AF: Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.? | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

I love the responses as they range from not a snowballs chance in he&* to Awesome.
    This shows that there are some very strong feelings about a Dodge in racing.
    I think that the new sponsor will help bring a younger fan and that is just what the company needs.
    I hope that all these positive responses make SM loosen the purse strings.
    The question that will be interesting will be who will be the standard-bearer for Dodge.

Beentherebefore and hemi_magnum like this.
  2. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

GRC is small potatoes. Dodge couldn't even afford to stay in that. How are they going to afford Nascar? Sergio ALWAYS does this. He winds people up. I personally think he is trying to distract people and the media from the fact that the 200 ends production this week. They have no compact or midsize sedans in the market right now. They are burning to cash to get Alfa here. The Guila isn't even here yet...and they are going to enter Nascar? Keep Dreaming.

valiant67 likes this.
  3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Everyone already knows the 200 production ended. Hell most think it ended when darts did FYI. Grc is one of those race series with good intentions but executed horribly. I think it's best they pulled out of that as it's just a disaster of a sport at this point and seems like it always will be. You used to always hear about it and now there's no one talking about it

4. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

Dodge has never had a huge presence in many forms of exposure outside of Nascar, they air most of their commercials during races and still sponsor awards int he sport.

5. Dodgeguy1961

Dodgeguy1961 Well-Known Member

what you yearn for is a bygone era in NASCAR. It's what made it a great sport but that era is long gone. Nowadays the grey areas that manufacturers have to operate and innovate is a much smaller window and requires some very good engineering. A gain of a few hundredths in time is a huge gain. The technology is completely different from the old days. But the goal is still the same to beat your competitors on Sunday. The competition has to fair. And we know so much more about aero nowadays as compared to the era that you want to return to. Plus there is the safety factor. Street cars with roll cages don't cut it anymore. My hope is that NASCAR continues to evolve and make the cars look more like their street counterparts while still maintaining safety, parity and exciting racing. And I hope that Dodge is part of that future.

Beentherebefore and Doug D like this.
  6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

How long have you followed Nascar ?

7. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

"I hate to say it and give Toyota credit, but Dodge needs to copy their recipe."

I agree! Start by building a quality product that does not need a rebate to sell. Do that for 50 - 60 years THEN get into Nascar, just like Toyota did.

Does Nascar understand that part of their problem is that they let Toyota race in the first place?
    Actually, Japanese cars all need to go. The President-elect needs to start there... They are the BIGGEST reason why the middle class manufacturing jobs are gone. TRILLIONS of US dollars going overseas... China is right behind. (sorry for speaking the truth, for those folks that are touchy)
    Question: Why are Americans so stupid? You don't see the Japanese buying up US cars!

danbek, Dave Z and valiant67 like this.
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

You can add NHRA to your list but that's about it. You are 100% correct on their airing commercials during Nascar races without participating. That just highlights the performance of their main market competitors which is marketing insanity. Applying all that advertising $$$ to actually enter your products in the races will do a heck of a lot more for a "performance" image.

dyslexic teddybear and Dave Z like this.
  9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Got any pictures of the 2020 Mopars? I'm figuring that if SM isn't just blowing smoke here, it will take that long for them to line up a halfway competitive team, engine shop, and do all the required updating to the bodies and motors. In the meantime there may (again) be financial or product problems which could scuttle the program before it ever "hatches". That almost happened in their last Nascar re-entry between the 1999 announcement and the 2001 final product appearance on the track.

Right now, SM's side of the ledger is still empty as far as I'm concerned.

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

They are not going to have a lot of options to choose from. Probably the Petty operation since they are so far down in the Ford pecking order that they likely are already making inquiries. But they no longer have their own engine shop so that would require Dodge to fund or build one - maybe Joey Arrington would be willing to switch back to building Mopars if he can tear the company away from building Toyota Nascar motors. Unfortunately, as Norm always maintained in these discussions, no really top line teams who might consider switching to building/racing Dodges can really trust the company to stay in it for the long haul.

dodgeismycar likes this.
  11. Dodgeguy1961

Since the 70's.

pentastarpunk likes this.
  12. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

I could not agree more! In the past I was an avid Dodge fan in Nascar and was so proud for Bad Brad and Penske when they won the title. At that moment Dodge was done in Nascar. Since that time Nascar has declined. There is no title sponsor for 2017. One word for going back into Nascar, STUPID!

13. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

I basically stopped watching when they went to the cookie cutter designs, and started looking at other racing series. THe big problem with some of the others is the inability to "put it in a box" for ticket sales, consessions, etc: there's just no way to get a WRC or WTC or other road race course into a stadium to sell concessions in. That's why a lot of them fail, and the main reason NASCAR is still going, despite being almost an insult to its own origins. I actually think GRC is probably the closest to what NASCAR used to be and its origins: moonshine runners would have loved those things. Granted it hasn't taken off: nor has much else other than NASCAR and drag racing (which can also be easily "put into a box.").

Dave Z likes this.
  14. Dodgeguy1961

They have just signed Monster Energy as the new Title Sponsor for the Sprint Cup Series. And I think this is a deliberate attempt to attract younger viewers. And you are correct that NASCAR has declined in attendance and viewership just like other times in the past when the economy was down. People don't have that kind of disposable income anymore. But, hopefully, things are looking up and Sergio must think so too. And I'm beyond happy that SM is wanting to invest in the Dodge brand again.

15. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Would Andretti be in the picture ? They almost had a deal struck before Dodge left the last time.

Mopar Jerry and pentastarpunk like this.
  16. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good afternoon I personally am going to enjoy this news as long as possible (LOL) also perhaps Childress might be tired of being second fiddle - and he is only second because S.H. has moved to another mfg.- Ralph himself said that they were on SRT's radar four & half years ago. A solid commitment from FCA would definitely be needed however. MOPAR Always!
    '

Dodgeguy1961 and pentastarpunk like this.
  17. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Don't get your hopes up boys and girls... there is always more to the story.

Mike

18. hemirunner426

hemirunner426 Active Member

People,please don't take Sergio's word to heart.To me he has proven his talk is exactly that, just talk.In fact he talks to much,he rambles on about anything and everything.Nothing he says is the truth.He puts things out there to troll and see what the reactions are.Sergio might be able to manage in a crisis but day to day,with a little foresight he is lost.

Beentherebefore and duster92 like this.
  19. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I won’t say nothing he says is truth, but he does say a lot that doesn’t happen. I won’t say he intentionally says mis-leading things, either. I think he means what he says, when he says it, but changes plans very frequently to match changes.

Beentherebefore and DC-93 like this.
  20. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Well-Known Member

The part I like best is he had dinner with the Frances and Ralph's tweet. I am gonna say this moves us from not if but when. However I would think '19 or '20 before we see action. But who knows I have never bought the story that NW/X zombie Dodges were running ford power under the hood. Secondly, by rule the Challenger body should have been illegal after '14 and yet they are still there with full branding, I would not at all be shocked at confirmation of a return sometime in '17, with a target of the '19 or '20 Daytona 500.

danbek and Dodgeguy1961 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.