Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

1. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

If i'm not mistaken the top end of the engine was redesigned for their last year then halfway through the year they had an even better piece that penske didn't know dodge was making that they got to use for the rest of the year. My guess is the power is a little down compared to what they're used to since it's been a hot minute. All they need is some of rcr engineers and dodge engineers to work together since the engine was already really freaking good since it didn't blow/overheat the final year but wasn't the best on power unless it was superspeedway

mdh1776 likes this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

To be clear, the Penske R6 had oil pump mounted on the passenger side of the engine and the drive system for components on the front of the engine was different from the rest of the Dodge teams.

Mike

mdh1776 likes this.
  3. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Sounds right, I remember something about that. Maybe Eddie can give more details.

4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

From what I just heard (from what I would call a “sometimes” reliable source) is that Mopar’s return to NASCAR is “pretty much a done deal, but not a done deal.” Meaning details and timing and things need to be worked out, but the parties involved (NASACAR and FCA/Dodge/Mopar/SRT, no temas) are committed to doing it.

Mopar Jerry and mdh1776 like this.
  5. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

It's all coming together. I'll be surprised if RCR doesn't switch for 2019.

6. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

Just a guess but it is RCR/RPM or bust at this point. RPM doesn't even have a shop for 2018 yet to my knowledge, they have to be going under roof with somebody. The 27 seat remains open as far as I know. Everybody else pretty well locked in at this point. So unless it is somebody sitting quietly on the sidelines with Edwards waiting to be the wheelman it is staring us in the face who the teams are, imo.

mdh1776 likes this.
  7. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Completely agree Robert.

8. mopar22

Don't you see?! It's gonna be Dodge Motorsports as the team with Kenseth, Kurt Busch, Biffle, and Edwards

Robert J Sublett likes this.
  9. Robert J Sublett

Wow, don't forget Patrick at the Xfinity level.

10. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Except the trend has to sign the younger drivers - Elliott, Blaney, Bayne, Dillion brothers, Suarez, LaJoie to name a few. Matt, Kurt, Greg and Carl are not exactly young anymore. There is a youth movement of sorts afoot. Matt won't sign with just anyone - it will have to be a quality team. I would be surprised if he signed with a start up team. And not to mention the earliest Dodge would be back in 2019 at this point. I'm guessing it'll be 2020 before they are back and even then it may only be at the Xffinity or Truck level.

11. Robert J Sublett

Nope I am sticking 2019--RCR/RPM

12. mopar22

Sorry i forgot to add onto the Dodge Motorsports 2 (dodges other cup team) They'll have Dale Jr, Kyle Petty, Waltrip, and Gordon. But for real i was joking. I'm pretty sure it will be Rcr and Petty and maybe Andretti down the line if he's feeling a cup team again

Doug D likes this.
  13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

My guess (if this is all true, of course) is that Kasey Kahne would be more than willing to come back to driving a Dodge again. His best year, by far, was when he won 6 races in an Evernham Dodge. Now he is signed with a 3rd level team.

MPE426HEMI and Mopar Jerry like this.
  14. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Yup in 2006. Also had 6 poles. Should have had the cup that year!
    Kaseykahnedodgecharger.jpg

15. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

I know this will be a shock to most of you, but... Danica Patrick will retire after running the Daytona 500 and Indy 500 next year.

Clinton H Davis and MPE426HEMI like this.
  16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Interesting who will be offering her the rides..........

Ganassi, Team Danica discuss possibilities for 2018 partnership (at http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/21452904/ganassi-team-danica-discuss-2018-partnership )

So far, she's been more "bark" than "bite" but she's sure to draw plenty of attention for whatever car manufacturers' she drives for.

17. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

I wonder if today will mark the end for Dodge in the Xfinity series. Mike Harmon is sitting out his start and park Challenger in favor of John Graham, the Canadian driver. With the new special sheet metal requirement next year, there may not be a Dodge body being produced, so he might tell Graham to drive for a win, and if it blows or crashes, there is little lost.

As frustrating as it is to watch the two or three S&P Dodges, it would be sad to not see them on the track.

Clinton H Davis likes this.
  18. mopar22

you answered your own question, body will not be legal

19. Robert J Sublett

But 2019 is just months away..

mdh1776 likes this.
  20. mopar22

Body still wouldn't be legal till dodge is back and get re approval