Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

1. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

I just read an article by Steve Cole Smith from The Drive.
    He stated SM may be ready to return to racing??
    I have no idea what the Drive is ,blog or newsletter,but the article is interesting .

danbek likes this.
  2. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Will have to see how this pans out, would interject NASCAR with a boost, which it sorely needs, but there would also need to be changes made to make the cars more manufacturer specific

boblonben likes this.
  3. moparbob

moparbob Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
    Level 2 Supporter

Chrysler eyes return to NASCAR racing

Sergio meet's with Jim France to discuss Dodge's return to NASCAR! Whether this results in an actual team to be created is still in the air. It's nice to know Sergio now has seen the light after many years of saying how much he hates NASCAR when he bought Chrysler. One question remains, does returning to NASCAR come at the expense of pulling out of NHRA??? Seems to me FCA isn't ready to commit to more than one racing series? With Viper gone & out of IMSA as well & the Trans Am Series not being a big player for FCA, NASCAR seems to be their only option to race here in the U.S.

Plenty of questions still are left unanswered. Still need to be realistic. Only time will tell how serious Sergio REALLY is about any return.

4. dodgeismycar

Dear Santa,
    I want Dodge to return to NASCAR.
    See you soon.

5. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

Just read this story on AutoWeek online. Hard to believe FCA could afford to get back in again, as it is certainly a very costly sport. But, having said that, would most certainly love to see it happen. It does amount to one form of advertising. And, we certainly know that Dodge has some hot cars, in the Charger and Challenger.

Rampart66 and boblonben like this.
  6. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

I bet there is fire with this smoke this time. I had a private discussion with a member of this forum who has since passed, and he told me then that if he had to bet he would guess Dodge would come back if and when Penske could lead the effort. It would explain the other company's effort to add Stewart-Haas, and frankly SHR's willingness to leave their comfy situation. Have heard rumors out of the Petty camp that they are looking to leave their current situation as well and it almost landed them in court. Add to this that we have had branded Dodges in Xfinity racing even though it was not official it makes the smoke a little thicker.

boblonben likes this.
  7. dodgeismycar

I am most interested in hearing about Jack Rouschs diminished role with Ford.
    Opportunity , maybe.
    But this rumor may have legs given NASCAR S new sponsor and their ability to charge up the racing fans and bring in a new and younger fan base.
    That maybe thats the thing SM is looking forward too.

8. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

Yes, I too have noticed at least one, or two or three Dodges entered and running in the NASCAR Xfinity series.

9. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I would love to see this, but at today's cost level you can understand why there has not been consistent support. At least Chrysler sells cars that in spirit are true to the NASCAR tradition, such as it is. In contrast to the utterly boring stuff Toyota sells, while they've been in NASCAR a long time. It still gives me a nauseous feeling when I see a Toyota Camry pace car at NASCAR races. All roaring 4 cylinders of it too. Sumthin', just ain't right there.....

Volunteer and Dodgeguy1961 like this.
  10. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

At first, the official line was "just using stuff up" but it's been five years, that excuse only lasts so long.

Volunteer likes this.
  11. DrMark

DrMark Member

Does my brain see the business case for it to happen? I'm not so sure.

Does my heart want it to happen? Oh yeah.

FreeLantz and Beentherebefore like this.
  12. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

To fund this Nascar adventure, FCA is going to sell off JEEP to the huge industrial based Chinese Conglomerate, Whatwentwong.

Volunteer, ClayBelt40's and moparbob like this.
  13. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

This news makes me happy. Just saw the article and came here for update. This would be a wonderful start to a new year.

Dodgeguy1961 likes this.
  14. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Dumb - Nascar attendance is down and you know this expenditure is going to come from the Dodge marketing budget which would get far more traction spent elsewhere.

Lee N. Burns and npaladin2000 like this.
  15. dodgeismycar

The site CupScene is repeating the statement that Sergio is ready and has gone as far as speaking with Jim France about the return.
    Someone check the calendar because it's not April 1 is it?
    Mike, anyone???????

16. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

Possibly down because many are tired of seeing certain appliances go around the track? NASCAR is not on my watch list anymore, starting when Dodge left the scene. Just don't care about it, period. Get some competitive Dodges out there, then yes, I'll watch again. Until that happens, not watching.

17. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I'd love to see this happen! Please Santa! My heart skipped a few beats there for a minute.:)

18. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1
    Level 2 Supporter

You do realize that NASCAR has nothing to do with existing cars? They have their own design that manufacturers then paint and sticker to look like their own cars. It's really a terrible waste of money these days.

19. hemi_magnum

hemi_magnum Well-Known Member

And suddenly there's life in this section again, as well as various other mediums. That's no coincidence. Folks get excited about the idea of Dodge in motorsports.

Five years ago I said wait five years for FCA to make Penske the offer they should have made back then. Maybe I wasn't too far off, after all.

Really hope that this develops into something more than just words. It's time.

It will be interesting to see how any of this goes forward, given the apparent newfound interest from the very top.

They'll need an ambitious plan beyond the famous 500 Days, to say the least. Maybe grassroots-style Trucks or Xfinity to start and build a proper foundation from there. Safe bet would be on Petty leading any effort, just "because." Maybe Penske will have had enough "benchmarking" with SHR and decide to come back home.

From Motorsport.com (run by former Dodge PR Scott Sebastian)
    (Interesting to note he doesn't seem to mention Brian France...)

P.S. Nice to see you back, MoparBob, and others.

#19 hemi_magnum, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    moparbob and RogerDodger8508 like this.
  20. hemi_magnum

hemi_magnum Well-Known Member

Not a day passes by that I don't stare at this beauty:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]