Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Clinton H Davis likes this.
  2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Back around the Millenium, Roush had the best "Farm Club" out there. Roush/Ford started them in trucks, then to Busch, and then to Cup. They brought up Kurt Busch, Edwards, Biffle, and several others. IMO, Toyota used Roush's system as a model and now has the best "Farm Club" starting with the K&N series (they have been dominating K&N West) and then up through Kyle Busch's truck teams which are TRD/Gibbs supported. This sounds like Roush finally realized that it was a mistake to give up his system.

3. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

Be interesting to see if it works out. Clear though that Roush will never be top dog at Ford with his team again.

4. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Roush says he is down to a 3 year window for retirement:

Jack Roush, one of NASCAR's most successful owners and a pioneer in bringing engineering technology into the sport with his multi-car Ford teams, has used the R word.

Retire.

"I expected to have better years than (winless) 2016 and 2015," Roush said to The (Phoenix) Arizona Republic in advance of Sunday's Camping World 500 at Phoenix Raceway. "Had I realized I had those years in front of me, I might have decided to side-step and retire.

"I'm 74. I can't do what I'm doing today for another 10 years. My window is, the longest I've been able to predict what I was going to do in life, has been five years. I'm probably down to a three-year window. I'm looking at how I can be useful."

Roush, whose partner is Boston Red Sox principal owner John Henry, has 135 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victories since he began with Mark Martin in 1988. Matt Kenseth, Kurt Busch, Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle and Jeff Burton are some of the other drivers he's brought into Cup. Edwards' two wins in 2014 are Roush's most recent.
    His drivers combined for only 11 top-five finishes the past two years. Once a five-car powerhouse, Roush is down to two teams, the No. 6 AdvoCare Ford for Trevor Bayne and the No. 17 Fastenal Fusion for Ricky Stenhouse Jr. Their best thus far was Bayne's 10th in the Daytona 500. In the second-tier Xfinity Series, Ryan Reed won the Daytona season-opener for the second time in three years in the No. 16 Lilly Diabetes Mustang.

Two years ago, Roush reorganized his team, investing more in technology and people he thought knew how to use it to go fast. Now?

"We've restructured our management group to be able to operate with greater independence from me," said the graduate-level mathematician who employs 6,000 people at a Michigan engineering company. "And without as much of the inspiration for what we do as, maybe, I've been in the past.

"The race team, with the partnership we've got with John Henry and the Fenway Sports Group, has got plenty of depth. As long as ... we're able to make a viable business out of it, I'm sure the people that will follow me and will manage the affairs after my passing, they will look favorably on the involvement."

mdh1776 likes this.
  5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Roush may slowly be fading from Nascar competitiveness but his engineering company will probably continue to survive. They are into all sorts of performance things - I believe that they make all the NHRA Funny Car bodies, including the "Dodges" and I think that they also do other things for FCA, under contract.

IMO, Roush was always a hands-on owner in Nascar. I remember him personally inspecting the spark plugs on Mark Martin's racecar after hot-lapping. Can you see Penske doing that? Roush probably relied on his own personal engineering expertise long after the other top teams had moved on to rely much more on computer simulations.

P.S. IIRC, Penske is actually a year or two older than Roush.

6. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

5 years, Roger Penske is 80 and Jack Roush is 75. Jack doesn't look to be in as good as health as Roger though. I suppose 2 plane crashes have taken their toll on him.

7. Meester Beeg

Meester Beeg Active Member

Anyone remember the Gapp and Roush Pro Stock team?
    Jack has been in the bidness a long, long time. And before that he was an engineer at....Chrysler.

Smitman and AvengerGuy like this.
  8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I remember it well. They were racing in NHRA Pro Stock almost from the beginning. IIRC, Roush then went racing in Sporty Car series before he entered Nascar. Too bad that Chrysler didn't hang on to him.

AvengerGuy likes this.
  9. Dodgeguy1961

Dodgeguy1961 Well-Known Member

I heard on the radio that Ford will have a new car in 2019 in NASCAR.

mdh1776 likes this.
  10. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Roush Industries did most of the work building the test cars for the LX and JA and LH programs for us.

mdh1776 likes this.
  11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

For you skeptics about the value of participating in Nascar, here is an article from a pretty authoritative source (Autoweek) quoting racing execs from the 3 manufacturers that do participate, stating that the image of the entire line of their products is enhanced by their Nascar participation and not just the specific model that they field in the races - exactly what I and many others on this thread have been emphasizing for years.

'Win on Sunday, sell on Monday' still matters in NASCAR (at http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/race-sunday-sell-monday-still-matters-nascar )

12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

ESPN laying off another 150 employees as per article in yesterday's "L.A. Times" Business section. The paring back of staff "comes as the sports outlet has been struggling to adapt to changes in consumers' television viewing habits". According to the article, ESPN will be putting more emphasis on "streaming service" to personal viewing devices. In 2010 ESPN was available in over 100 million homes but it is now down to about 87 million according to recent Nielsen data.

As I mentioned back in post #1303, ESPN no longer carries any Nascar racing though, IIRC, they are currently negotiating to possibly carry F-1.

It appears that all traditional forms of sports viewing are dropping, not just Nascar. Are there fewer sports fans now than, say, 5 years ago? I doubt it - not from what I'm seeing/hearing.

#1392 Beentherebefore, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    mdh1776 likes this.
  13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Yes, fans are leaving traditional sports because Networks like ESPN and the athletes have politicized sports and made people turn them off.

There are hundreds of news articles showing tickets sales and ratings are down across all sports. Only the MLB was able to hang on this season and see regular increases in ratings and tickets sales

Mike

14. Dodgeguy1961

Dodgeguy1961 Well-Known Member

15. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

The rumors are coming true. Part of the plan was rumored to be RPM entering into a technical alliance with RCR, with both of them switching to Dodge in 2019. We can move that from the rumor list and add it to the list of evidence pointing to a Dodge return.

16. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Hell Petty was interviewed apparently and skirted around the question about being with chevy or an alliance with rcr

17. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

I don't wish to be a skeptic, but Childress ever running anything that doesn't have a bow tie on the front is just a pipedream. IMHO. Some of those guys would rather be on a 4th teet then run a Dodge.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  18. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

RCR has been testing with Dodge for over a year. They've been in talks off and on since 2013.

19. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Until the ink's dry on the contract I'll believe it when I see it. With that said, if he does I'll send you PM informing you that you were spot on all along and with that, my apologies.

Beentherebefore, danbek and mdh1776 like this.
  20. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

No need for that. Buy a shirt or diecast and support the effort. Make sure Dodge knows we're happy they're back.