Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

That ain't much for a brand that used to dominate in Nascar, USAC, ARCA, IMCA, NHRA door and Funny Cars, and ran quite competitively in Trans AM, Sports Sedans, Off Road, Sprint & WOO cars, and even IRL type cars.

#1141 Beentherebefore, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Mopar Jerry and mdh1776 like this.
  2. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I do Pine for the glory days. I was too late for NHRA of the sixties/seventies and the 1970 Trans Am season, but I do fondly remember being a boy and seeing the end of the Richard Petty Mopars. I really got into Mopars from the Off Road racing they sponsored; mostly Walker Evans’ Class 8 Ram, Don Adams’ Class 4 CJ, and Roger Mears Class 3 Honcho.

When AMC/Jeep was bought by Chrysler, it was like heaven for me.

Fast Eddie likes this.
  3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I posted some of those Off Road Racing Mopars on the thread in the historical section but I only followed off-road peripherally, mainly through the Mopar and Dodge ads which were ubiqiuitous in just about any performance publication in the 80s and 90s. Add whatever you might have lying around. I started that thread knowing that there were a lot of Mopar off-road fans here (RIP, Norm).

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

5. Dodgeguy1961

Dodgeguy1961 Well-Known Member

It makes Toyota seem more like an American brand to consumers. And it's another form of advertising for them.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  6. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I think it was @aldo90731 who mentioned that Toyota was getting feedback that their customers wanted more "sporty-ness" from the brand, so it's way cheaper to advertise itself racing RWD, V8 sedans than actually build and sell one. Also, anyone notice how Toyota's ads on TV are heavily weighted toward how their cars are fast or race inspired? They are desperately trying to make people forget they sell boring, reliable appliances. Meanwhile at Dodge, they have the most track ready lineup available. I wouldn't blame Dodge for spuring the notion of competing with brands that lie about what vehicle it races. If the S in NASCAR meant anything, they could at the very least require the drive wheels to be the same with the production model.

7. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I take it this is indictment on NASCAR more than on Toyota. Don't Ford and GM do the same racing supposedly RWD "Fusions" and "Malibus" that don't really exist?

Joining NASCAR is more an effort to grow presence in the middle of the country, which is the domestics' traditional turf. Growing presence there would not only help Toyota sell more Camrys and Corollas, but also more Tundras and Sequoias. And there's where the money is.

And yes, Toyota is trying to expand its brand definition beyond reliable, into sporty and attractive styling. The thing is, Toyota is in a much better position to get away with claiming sporty and attractive, than Dodge is to claim reliable. A reputation for quality buys Toyota much more consumer goodwill, than the goodwill Dodge gets from a reputation in performance.

#1147 aldo90731, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  8. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Active Member

Actually Chevy races the "SS" which is a rear wheel drive V-8 production car, but it's being discontinued, and next year they're racing Camaros. I'm not a Chevy guy, but hey at least they are making an effort to "look" stock, or at least the same basic car as what they sell.

I'm guessing that since Chevy went to the Camaro, Ford will probably announce a switch at some point, to the mustang, just makes sense.

At that point the only one not racing a NASCAR version of a real car... would be Toyota...

Also, there have been some "down-low" rumblings that NASCAR is "encouraging", if not requiring, the manufacturers to race a car based on a coupe (2 door). Obviously Camaro, Mustang, and potentially Challenger, would seem to be the perfect fit. That leaves the question again of what will Toyota do...

In the real world, I think the only thing they sell a V8 in is a truck or SUV...

GasAxe and aldo90731 like this.
  9. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

What Toyota will do is write a bigger check to NASCAR, Fox, NBC and anyone else who has any influence.

Clinton H Davis likes this.
  10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Toyota has the 86. Although it'll be a hell of a job jamming the Tundra 5.7L V8 in the front.

11. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

LS swaps are common on the 86 already.

The Toyota nascar V8 is not related to the engine used in the Tundra.

Mike

12. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

I don't think that's what he was saying. More that Toyota does make a rwd vehicle and a v8, just not in that combination right now.

13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Or ever. Thir closest car will be the "supra" which will only have a i6 if the rumors are true

14. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I understood what he was saying... I’m just making a point that it could be possible for a V8 fit...

Mike

15. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Active Member

Well, Bubba is officially in the 43 next year. I thought it was interesting that one story I read specifically noted that there was no mention of “Ford” or any other manufacturer for the car...

Devildodge likes this.
  16. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good morning Glad to see Bubba get a ride ,that young man can wheel a car. Future starting to look a little brighter for the 43,but still no word on Mfg. for next year. Now that Furniture Row is down to one car ... MOPAR Always!

Dodgeguy1961 and Devildodge like this.
  17. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

The rumor mill sure has been quiet lately about a return for Dodge to NASCAR. What gives there?

18. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

After 5 years folks are catching on... Dodge is not getting back into Nascar.
    As they say, "Move along folks, nothing to see here. Shows over."

GasAxe likes this.
  19. Meester Beeg

Meester Beeg Active Member

Those Camaros and Mustangs are only stock looking. The wheelbase meets the rules and is larger than the production piece. Just like the Toyotas.
    Toyota had to go back 50 years in design to produce the nascar engine.
    Used to be the roof and trunk lid were production pieces but I dont think that is true any more.
    And the s in nascar does stand for something
    ...na$car.

20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

With questions now abounding about how much longer Dodge will even be building "cars" (see "Rumors and Speculation" forum), why would they?