Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Active Member

While I get what your saying, there are cars being sold these days that would be closer to what NASCAR is doing. That said, forget "sedans", a Challenger Hellcat can go 199mph...

It'll never happen, but would be cool to see.

2. Mopar Racer

Mopar Racer Member

Allow me to throw more fuel on the fire. I have a source (a former RCR insider) tell me a month ago that FCA is buying Earnhardt Childress Racing Engines (the company).

Dodgeguy1961 and Jason Hanson like this.
  3. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Well that is surely interesting.

4. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

5. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Is there a time table that can be shared as to when all the ducks line up for THE RETURN??

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

If true, it won't be cheap for FCA, but would certainly solve the problem of having to find a reliable engine shop. This whole deal will end up costing them 2 or 3 times what it would have cost to just remain with Penske.

Also, if true, I can see several other possible advantages coming out of such a purchase - a shop of sufficient capacity and experience to provide motors for several other major racing series (Outlaws, Sprint Cars, Nascar Trucks, K&N East/West, Whelen modifieds ) a la Roush-Yates' shop. I can't see ECR hurting for customers right now, seeing as how many "Brand C" motors are being run in those series but maybe they're falling far enough behind other "Brand C" engine shops that he sees greater marketing possibilities for building and leasing/selling Mopar motors.

JavelinAMX and MPE426HEMI like this.
  7. Mopar Racer

Mopar Racer Member

8. Mopar Racer

Mopar Racer Member

I will also say the source told me that RCR receives very little support from General Motors, which explains all the RCR to Dodge rumors we've been hearing.

9. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

Most say Speedweeks in Daytona. Car revealed and teams officially announced at MIS in June. Provided all stays on course.

mdh1776 likes this.
  10. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Don’t forget, nascar will be helping out in any way they can. They are so hurting right now (ratings and ticket sales) they want the most interest and exposure possible and that includes getting more manus involved.

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

"Very little support" from "Brand C" still often exceeds the support that Mopar is willing to give.

Adventurer55 and GasAxe like this.
  12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yes, I agree. For that reason I suspect that Nascar might be a little more forgiving about Mopar meeting all their timelines as far as submitting proposed bodies for review etc.

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Does that mean that the proposed Mopar Nascar body has already been submitted for approval? As I believe was discussed on this thread a while back, they would normally be required to submit the body to Nascar for approval by Sept '17 to be legal for race participation in 2019.

14. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

That's what the rule book says, yes. As far as I know, we have not gotten confirmation that a body was submitted to NASCAR. But based on the comments by @redriderbob, with an announcement likely at Daytona, one would assume that a body has been submitted. I say that with a grain of salt, because rule #5 is 'assumption is the mother of all f-ups'. I've also been told that 2020 is becoming more likely. We'll all find out together in February.

15. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

2020 means that Childress & Petty would have to go 2 full years with whatever support they get from "Brand C" slowly shriveling up. They could have a very, very bad year in 2019. If the body has indeed been submitted to Nascar for approval, I can't imagine that any currently operating teams would be willing to run for over a year without any factory support..........plus, if history is any indicator, they run the risk that FCA could change it's mind again about support for Nascar teams. Petty ent. probably knows that better than anyone.They'll be pushing like all H#ll to get something on the track by 2019.

16. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

This is a render, and absolutely nothing more. Don't take this picture as meaning Penske is switching. It's only a 'what if'. And it's gorgeous.

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like the image will embed, so the link is https://i.redd.it/6tohzqq24r401.png

DrMark and Dodgeguy1961 like this.
  17. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm deviating too far from the thread intent, and if so, I apologize. However, it is about NASCAR, and it's about the last Mopar from their heydays. Not sure if anyone followed Buddy Arrington back in the seventies and eighties, but if interested, this is an excerpt from a post I made on another forum more than twenty years ago.

"There are a couple of things that weren’t mentioned about his career. One was that like most drivers, he had a fan club, but his was somewhat unique. A young man from PA, by the name of Bob Laird, ran the club, edited the newsletter and served as an unpaid pit crew member at the races where he could afford to travel. That gave us club members a first-person perspective on Buddy’s performance at the track, and also a direct liaison to the driver. No slick PR releases, just the unvarnished facts about the entire operation. Oftentimes the news was discouraging, but we always felt that we were part of the team, not just a newsletter subscriber.

Additionally, the club was a secondary source of funding for the #67 Mopars. Bob would auction off broken parts, worn out tires, old driving suits, helmets, etc. to club members, with the proceeds going to the race effort. If the call went out, club members would donate cash to buy a new set of tires that would be held in reserve if Buddy was running good enough to make it worthwhile to put on new tires. The rest of the time he ran worn, hand-me-down tires from other racers, and just didn’t abuse them. Tires were a necessary expense if you wanted to run up front, and worn tires relegated you to mid-pack, even if the car had the power and handling to compete with the big boys.

Chrysler was not involved with his operation, but now and then someone with pull at the factory, or a group of race fans at Chrysler, would send a piece of sheet metal or other needed part to Buddy’s shop, so there was a small amount of unofficial help from inside the corporation.

Another thing not mentioned was the NASCAR requirement for cars to run the type of suspension the factory installed, so Buddy had to run torsion bars while all the rest used coil springs. That meant Buddy couldn’t buy a proven chassis design from one of the big fabricators, and had to design and build the chassis himself. Despite his request, NASCAR wouldn’t change the rule.

When the switch was made to Ford, I stopped supporting the effort and lost the inside scoop, but I know he ran better with modern, one-year-old equipment from Bill Elliott, rather than his patchwork of Mopar parts, some of which were a decade old. Buddy couldn’t afford new engine blocks and heads, so they scrounged junkyard 340s that Joey built up. Late in the Mopar years they were having a hard time finding blocks and heads in rebuildable condition, so that was another strike against them.

We knew the Mopar era was going away, but it was a good time to be a race fan, especially if your driver was one of independents that made up the heart and soul of Winston Cup. Jimmy Means, JD McDuffie, Elmo Langley, and others had their own race going mid-pack and it was as exciting as what was happening upfront. I always thought of Buddy as Mr. ‘teenth, since that was where he usually finished…somewhere between twelfth and 20th, and he was always one of the highest finishing independents."

mdh1776 likes this.
  18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I’d assume...

Thatbthe body has been submitted, and it is based heavily on the abortive body from a few years ago.

If the body is ready/submitted? Doesn’t that mean the cars have seen track time? Or am I just being n00b?

19. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I’m gonna go with it was submitted probbaky around then time rcr was looking over testing results. Also i read somewhere recently that auto club(not sure if it’s still called that) was mostly closed to the public and the tour guide said it’s was due to testing of Chevy, ford, and dodge.

mdh1776 likes this.
  20. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Hadn't heard that before.