Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

1. BrianinMpls

BrianinMpls Member

I agree, but do we think these current versions of drivers can handle a car that wont stick in every turn? wasnt the old way was learn how to take your car to the limit without crashing the field? I dont mind the occational slip up but it seems from afar that the current breed find cant modify their style to fit the moment, its balls to the wall to the front or become a back marker, not able to make up ground when it counts. just my 1.5 cents.

2. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

I think doing away with the splitter and returning to a valence would do a lot. I think another issue with the current cars is how they run them on the bump stops. They have no suspension travel while at speed on the racetrack. I think a minimum ride height and a minimum spring rate would go a long way. Numerous safety advances have taken place over the past decade or so, and cars don't get off the ground the way they used to. Run of valence, get the cars off the racetrack a little bit, and do away with the side skirts that sell them to the track and I think you would have a lot better racing.

Supposedly the New Gen 7 cars will direct air through the front bumper and out through a cowl in the hood. The Xfinity series ran something similar at Indianapolis this year with ducts that allowed air to pass through the front fascia. I thought that was some of the best racing that we've seen at Indianapolis in years. I imagine we'll see it more next year.

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Another indication that all TV sports viewership (not just Nascar) is continuing to decline. Yesterday's WSJ reported that Disney's 4th quarter earnings were off 3%, dragged down by a 12% drop in income from it's media networks unit "whose crown jewel is ESPN". ESPN does not carry any Nascar racing and, as far as I know, carries no motorsports programming at all. The article states that the "sports juggernaut (ESPN) continues to grapple with sweeping changes in the media business".

AvengerGuy and mdh1776 like this.
  4. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

I mentioned this when we were talking about the NFL earlier, and I'll say it again. When you inject politics into sports and sports media, you hurt your business. I don't care which side of the political fence you fall on, it remains the same. The population is mostly evently split when it comes to politics. Assume both major candidates are only 1 or 2% apart come election day. To make the math easy, say one candidate wins with 50.5%, one loses with 49.5%. When an outlet like ESPN is vocally against and critical of the winner, you alienate 50.5% of your audience. Same thing with the NFL. You allow politics into your business and you can assume, at best, you're going against half of your viewership who then stop consuming your content. And these companies wonder why they are bleeding viewers.

That isn't me supporting one candidate, party, or platform. That's me giving an observation. If sports teams, leagues, and media outlets would stick to their intended purpose, playing or reporting on sports, I think you wouldn't be seeing these declines. At least not to the degree you are right now.

Edit to add: I think NASCAR got too big too quickly in the late 90s/early 2000s, and is right sizing itself. I don't see doom and gloom. The sport is in a transitional period but it isn't on its deathbed as so many want to say.

#1304 mdh1776, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I don't watch NASCAR at all anymore either if I need my Dodge stock car fix, I watch old IROC videos from the 1990s (Daytonas and Avengers)...

Or old Cup highlights

Or old finishes...

mdh1776 and MPE426HEMI like this.
  6. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

I love that Daytona finish!! All over those Toyotas.
    Can't wait to see this scenario again in 2020.

7. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

Spot on. NASCAR alienated D's a long time ago during the 2004 cycle and the NFL is doing it to R's now. Dollar bills don't come with D's and R's on them.

mdh1776 likes this.
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I think that all sports are in transition and I don't think it has anything really to do with politics. I see as many sports fans around me as always. What is changing is that most of the younger generations go to their personal media devices to follow their favorite sports and don't necessarily sit around in front of a TV for a full football game or Nascar race. For that matter, you might just as well say that all of society is now in transition.

AvengerGuy and mdh1776 like this.
  9. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Man guys are doubting you hard on the racing forum, i'd say something over there but i don't feel like making an account

mdh1776 likes this.
  10. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

Don't worry about it. I just like to give them something to talk about. There is just too much fire that something is not going down. Nearly every rumor, article, internet convo, or anything just seems to be coming together.

mdh1776 and danbek like this.
  11. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

@redriderbob I believe the NASCAR rules state that a manufacturer must submit body renderings for approval by Oct 1 2017 to be able to run in 2019. Any idea if that happened? I look forward to any details you can provide. So many people with "sources" say Dodge isn't coming back. This off season is going to feel like it takes a year to pass. 96 days until the 500... Hope we hear something during speed weeks.

Edit to add the actual rule:
    Any manufacturer wanting to come into NASCAR for the 2019 season would have had to make a formal request by September 2017. The current NASCAR rules require race-car renderings for new models to be submitted by more than a year before they ever are raced on the track. The deadline is Oct. 1 (more than 15 months before the actual debut), if the production car is already in production, and Jan. 1 (13 months before the debut), if the production car will start being sold in the year the Cup model debuts. A full-scale race car must be submitted to NASCAR by April 1 prior to the year of debut.

#1311 mdh1776, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  12. mopar22

I'm guessing a full scale car was submitted at some point if rcr was doing testing earlier this year. Testing may not have went well but that's just things that will take time to iron out after being out for a couple years. Just curious where you've seen insiders saying they weren't coming back since most say they are

mdh1776 likes this.
  13. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Racing forums mostly. And a lot of people here insist that they aren't either.

I would also say that the testing that RCR conducted earlier was with an engine. Supposedly the testing produced results that were way off and not competitive. I'd wager it was dyno testing of an ECR built R6/P8 engine, which has led to SRT working on updating it. The R6/P8 was designed for fuel injection, but not the tapered spacer. I imagine that's where the trouble is.

#1313 mdh1776, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. mopar22

That's not really insiders though, that's just people thinking that. Most insiders have said they heard some sort of talk about it and i'm gonna guess it's pretty damn close to official if not official since bob said something about it. If i'm not mistaken i believe a year ago he said he didn't believe they were coming back anytime soon but here we are he had his sources say something to him. I'd believe bob over almost anyone else on the racing forums just because we know what he has been right about before

15. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Yes, me too.

16. ChargerZ

ChargerZ Member

I still say that if the 2013 Charger was submitted to Nascar for approval it would still be a valid model and it would only need updating . Not being an expert of the rule book would that mean that Dodge would have to submit a request by Jan or April?

17. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Formally request to join the sport by Sept, submit drawings of the model by Oct, then a full scale race vehicle by April of next year.

18. mopar22

Technically was never fully approved since they were still adjusting aero by the time Dodge backed out

mdh1776 likes this.
  19. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

The R6/P8 was finished in 2007 and was slowly integrated into the series in 2008 and 2009.

mdh1776 likes this.
  20. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

That predates the introduction of fuel injection by a few years, perhaps I misunderstood the comment about the engine by @redriderbob.