africa; their 1971 on down A bodies; despite being all but identical to concurrent models here, aside from being RHD, they used an odd double piston disc design.