AF: Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.? | Page 126 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdh1776

mdh1776 Well-Known Member

People say that NASCAR lacks personalities, and then call out Kyle Busch for being himself. He's good for the sport, no matter if you like him or hate him. And the linked quote is 100% right in my eyes. If you don't like that sort of beating and banging racing for the win, why bother watching? Isn't that what people are missing? Both Earnhardt/Labonte Bristol finishes are considered classics by fans. We get another similar finish, and people want to cry about it because Kyle Busch was involved. A good race and a hard fought finish like we had Sunday is exactly what this sport needs. The only thing that would make it better in my eyes is if both of them had been driving Challengers.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

KB is not among my favorite drivers, but I have always respected his skills as a driver. He does make a good point in his tweet. In the end it won't matter what he does as there will always be someone not happy with what he does, says, doesn't say or how he races.

Mopar77, Beentherebefore and mdh1776 like this.
  3. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

No complaints from me during the aero wars. 'Course it would have been weird if I did since I hadn't been conceived yet.:p I don't recall any wizened fans bemoaning how terrible it was watching low volume production cars race either.:rolleyes: I'm not so naïve to think the current and future engines used in NASCAR are anything but OEM in name only, much like the body. It doesn't mean that the "spec" motor can't be worked over by the respective brands, then labeled as a Hemi, LS, or Coyote. It's the brand advertising that counts just like how the current generation of "Hemi" engines do not actually have a true hemi design.

mdh1776 likes this.
  4. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. Which type of champion would most people like to see in NASCAR; Jeff Gordon (the good), Dale Earnhardt (the bad), or Jimmie Johnson (the sanitized)?

mdh1776 likes this.
  5. mdh1776

mdh1776 Well-Known Member

Happy Fourth of July to all of you, American or not.

[​IMG]

Jerry Simcik, DC-93 and GasAxe like this.
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

8. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

It all boils down to money and how much each manufacturer would want to invest in their engines to win. Look at Formula 1.....you have Mercedes and Ferrari and then everybody else. The same thing could happen to NASCAR. Who is willing to invest the most to win? And if you have one manufacturer willing to win at all costs how do you stop them from doing that to make the competition equal?? Racing is all about progress..............nobody races to be equal to the other guys on the track. We only remember the winner.............

AvengerGuy, DC-93 and mdh1776 like this.
  9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

That was the impetus for Nascar in the beginning but they learned (particularly from the boycott by the Chrysler fans after Nascar banned the Hemis for 1965) early on that p*$$ing off the fans of any one brand would not fill their grandstands so "parity" became their bible. No one manufacturer will be allowed to dominate and thus risk the losing of interest of the fans of the other participating brands. That is not to say that Nascar is beyond throwing a few extra crumbs to their favored house brand ("Brand C") but the fans of the other brands must always feel that their favorite at least has a chance of pulling off a win. A company would have to invest enough to be able to competently race with the others but Nascar's "parity" environment would actually cap the investment of time and $$$ needed. It would basically be wasted effort. No one brand will be allowed to spend and innovate and then run off & hide from the others. F-1 rules actually allow for some innovation. I believe that the Nascar "box" is a lot tighter.

#2509 Beentherebefore, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    dodgeismycar likes this.
  10. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Here's Number 4 on the list.

4. Fewer people love cars. Putting too much weight on the particular foibles of Nascar may be a mistake given that Formula One auto racing has been contending with a similar decline in interest. This hasn't really been brought up in any of my Nascar-related readings, but I wonder if it's just that the great love affair with cars that consumed the U.S. and other affluent countries in the post-World War II decades has given way to a different sort of relationship in which most people simply rely on their (increasingly reliable) vehicles without thinking about them, and only a tiny minority do the sort of tinkering and driving for pleasure that was once common. Autoshop classes have become rare, generally less-fun-to-drive pickups and sport utility vehicles outsell cars by a wide margin in the U.S., and a growing percentage of Americans never even bother to get driver's licenses. Watching cars drive around in circles for hours is always going to be an acquired taste, but people are going to be far more likely to acquire it if they actually care about cars in the first place.

Simply stated, peoples tastes change. Lot's of kids can't even change their oil these days, that's if they even have a car!

AvengerGuy likes this.
  11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I would mock the whole concept of hail-your-ride & self driving cars which you don't own and could care less what brand you are riding in except Mrs BTB keeps reminding me that our time may soon come when that may be the only way we can still get around (due to age, not preference). I still see a lot of young people (neighbors, family friends etc) still taking pride in owning and driving a particular brand of car. I will concede the point that there are also a fair number of them that would just as well be ferried around (with or without an actual driver) as long as they don't have to look up from their cell-phone screens.

12. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

F1 is the poster child for NO parity at all. If F1 was run by NASCAR, MB would have certainly been penalized with some handicap to even the field. F1 is truly follow the leader past the first turn on the first lap.Manufactures still pump many millions into F1 to run back in the pack. Go Haas!

13. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

I pick reason #4 as having the biggest effect, but not for the exact reasons listed.

It's not that they don't love cars, it's that they don't love what cars have become. Cars are no longer the ticket to freedom and independence. They are no longer possessions you can modify and personalize unless you want to go to jail. They no longer offer a wide selection of colors and body styles, and in profile and in the option book they all look too much the same.

No longer can you buy a ten-year-old junker and hotrod it without making it exactly like it came from the factory with every original tube, valve, sensor, filter and regulator working like new.

The feds and the states have regulated the love out of owning wheels for fun and as a base to be create beauty and performance...unless your income allows you to purchase licensed and approved power and "individuality" from the factory.

Yes, new cars are efficient, safe, clean and reliable, but they are expensive, mostly bland, and definitely not easy to love. Like when choosing a mate, don't expect them to change for you. What you see is what you get and they are all far too complicated, yet mostly too much the same.

RonGD, Doug D and mdh1776 like this.
  14. RonGD

RonGD Member

Point #4 is dead on. To me, a majority of new drivers treat their vehicle as an appliance instead of turning it into a work of art, boy racer machine, trail riding rough neck, cayon carver, etc. You get the point. I even treat my FD 2 patriot like it's something special because that's the way I came up. Turning my patriot into something that I want it to be, to reflect, to go over and thru, that's fun in my world

15. Mopar77

Mopar77 Active Member

16. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

It was announced today that Toyota intends to bring the Toyota Supra nameplate to the NASCAR Xfinity Series.

Source

Would be nice to have Dodge back someday.

17. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Nascar + Toyota = True Love.

Perhaps Reason #5 why folks are leaving...

GaryS likes this.
  18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Camry will still be used in the Cup series.

19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Damn good looking race car. I'm surprised that it passes the Nascar "standard" template.

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  20. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

It won't. Imagine the current camry with different front/rear stickers and a slightly different front facia.
    The car will have to be in the nascar tunnel to make sure it has the same lift and drag as the other cars.
    It's been years since I have even SEEN a Supra around here. I see more old black #3 Monte Carlos! lol...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.